Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished head swap, loss of some oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Did I blow it up??? Finished head swap, loss of some oil pressure?

So we finshed up my head swap tonight, added TSP stg 2.5 5.3 heads with LS7 Lifters. Started it up was alil noisy at first but quieted down pretty quick. Runs just fine but I have less oil pressure for some reason. I usually have about 39-42 lbs at idle and about 50 just cruisin. After I let it warm up I took it on like a 5-10 mile trip and noticed I only had about 40-42 psi driving and 28-30 at idle now. What could be goin on here? Oil is full and clean.

Last edited by HottLS1Z; 03-19-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just put new heads on and noticed that my oil pressure was higher than normal but I did put in Valvoline 10w 30 a change from 5w 30 that might be worth a shot but you are still in operating range so your safe.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

also check the gague and sending unit out just to be shure. hook up another gague just to see if you are reading right.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you said the oil is full and clean... Did you change the oil and filter after the swap or just check it? I know after doing my head swap when taking the head off coolant will come out and get inside and after a few miles of driving will turn the oil milky b/c the coolant mixture. If you havent changed the oil and filter that would be my first recommendation, then check your pressure sending unit as they seem to be weak and easily broken.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Oil is clean not milky at all. Turn for the worst...had to cut my exhaust right after the collector so went to go to exhaust shop to get that welded up. After about 15 min of driving there I notice at the stop lights my oil pressure is now getting lower and lower until it got to about 25psi. I figure this is nuts so I get ready to pull into a parking lot and all the sudden it looses most of its power I pull into the closest parking lot and it just dies. Check oil everything is fine except theres like steam or smoke coming from the dip stick. went to start it back up and cranked really slow and didnt want to stay running then started chaddering and making this loud like knocking sound. While waiting for a tow I pulled the valve covers and all the rockers are on and tight. got it home and I can get it to start but it has a hard time starting and something is making a loud tapping/knocking sound. WTH happened????????
Old 03-19-2008, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Also to keep it running at an idle I have to give it some gas or it just wants to die.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hope its not the problem but it sounds like a rod bearing which means rebuild time. Another stupid question but did u make sure to tighten and check the ground wires in the back of the head to make sure they are tight? I forgot to do this and it made my car buck and die and oil pressure gauge to go haywire.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Change the oil and filter. The oil is nasty, but may not seem it just by looking at the dipstick. The filter is clogged with nasty graphite gasket, which will lower your oil pressure significantly. My oil pressure was WAY lower after my head swap. Changed the oil twice, and it's back to normal. Been that way for 6000 miles.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
Change the oil and filter. The oil is nasty, but may not seem it just by looking at the dipstick. The filter is clogged with nasty graphite gasket, which will lower your oil pressure significantly. My oil pressure was WAY lower after my head swap. Changed the oil twice, and it's back to normal. Been that way for 6000 miles.

Hope this helps.
was it making any noises from the engine like chaddering/knocking sounds?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

anyone??? this is drivin me nuts
Old 03-19-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pull the oil filter off and cut it open. If it's full of gasket crap then I would say the filter was plugged.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HottLS1Z
Oil is clean not milky at all. Turn for the worst...had to cut my exhaust right after the collector so went to go to exhaust shop to get that welded up. After about 15 min of driving there I notice at the stop lights my oil pressure is now getting lower and lower until it got to about 25psi. I figure this is nuts so I get ready to pull into a parking lot and all the sudden it looses most of its power I pull into the closest parking lot and it just dies. Check oil everything is fine except theres like steam or smoke coming from the dip stick. went to start it back up and cranked really slow and didnt want to stay running then started chaddering and making this loud like knocking sound. While waiting for a tow I pulled the valve covers and all the rockers are on and tight. got it home and I can get it to start but it has a hard time starting and something is making a loud tapping/knocking sound. WTH happened????????

anything on this ppl?
Old 03-20-2008, 02:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You mean you were running with no exhaust past the collector?

I say you burnt up a head or warped it.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't sound promising. Was the temperature OK? Pull the drain plug and see if you get any clues from the oil. Turn it over by hand - is it tight?
Old 03-20-2008, 05:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Like DaddySS said, try turning it over by hand, drain the oil and check the plug. Do remember what the temp gauge was reading?

can you verify where the sounds is coming from? i.e. bottem end or top. This is just a shot in the dark, but if the oil pump went bad (or had old gasket clogging the oil system somewhere as previously stated), could that cause the lifters to collapse and possibly cause the sound you're hearing? Which could maybe trip the knock sensor causing the loss of power? Maybe it's wishful thinking. I hope it's not a bad bearing man.

Good luck,
Roy

heavymetals, WTF are you talking about!?!?! I seriously doubt he warped a head. He's got LTs to begin with, so sucking air back into the head from the exhuast would be unlikely, and very minimal at most. And I think the car would run richer if the open headers were effecting the O2 readings. Further more, a warped head would probably cause the head gasket to fail thus causing coolant in oil which he does not have.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

Yes temp was normal. Guess after work today I'll pull the filter and drain the oil and check the plug...
Old 03-20-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When you pull that filter and plug(if magnetic) check for metal shavings as well, hope u dont have any or u got some bad news coming most likely.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by heavymetals
You mean you were running with no exhaust past the collector?

I say you burnt up a head or warped it.
Running exhaust through LT's wont do that. the exhaust has nothing to do with it
Old 03-20-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LIke said above make shure your power supply is good recheck all your connection. Was it throwing any codes ?? If a plug wire was off that can make your car run like total crap if it more than one a knocking sound can happen.

But normaly you would have seen somthing in your gagues a SES code for a missfire somthing of that nature. DID you see your temp didnt spike or your voltage didnt drop or act erratic?
yeah warped head is not going to be from the exhaust, but if you didnt torque the head or over torqued it you can warped it.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

now the original post has deleted the information as to wether he drove it or not.

I would check preload on the lifters.

Amazing what proper preload will do to the oil pressure.

Last edited by heavymetals; 03-20-2008 at 01:06 PM.