Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid to cam without aftermarket heads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daryn c
make sure they have the large valves in them though, dont get just regular 5.3 heads
Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
check out the 5.3L heads...be a good mate for that cam
Originally Posted by joblo1978
I think instead of installing new springs, retainers, and pushrods for a cam-only setup, just go H/C in one fell swoop. You'll save time and money just going for it all at once. You figure whether you do it yourself, or pay someone else to do it, it's going to take time and money, for parts, tools, and labor. Buy right the first time, or buy again.

Like me, when I get out of this shithole called Iraq, I'm installing a H/C package, injectors, fuel pump, some other things all at once. This will save time and money and have me in the shop one time. I was thinking of doing it myself, but just don't want that much down time, and things can go south in a hurry.

A buddy of mine went with a mild cam only on his GTO with a few bolt-ons and only put down 366. I just don't think it's really worth it. I tried to tell him but he didn't listen. He seems happy with the setup, but I'm sure he'll get bored. I think alot of it has to do with his wife though. Hmph.

It takes patience to hold off on the car for more go fast parts, but in the end, the waiting will pay off when I show about 425 RWHP on the dyno.

Just get some assembled heads, new valvetrain and beef it all up at once, consider it done, and enjoy the new upper half.
think i've decided to go with some cheap used heads. ...now begins the searching and researching. what's the difference between ls2 and ls6 heads and all the different casting numbers i've come across? and i've heard in other posts also people talking about the 5.3 heads. can someone explain why these are better heads?? why would they have better heads on the 5.3 i don't understand. can i expect around 30hp alone from heads?

so fm14 + LTs + used heads + good tune. i'm excited. think this will be a good setup? what heads should i look for??? thanks!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Launching!

done a little looking and it looks like the ls6 heads are the way to go... but what about the 5.3 heads? haven't looked into that much yet.....
Old 04-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Launching!

bump ttt
Old 04-23-2008, 11:40 PM

Stupid? No i would say that i have cams and heads no spray
yet but i did race a cam only car with a 75 shot and it was a close race

Last edited by sleepinls1; 04-23-2008 at 11:41 PM. Reason: F ed up the head bangga