Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scorpion/Curtisbuilt roller rockers....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,005 Likes on 715 Posts

Default Scorpion/Curtisbuilt roller rockers....

Has anyone tried either one of these brands of roller rockers? More importantly, has anyone who HAS tried either kind had success and/or would they buy them over again if given this option? I am going to buy some roller rockers soon, and if money were no object, I am sure that many of us would run the Jesel's. But since money IS an object for the majority of us, me included, I am having a hard time deciding on what brand/style I should go with. Thanks in advance, guys.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scorpions will be here tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HEMIETR
Scorpions will be here tomorrow.
Could I ask you how much they were and where you bought them?
Old 03-29-2008, 06:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have seen a few broken Scorpion's. Unfortunately when they break, the person who posted the problem typically never comes back with an explanation as to why so you don't know if it was the rocker or the installation. I have used the Cranes and the Yella Terra's. They are both very high quality setups. Cranes are fully adjustable and the YT's are a pedestal setup with two rockers sharing one shaft. The Curtisbuilt you mention I believe are a different pedestal setup based on the use of the Comp rockers. They may the shaft setup and use Comp rockers.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I have seen a few broken Scorpion's. Unfortunately when they break, the person who posted the problem typically never comes back with an explanation as to why so you don't know if it was the rocker or the installation. I have used the Cranes and the Yella Terra's. They are both very high quality setups. Cranes are fully adjustable and the YT's are a pedestal setup with two rockers sharing one shaft. The Curtisbuilt you mention I believe are a different pedestal setup based on the use of the Comp rockers. They may the shaft setup and use Comp rockers.
Thanks, Vettenuts. You are correct on the Curtisbuilt's, they use a tongue and groove-shaft set-up where the tongue and groove allows each rocker "pedestal" to be adjusted independently. I have not, unfortunately, read of many people using them, or if, indeed, they are still being produced. I was slightly in error when I stated they used the Comp Magnum rockers; they use the Comp "Pro" Magnum rockers, as the plain Magnums are the roller tip only, not rollerized fulcrum's. I agree about the install. I am sure anyone could have problems even with the Jesel set-up through improper set-up/ installation. How about it, guys? Anyone who can post up on actual experiences with some of these brands? How about the Harland Sharp's? I don't see them as being as popular on the forums as some of these other brands are, for whatever the reasons. I have had one thought in the back of my mind: As most of us know, the factory set-up has a kind of "girdle" that ties the rockers together where they bolt to the head. This girdle has the radiuses in it for the rockers to "nest" with a through bolt. However, it is made of cast aluminum, i.e.; not too beefy. My thought is: Why not make an aftermarket piece that would be made of, say, stainless steel? This would tie all these rockers together VERY stoutly. I am also curious why the aftermarket wouldn't make their shaft mount rockers with one continuous shaft that goes through ALL eight rockers, which would seem to be much stronger than tying only two rockers together. I have not really looked too closely at this aspect, and it may turn out that it is not possible to do. Just a thought. Thanks, guys.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

I think the Scorpions had a bad batch in the beginning of their production and indeed some of them did break but that was supposedly corrected. I have one customer I know of that had that problem too. The others we have used and seen on many different deals from other shops here on LS1tech seem to have been doing great though.

The Scorpions probably have some of the best bolt-on geometry of the rockers I've seen so far and checked.

I got a set of the curtis-built rockers for inspection amd mockup and was impressed with them as well and they were very robust but I never got to use them although they did seem like a very nice design that would work great. I can't remember if they were a direct bolt-on but I thought they were as well.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have thought about buying those ever since i saw the first post with them......
Old 03-29-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

stainless steel would be great for strength, but with the cam profiles we use in these motors with the large amount of extra valve train weight SS would add you would likely hit valve float pretty quick. ideally something stupid strong that weighs almost nothing is what we need (and has the correct geometry)
Old 03-29-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Crane has a nice shaft mount, but they require a lot of head modifications to run them. Arkay99 had issues with the Jesel, and later found out that Jesel doesn't recommend their rocker with a non-stock cam (the non-adjustables). I looked at the Harlands, but they don't look as strong as the YT's and a few guys had problems with them getting torn up. As for the stock rockers, LPE makes a steel bar that replaces the aluminum one, it is supposed to stiffen up the assembly. I could never get a good wipe pattern from the stock rockers though, so I passed on their re-installation a long time ago.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am running Comp Cams #1500 system in my Cad and have another set to install in Mr. Vette.

Had to shim the valve cover 1/2 inch to get them to clear, plus grind out every boss inside the valve cover.

They work bitchin though.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Crane has a nice shaft mount, but they require a lot of head modifications to run them. Arkay99 had issues with the Jesel, and later found out that Jesel doesn't recommend their rocker with a non-stock cam (the non-adjustables). I looked at the Harlands, but they don't look as strong as the YT's and a few guys had problems with them getting torn up. As for the stock rockers, LPE makes a steel bar that replaces the aluminum one, it is supposed to stiffen up the assembly. I could never get a good wipe pattern from the stock rockers though, so I passed on their re-installation a long time ago.
Thanks to all who have posted up. I was NOT aware that the Cranes required a lot of mods to install. Good to know. As far as the wipe pattern w/stock rockers, I didn't do original install, as it was done @W2W. I just re-faced my valve stems and since my rockers were mixed up (Not by me) and I hate to mix and match, like using a worn rocker contact point on a new valve stem, I thought it would be advisable to get a new set. And the stockers aren't that much less than the rollers are. Thanks, again.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by grinder11
Could I ask you how much they were and where you bought them?

Ed Curtis @ Flowtech Induction. I don't know how much. I haven't been billed for them yet.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HEMIETR
Ed Curtis @ Flowtech Induction. I don't know how much. I haven't been billed for them yet.
I am also in Michigan. Is Flotech? I got a price of $379.00 shipped from Scoggin Dickey. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1leadfoot
i have thought about buying those ever since i saw the first post with them......
Curtisbuilrs or Scorpions?
Old 04-06-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs down

For what it is worth, I DID find my info on Curtisbuilt. There phone# is: (847) 437-9345. Web site is: www.dezod.com- Be advised!!! I have called them at least 3 times, and each time I got an answering machine-NO people yet! However, the message they have on machine says I DID reach Curtisbuilt, and if I'd leave a name and number, my call would be returned. I am still waiting!!! And- it was LAST week I called!! Ya know what-I got no time for this B.S.-PERIOD!!! If they got that much business, they don't need MY money. I haven't tried their web site, and I WON'T- as I said, I don't have time for this, and shouldn't have to BEG someone to return my calls when I am trying to put money in THEIR pockets!!!!!
Old 04-06-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by grinder11
I was NOT aware that the Cranes required a lot of mods to install.
Just to be clear, these are the Crane shaft rockers that require head modifications. The Crane stud mounted rockers drop right into a center bolt valve cover LS1.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

I have the Harland Sharp shaft mount adjustable roller rockers and haven't had any trouble. Trick Flow recommends these rocker arms with there heads and Allan @ Futrals also recommended them to me. So the are now on the car!!

Quick Reply: Scorpion/Curtisbuilt roller rockers....