33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

which roller rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which roller rockers?

right now i have slp 1.85 rockers on my starquest setup and things just dont like the high lift.... .651 total with the stock pedistals dont work!!!! i am considering Yella terra 1.8's or harlen sharp 1.8's any info good or bad would be helpful..
Thanks in advance
Old 04-12-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

The stockers seem to be pretty popular.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
The stockers seem to be pretty popular.
cant run the stockers!!!!! sux but i have warhawk LS1X heads and stock dont fit!!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I had comp pro magnums on my last F body. I bought a pair of blank stud girdles and fabbed em up to work on an LS1.

was a nice set up, but of course I had to invest in valve covers that cleared them.

was an expensive endeavor when all was said and done.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

go to gm and order the 16 exaust 1.8 rockers for the ls7, i think thats what uses the 1.8's
Old 04-12-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

The prob with the stockers wa i need 1.8's to clear the push rod to head issues!!! and with the stock mounts and .651 lift they make contact on the pedistal!!!
Old 04-13-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostnTBSS
The prob with the stockers wa i need 1.8's to clear the push rod to head issues!!! and with the stock mounts and .651 lift they make contact on the pedistal!!!
I don't know how anyone w/ an aftermarket cam & more than a 1.7 rocker can have any luck @ all w/ non adjustable pedestal mounts. Issues I found were either pedestal interference &/or improper valve wipe pattern. Further, the aftermarket pedestal mounted roller rocker kits that will adjust properly usually have the adjusting nut over the push rod. This adds weight to the valve movement & all but eliminates the reduced resistance offered by the rollers.

Best way I found was to buy a stud mounted adjustable roller rocker kit & then add clearance in the head or rocker where needed. Valve cover clearance can be gained w/ valve cover spacers. May have to grind clearance (increased chamfer) on the under side of the rocker slot to clear the stud nut (depending on set up). May have to grind the back of the rocker or the inside of the head wall for rocker to head wall clearance. It all depends on heads, push rod length, valve wipe pattern, rocker ratio, cam lift.
Bottom line is that modifications to the valve train take time & patience. Everything must be tested by turning the engine by hand or w/ the starter. All clearances must be checked several times. There is no one way solution because there are so many different set ups. If one is not careful, the lifters, push rod, valves, valve guides, cam...etc., can be damaged. However, there is a chance that the kit may fit without an modification.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:01 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

What's wrong with the Crane "quick lift" rockers guys. These are a variable ratio rocker arm, that add more (valve) duration to your cam (making the cam act bigger then it actually is), along with more lift and ALOT better acceleration. These rockers come off the seat and a MUCH higher ratio/rate then other rockers out there, making for smoother/quicker throttle response and more trq. Hope this helps. Check them out or read more about them. The only bad thing is, there very costly.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Crane 1.8 roller rockers here. As JPH, stated they are a variable ratio that come off the seat around 1.91 ratio and move back to 1.8 ratio by .300 lift. One advantage you get with most aftermarket roller rockers is a more consistent ratio. The stockers come off the seat around 1.4 and progress to barely 1.7 by .550 lift.

If you want more info on the Crane's let me know and I'll post a link to some slides they presented at PRI when they were introduced. It explains the technology and method they use to achieve the variable ratio.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:07 PM
10 Second Club

Adjustable Shaft mount Harland Shraps!!!