Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiseco Forged Pistons for $500?? Anyone used them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 09:52 AM
JAS
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wiseco Forged Pistons for $500?? Anyone used them?

Thanks for the excellent information! I went with the wiseco's because the other manufactures wanted an arm and a leg for good quality pistons and you guys weren't around yet. Nice to know there is someone here to support all of us.

My understanding is that the 4032 is a high silicon material and that 2618 has no silicon and heavier. Is this correct?

Chris, can you educate us on things such as Anti-detonation grooves, pressure groves, gas ports, etc?

BTW, the Wiseco wrist pin is .945 x 2.500 also but I don't have the wall thickness.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:40 AM
Teching In

C4VetteLS1, where did you find the Wiseco's for such a low price?
Old 02-13-2003, 06:13 PM
Launching!

JAS - You are correct about the silicon counts in the different alloy's. I will try to post later about the rst of the stuff you want to know about.

Thanks,
Chris Gelineau
Diamond Pistons
877-552-2112 toll free
Old 02-15-2003, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Good thread. I shall weigh my Ross flat tops tomorrow and post the pin weights as well. I can also post the turbo piston specs tomorrow for your information. Mike.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is the greatest thread ever!

MORE,MORE,MORE!!!!!!!!!

Any weights on JE pistons and wristpins?

Does TRW make a piston for the LS1? I had them in my old school 427 BBC.

Thanks for the info, Chris.

<small>[ February 15, 2003, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: WMSuperSport ]</small>
Old 02-16-2003, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

Also let us know the real deal about piston coating, I've heard all sorts of different things about this as well, side skirt, tops and the ring grooves, does it really help, esp. on the strength issue for a pretty high boost(15-20psi) twin turbo setup. Thanks for all the info and help Chris
Old 02-16-2003, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Chris-
My car is at APE right now and Kirk has a set of custom pistons coming from you guys for my blower setup, it is still the stock 346 block, will these be the 2618 alloy pistons? Let me know buddy, cant wait to get them in!
Regards
Andy
Old 02-17-2003, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey guys, as promised here are the Ross piston weights for comparison.

Flat tops weigh 463 grams and have a 141 gram taper wall pin.

The turbo pistons weigh 449 grams and have the same pin weight. The turbo items have shed some weight because the lower outside edge of the bosses have been milled back whereas it's still a round profile on the flat tops.

I know when I went hunting for pistons some manufacturers were insisting that I had .927" pins which was really annoying. Lunati's name springs to mind. I wanted LS1 pins for obvious reasons and Ross were very helpful.

Interesting stuff Chris, thanks for the info. Do you do an online catalogue?
Old 02-17-2003, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

You still there Chris?
Old 02-19-2003, 08:51 AM
Launching!

Ok guy's, sorry about the delay in getting back to you. We have been very busy here and thats a good thing.

Formulation - Here is the deal on the piston coatings. The ceramic top coat is a good thing if you a using a turbo or blower. I say this because the coating keeps the heat from the combustion from going threw the pistons. Thus keeping the heat in the combustion chamber where it belongs. Over time if your pistons were not coated and you were running a good amount of boost you could be sending a lot of heat threw your pistons. This will weaken your pistons over time and could lead to them failing. Most commonly with a hole in the center of the piston. Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that you can not run a boosted motor without coating the tops. What I am saying is that by coating the tops you are giving yourself a little insurance. Moral of this is......if you can afford the top coating go ahead and do it. It won't hurt you and it could be helping you. Now as for the side teflon coatings. I myself am on the fence on this one. I do not care for the side coating because all of the engines that I have tore down after they have run with teflon coating, the teflon had wore off the skirt. Now others that I have talked to swear by this coating and love it. Once again if you can afford it, it will not hurt you it could be helping you. It is supposed to be a agent that helps reduce the chance of scuffing and also gives you a better contact surface. These are just my thoughts.

Doc2121 - Glad to be suppling you with pistons. You are getting our #11503. Which is our turbo/blower pistons for the LS1's. They are also made out of 2618 alloy. Have fun and crank up the boost.

Mike @ boost performance.co.uk - I am currently have our website redone. As of right now we do have a online catalog but it does not have any of the LS1 pistons in it. That will be changed here in the next month. If you would like I can send you out a catalog. Call or email me if you have any questions.

Thanks guy's for all of the questions. if you have anymore please post them and I will try to answer them the best that I can. Also if you have any suggestions on how we can serve you better I would also like to hear those too.

Thanks,
Chris Gelineau
Diamond Pistons
877-552-2112 toll free
Old 02-19-2003, 10:35 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,140 Likes on 740 Posts

Chris can we get that top coating through you?

I'm ordering my 9:1 Diamond pistons tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Chris, Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to do the full coating as you said cheap insurance, top and sides- I've heard that even though the side coating looks like it is worn through it actually bonds with the pores in the aluminum and is still working???. As PSJ asked do you offer this service for a good price? And also do you know anything about hard anodizing the ring lands/grooves, I've read the factory Pontiac Grand Prix GTP blown cars have this porcess done to this area and across the crown...

Also I'm interested/wondering about gapless top rings, are they worth anything or are they questionable, have you guys tested any of these setups and what were the results.

Do you offer steel based rings instead of iron based and if so in what packages(1.2/1.5/3.0 or 1.5/1.5/3.0) these are what I would be interested in(BTW- bore 4.030,stroke is 3.920,rods 6.125, 1.155 CH,looking for 8.5:1,.040 HG thickness, 71cc CC size)- any input on that, I've heard the steel rings can handle more heat for longer periods of time(turbo app.) I really want to do my setup right the first time and don't want to cut any corners. Thanks for your help sorry for so many questions. My buddy Howard ordered a set for one of his projects, I'm excited to get some pics from him of these pistons, I think he's going to send you some pics on a related subject to see what you think about another style of forging. Thanks Dave

<small>[ February 19, 2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Formulation'98 ]</small>
Old 02-19-2003, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Dave - You can get the coatings done through us. We charge $26.50 for the ceramic top coating per piston and $14.00 for the teflon skirt coatings. On the hard anodizing they usually do that on the production stuff to strengthen the cast pistons. We also can supply you with steel top rings. Our LS1 ring set comes with a Plasma moly top ring included in it. Yes, they also can take more heat than a standard plasma moly ductile iron ring.

Keep the questions coming.

Thanks,
Chris Gelineau
Diamond Pistons
877-552-2112 toll free
Old 02-20-2003, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Re: what Chris was saying about the top ceramic coatings. I know some of the Turbo Esprit guys on another forum and they were finding that the piston crowns were mushrooming with age. They found that the ceramic coating stopped this crowning. They had cheapo pistons to start with but the barrier cured the problem. So I am for it and also for it because the thermal barrier may just save your engine from detonation spikes. As for the teflon skirts, I have seen these on Cosworth v6's and they last forever. Don't late Ls6's have it and so does the Northstar I think so maybe it's worthwhile even as a precaution.

Chris, a catalogue would help. I shall mail you off line.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:40 PM
Launching!

Mike - The newest LS1/LS6 engines have a skirt coating form the factory, so you are correct. They did this to help aid the tighter piston to wall clearance they are running. Which was brought about by the oil consumption problems they were having with LS6 engines.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Chris, in regards to the hard anodizing, I've heard it is being used in top fuel on the ring land/groove areas as well by some teams, anything worth considering??
Old 02-21-2003, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

What's the part numbers for these pistons?
Old 02-21-2003, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone have stock wristpin and Wiseco wristpin weights?

So far, Diamond has the lightest piston/wristpin weight.

Chris, are there any differences in piston rings between Sealed Power, Wiseco, Diamond, etc.?
Old 02-22-2003, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Chris its Bruce in Germany car is running great shooting for 10's this year. Do you build shortblocks?

Quick Reply: Wiseco Forged Pistons for $500?? Anyone used them?