Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's my problem?? Well, motor problem anyway :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What's my problem?? Well, motor problem anyway :)

Backround:

347ci forged roatating assembly.
Ported 843 heads (Used off a buddies car)
Trex
Cometic .045 gaskets
LS6 intake
Ring gap and piston was left a little loose as I planned on spraying a 300 hit on the motor.

Valve covers flipped (driver on pass / pass on driver) with a single breather out of the hole that is normally used to go back in to the intake.

Made a 100 shot bottle pass this weekend and ended up with water in my engine compartment. It looked like I lifted the radiator cap (16lb).

Since day one I have had slight steam emit from the breather. I have some condensation build up in both valve covers but no water in my oil during oil changes and no milk shake. I do have a little milkyness under the covers sitting in the heads. I now have a little oil build up on the radiator car and it has always consumed a little bit of water.

The block was decked when the machining was done and the fact thatt he heads came off another buddies car that had no issues, I'm leaning towards head gaskets not seating properly during instal.

Obviously the heads need to come off, but any suggestions prior to pulling them off? Any other things you suggest looking at before, during and after pulling the heads?

Like compression test to see if I can isolate the cyl.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:12 PM

Ok.. Here is the breather set up:

Here is the build up in the valve covers. Again, there was nothing during last oil change (1 week ago preping for the track), but there has always been some build up with the breather and steam no matter how hot the motor is.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like you lifted a head (or heads) and pressurized your cooling system. It will usually puke out the overflow cap and spray all over the engine bay.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with above, you pressurized your cooling system. I'm really shocked to see that considering you've got the cometics. Are you SURE you angle-torqued them to spec?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:16 PM

Don't need a angle on the wrench in my truck. Plenty o-room.. I didn't have this problem with the old heads/cam using stock 6.0 gaskets. I'm thinking I didn't get it sealed all the way from the get go with the new heads/gaskets.

Another buddy told me there have been some problems with Cometics and some use a little block sealer. To me that's a bandaid. Any comments for that solution?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LIL SS
Don't need a angle on the wrench in my truck. Plenty o-room..
I meant, if you're using GM hardware, did you use a Toque Angle Gauge? If not, that's probably your problem.

If you went with ARP bolts, then disregard my question.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 PM

Definately not my first heads cam package I have put together ARP bolts.. All holes were cleaned extreamly well. Used a rifle brush on a screw gun and used a long air nosle to blow the holes out. Also used lube on the bolts prior to torqueing.

I'm still thinking the gaskets didn't seat well from the get go.