Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stroker.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stroker.

ok i know this may not be ultra "advanced tech" but i figure you geniuses could give me some pretty good info.

i dont know much about strokers but my car is bone stock and im ready to start the modding and i thought id check in on this. i see alot of people ahving this done so just gimme any vital info id need (what exactly i need and what it does, mpg effects, hp gains, supporting mods, pros&cons, etc.)

plz no rude comments. im trying to learn, i know a pretty good amount abotu cars but not too well versed on the stroker.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:24 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

I moved your thread, because you're right, it isn't the kind of advanced topic that the Advanced Engineering Tech Forum is designed for. However, I see that you are new to the forum and are trying to learn and I applaud that. Take a look at these articles by Chris Werner for starters:

LS1 Engine Build - My First Stroker

Stroker Engine Build - My First Stroker, Part 2

My First Stroker Part 3 - LS1 Engine Build

Ls1 Engine Build - My First Stroker Part 4

Also, read and re-read these books:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Build-High...8049529&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/dp/193249460X/...08990_pe_ar_t1

These resources should answer a lot of questions.

All my best,

Steve

Last edited by Steve Bryant; 04-12-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Spelling Errors
Old 04-12-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Amen! I'm building one right now, and have read all the tech articles/books suggested. They were a BIG help. I've been twistin' wrenches since '74, and, to me at least, the LS1 has to be the simplest engine I've ever ripped into. If you're no stranger to tools and tearing down/rebuilding engines, you shouldn't have any problems at all. About the only MECHANICAL issues you need to be aware of, are the same ones that have been true since the GEN I small block; don't start anything until you know what you want out of your build; think through your component selections carefully, you can drop huge wads of cash on mis-matched components, and wind up with a car that'll get walked by a bone-stock Neon; during assembly, make sure EVERYTHING is clean, and then make sure again; take your time.

Ummmm, when it gets to the PCM/tuning part, I run into a brick wall. It's over my head, so I don't screw with it.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm not quite sure what your question is but a stroker is just an engine build with a crank that has a longer stroke...thus giving more cubes.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

You need to get all the supporting mods done first, you don't want to have a stroked, cammed, headed motor breathing through the stock exhaust and lid. Not saying that you couldn't but it would leave alot on the table. All of the supporting boltons will go right on a stroker so it's a good idea to start there. But anyway, to anwser your questions: You would need a stroker kit, crankshaft, rods, pistons. Your mpg would go down, your hp will go up. Looking at it from a performance standpoint there aren't any real cons, you will gain power under the curve compared to a 346 making similar peak HP. Supporting mods would be lid, intake manifold, ported heads, cam, headers, and cat back. I would do all the simple bolt ons now, and then do the heads and cam while you had the engine out for the stroker. If you want to keep it cheap then a 383 is your best option because you can use your current block, anything bigger than that on your stock block can cause problems. You should expect to spend a grip on a stroker motor, $5,000+. I suggest you think long and hard about what your power goals will be for this car, will 450HP be enough? That is only 150 over stock you know, I finished mine in Jan and I'm already kicking myself for not going low compression for a turbo motor. Just some random food for thought, hope it helps.