Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

405.5 RWHP 385.1 RWTQ Should I be expecting more?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 405.5 RWHP 385.1 RWTQ Should I be expecting more?

Thanks John. Good point about your 9 inch.... besides your 422 wasn't running the way it should have most of the time over there anyway from what I understand. In any case though some of the H/C cars can come within 15-20 RWHP of some of the stroker/all-bore motors.... probably not a super stroker of 422+ cubes or more when tuned properly though.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,140 Likes on 740 Posts

Well... I can see a H/C M6 with all the trimmings hitting 440rwhp on the Speed Inc. dyno... I can see a 382ci stroker (3.900 bore x 4.000 stroke) hitting 440-475rwhp, and probably with 30-50 more ft lbs of tq over a 346ci. My 422ci made 100 ft lbs more tq than a regular 346ci A4.

Back to Mike's thread, I'd probably do 2-3 things and then go back and redyno. I think !cats and ported TB are no brainers.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Constrictor

You have very good #`s well above the norm for a A4 car with cats on it. I will be installing the new TR236/230 cam this week . I will let ya know what gains are made.
Good luck with the car and have some fun

Jeremy
Old 07-24-2003, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow! I didnt think Id get so many replies! I really appreciate everyones comments and it makes me feel better because I dont know any other heads/cam guys around here to even compare my car to, so its always just looking at numbers on here.

I am not against going with a bigger cam, but I am worried about P/V clearance. To answer a couple questions.

1. My car was dynoed at Speed Inc (as Pro Stock John said) and they are very reputable. They use LS1Edit. I have absolutely no complaints about my tune, I think they did an outstanding job!

2. The specs of my cam are in the sig, but my heads were done by a place called Cylinder Head Specialties. Here is a link to my flow chart:

http://www.metalreviewcentre.com/images/CHSHeads1.jpg

I am told that a SF-600 bench flows less than other types of benches. The guy that ported my heads consistently gets 420-430 RWHP M6 cars. I was his first A4 mild cam customer.

3. I think I definitely need to redo my exhaust and dump my cats. I am concerned about the whole visual inspection thing though. My car doesnt get tested again til October 2004, so maybe I might just jump the gun and get rid of them!

One more question, would upgrading rockers give me anything other than better reliability. I heard that the stock rockers have a tendency to flex at higher RPMs so they never even let the valves open to their fullest potential. I've read many threads about the Yella Terras but no one seems to say whether they see any gains or not.

Once again, thanks! If I can figure out a way to measure P/V clearance, I might end up going with a bigger cam!
Old 07-24-2003, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Constrictor,

How much are your heads milled? If you're at .030 or more yes you may have some issues with a bigger cam, but the intake centerline will have a lot to do with whether you will be in the clear on P/V issues... you can always flycut your pistons to get another cam to fit if you were willing.

I wouldn't worry too much about the visual inspection thing... I just wouldn't roll into the emissions place with a screaming loud exhaust. They just hook up the computer anyway and test to see if you have any codes and if you don't you pass. Just don't give them a reason to look under the car and I'm sure you'd be fine.

I haven't heard of many people dynoing much extra HP with the Yella Terra rockers, they're just stronger, quieter and more reliable for the most part from what I gather...
Old 07-25-2003, 06:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

One thing that stands out, and I only say this because you say the car doesn't feel fast enough, is that your converter is a mismatch for the rest of your setup. I know you're a lot like me and that you don't want to put a real high stall in the car and suffer when you're cruising around town. I'd say your converter was good for your early setup but its time to upgrade to something thats gonna help put the power thru the drivetrain correctly. With 405 HP at the rear wheels your car should feel like its flying. Mine does with my setup and its pretty tame by this boards standards. If you haven't already considered it, maybe look into the Yank SS series. I know they are pricey but I feel your converter may be robbing you of the performance you car is capable of. We all pretty much know the converter is the backbone in the A4 and with that said it may be time to try something other than the 3000 you presently have. You probably could pick up a few more ponies messing with the TB and tossing the cats but I bet the same setup with the right converter would net you better gains. Just my .02

BTW we gotta hook up so I can get a ride.

Edit: After having read Yanks website, they recommend a PT4000 for your setup. I'm by no means a converter expert but I still believe you benefit from the SS verter over your midwest 3000. Just something to think about.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

JF,

My heads are milled .020" and currently the cam I have now has a 110 ICL with a 112 LSA. I wouldnt be against moving up to a 112 ICL and 114 LSA or even 114 ICL/LSA if I was putting in a bigger cam. My exhaust is already pretty loud (Hooker LTs through Custom Y w/ Carsound cats, then out the Loudmouth. If I were to go with an ORY, it would only get louder. That is definitely something to think about though.

99Blue,

Nice to see ya out and about! You could be very well. I never really thought my car was fast before the heads/cam swap, and after the initial feeling of improvement after the heads/cam swap, I feel like the car is just average again. It could just be that I adapt to HP quickly and forget what it feels like.

Oh well, someone above said it right, the quest for more power never ends! I may definitely look into a new convertor, but I think I need to get my transmission built up, because Im losing faith in my 4L60Es ability to stand up to the power.

Give me a call and we can hook up some time so you can go for a ride! Call my cell, it is 708-704-7233.