Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads Cam And Intake Swap ......

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads Cam And Intake Swap ......

I Was Just Wondering If There Are Any Special Tools That Ill Need During The Swap Also Looking For Some Tips And Pointers Thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jryder916
I Was Just Wondering If There Are Any Special Tools That Ill Need During The Swap Also Looking For Some Tips And Pointers Thanks
Have a professional do it. If you need to ask this you're not skilled enough to do it.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Old 03-22-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no super special tools. You may want to get a tool someone sells here to reinstall the pulley - it's made of a piece of threaded rod so you don't have to use the stock pulley bolt to pull the crank pulley back on

Same thing goes for compressing the springs - Crane makes a nice tool that allows you to change two springs at the same time.

only other thing I can think of is a set of gear wrenches to get hard to reach spots.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

The cam is a super easy job - just a 360* twist to raise the lifters, then replace it with the new stick. You'll need a degreeing wheel. My Moroso DW cost me $40.00.

Intake, again, a very simple job.

If you don't know how to assemble heads, I'd probably let a professional do it.

The best thing I can recommend is getting a manual and reading it over a few times to gain some confidence. Make sure you're NOT reusing the same heads bolts, use the moly lube, and follow the torqueing procedure to a 'T'.

Other than assembling the heads and degreeing the cam, it's a pretty straightforward engine to work on.