Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sleeper cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default sleeper cams

Hey ya'll i just got some cam questions.
i've got an 01 ss and i want a cam real bad. I've been readin the cam stickies and tryin to get a real thorough understanding of em and it's not workin. i need more pictures haha... or see one in real life.. but anyway here's my question:
this is all hypothetically speaking:
lets say i want to put a cam in my car and i have an aftermarket warranty. My car is bone stock except a cat back and a cutout. I called the company and they said that i cannot have more than a cat back on my car without voiding the warranty. no intake, no long tubes, nothing.
Now if i got a cam, like a real real sleeper cam, 114 lsa or somethin, how easy would it be for them to tell that i had it in there? i mean would they be able to plug my car in and see that i have tune? How easy would it be to switch the car back to a stock tune? basically would it be easy to catch if i had a sleeper cam in it, and the springs and what not to go with it.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No headers? Then forget about a cam. Headers BEFORE cam
Old 04-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

MTI Stealth II Cam is designed around stock manifolds. Sounds like stock but makes good power under the curve.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Regular

Talk to John at Texas speed and performance. Ask about the 244R cam. Had one in my old car and it was pretty quiet and made great power.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

Isn't there something in the legal thing that doesn't allow them to void your warranty over aftermarket parts?
Old 04-03-2008, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

nah the warranty basically says anything (even headers) will void your warranty, the explained it to me saying anything that adds power will put more stress on the drivetrain and motor and cause things to break sooner or more easily, so even headers is off limits. So basically if i want to mod i have to do something that's relatively easy to remove (intake, nitrous which i'm not doin) or very hard to notice (like a sleeper cam).
i was look at thunder racing and they had this cam called an old man cam which seemed like everything i was lookin for, but i want better gains than twenty or thirty hp, but i guess i can't have it all...
Old 04-03-2008, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

oh and is the water pump something that's real hard to change on an ls1? It looks simple but i really have no idea.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

not worth the money.... to catback, lid, sleeper cam if you can get away with that, and a 100 wet shot. that will be good...

get over your fear of nitrous

i don't think you can change the cam because if they pull the motor, the springs will look different that the stockers... who knows though they may not be that smart

oh yeah, how about some slicks and a better clutch? gears?
Old 04-03-2008, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

I have a TR CheatR cam...117lsa...and through hooker LT's and a random tech. catback it was pretty stealthy
Old 04-03-2008, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

lol no like my water pumps goin out and i have the new one and i need to change it before i go to nc, is it something serious to do? What kinda tools will i need i'm hopin just regular tools.
(i'm guessin u were thinkin i was gonna do an elec. water pump)
Old 04-03-2008, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

word redsrtak, someone else reccommended that to me. Does it really move ure redline to 6800? cuz that kinda worries me. what kinda gains did you see because i couldn't find anything on the site about it.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

ehhh warranties are overated.......
Old 04-03-2008, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

yeah i wanna just cash it in but with my luck somethiing huge and expensive will go out a month after i get rid of the warranty.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00cls1camaross
not worth the money.... to catback, lid, sleeper cam if you can get away with that, and a 100 wet shot. that will be good...

get over your fear of nitrous

i don't think you can change the cam because if they pull the motor, the springs will look different that the stockers... who knows though they may not be that smart

oh yeah, how about some slicks and a better clutch? gears?
i don't fear nitrous, but imo, i just don't really like it, it's not a track car and i don't consider it winning if nitrous is involved (unless the car is built to run on nitrous) but thats strictly my personal opinion and i'm well aware that many disagree.
as for slicks, it's a street car and doesn't see much track time so i'd get no use out of the slicks, plus i've heard horror stories about the rear end. and the clutch will of course void the warranty. damn it seems like my next mod should just be the warranty delete..haha.... but i really want to get around that....
Old 04-03-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

yep you want to get passed warranty best is nitrous and slicks. both are easy to install and take off with out anyone noticing.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MikeLSS1
word redsrtak, someone else reccommended that to me. Does it really move ure redline to 6800? cuz that kinda worries me. what kinda gains did you see because i couldn't find anything on the site about it.
I have my rev limiter set at 6800....but my shift light flashes at about 6400 and gives me time to shift.

Through a turbo 400 tranny, with that cam and stage 2 patriot heads and bolt ons it put down 399WHP....
Old 04-03-2008, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Well thanks for all the input everyone, if you have anything else i should know please just say so. i'll prolly be back with more newbie questions.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MikeLSS1
Hey ya'll i just got some cam questions.
i've got an 01 ss and i want a cam real bad. I've been readin the cam stickies and tryin to get a real thorough understanding of em and it's not workin. i need more pictures haha... or see one in real life.. but anyway here's my question:
this is all hypothetically speaking:
lets say i want to put a cam in my car and i have an aftermarket warranty. My car is bone stock except a cat back and a cutout. I called the company and they said that i cannot have more than a cat back on my car without voiding the warranty. no intake, no long tubes, nothing.
Now if i got a cam, like a real real sleeper cam, 114 lsa or somethin, how easy would it be for them to tell that i had it in there? i mean would they be able to plug my car in and see that i have tune? How easy would it be to switch the car back to a stock tune? basically would it be easy to catch if i had a sleeper cam in it, and the springs and what not to go with it.
Here's the thing, if you are worrying about any warranty issues, then stay with just bolt ons. Any cam, heads, pistons, etc. will be detected if there is any warranty work. For example, you throw a rod. Well, they will tear down the motor to inspect for additional damage and WILL find the aftermarket parts.

Now, if you're not worried about any warranty claims, build a nice motor. I have MTI's Stealth II cam. It behaves exactly like stock, but pulls hard above 3500 rpm. Idle is perfect - 800 rpm. Check out my signature below. Times weren't good, as I slipped hard off the line. Plus, I still have stock exhaust manifolds, too and the Flowmaster catback. There's another 30 horse waiting for headers, ported throttle body, and cut-out.

So, have fun either way.

Brian
Old 04-03-2008, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

yep so i've got a pretty basic idea of what i've got to do, pretty much decide between the warranty or mods. Thanks again ya'll for all the info. Maybe i'll look into nitrous. it'd still be fun. Thanks for the info
Old 04-04-2008, 06:15 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aftermakret warrentee sucks anyways, they fight you on everything.... I say toss a cam in.