Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES Light now engine misfire, help please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES Light now engine misfire, help please!

Ok so let me start off by saying i am car retarded but have been learning a lot about cars ever since i got my 01 z28.

I have read a lot around the forums so i have an idea of what is wrong but i want to run this by people to get feed back.

I cleaned my K&N filter
I put too much oil on
2 Days later SES came on
I read that too much oil= bad = MAF problems
SES light turned off so i thought yay everything is ok.
SES light turned back on
SES light flashes which i have read means engine misfires.

The light had been off and i was slowing down after getting off the freeway and i realized my car was idling really bumpy and the light came back on flashing. When i accelerated it almost sounded as if there was a hole in my exhaust and i quickly went home to park it.

I read around more and what i have heard is that the MAF not working can cause the engine to dump more fuel and lead to the misfire and im guessing the loud idle is because of the excess gas burning poorly.

I wanted to know if cleaning the MAF could help this or if there is a misfire im screwed and need a mechanic.

I also wanted to get more of an idea on how exactly to get to my MAF. I know from taking off my air filter i could see the metal screen which im assuming is the MAF screen. Do i need to remove (break) the screen to clean the MAF or can you get to the MAF in an alternate way.

Thank you.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cry0
Ok so let me start off by saying i am car retarded but have been learning a lot about cars ever since i got my 01 z28.

I have read a lot around the forums so i have an idea of what is wrong but i want to run this by people to get feed back.

I cleaned my K&N filter
I put too much oil on
2 Days later SES came on
I read that too much oil= bad = MAF problems
SES light turned off so i thought yay everything is ok.
SES light turned back on
SES light flashes which i have read means engine misfires.

The light had been off and i was slowing down after getting off the freeway and i realized my car was idling really bumpy and the light came back on flashing. When i accelerated it almost sounded as if there was a hole in my exhaust and i quickly went home to park it.

I read around more and what i have heard is that the MAF not working can cause the engine to dump more fuel and lead to the misfire and im guessing the loud idle is because of the excess gas burning poorly.

I wanted to know if cleaning the MAF could help this or if there is a misfire im screwed and need a mechanic.

I also wanted to get more of an idea on how exactly to get to my MAF. I know from taking off my air filter i could see the metal screen which im assuming is the MAF screen. Do i need to remove (break) the screen to clean the MAF or can you get to the MAF in an alternate way.

Thank you.
your MAF can be taken off easily! just unscrew the band clamp that holds on your intake bellows (the accordian looking thing) and make sure to unplug the wire harnesses... then what I would do, once you have your MAF out, is go to autozone, buy some MAF cleaner, spray it good... then put it back on and hopefully that'll fix the problem...

hope that helps!

P.S. NO, don't break the screen or anything like that... you just need to take the whole MAF out of your intake system...
Old 04-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks, thats what i figured i just didnt want to go unscrewing stuff for an hour and then realize i didnt know what i was doing. I appreciate the fast reply, hope this works and that the whole MAF isnt burned out or i didnt break anything else in my car.. which i probably did because iv had really bad luck with simple problems becoming a lot bigger than they need to be with this car.