Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shitty Sounding Lsi

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, longtubes + true duals. If you know anything about installing anything you can get true duals not to hang any worse then a y-pipe system. Add a cam and you car will sound better then almost every mustang out there.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to agree with the OP. I have yet to hear a LS1 that I thought really sounded like an american V8 should sound. They sound more like a foreign V8. Don't get me wrong, I love them, just don't love the sound, but that's only my opinion.

And to the person that said "I'm offended".......
Old 04-16-2008, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Longtube + cam + Borla= teh sex.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
Moral of the story - If you want a fast car that sounds like **** buy an LS1 , if you want a slow car that sounds killer buy a Ford .
Moral of the story, grow some ***** and get TDs, or put the panties back on and hop back in a ford. Sorry you don't know how to set up an exhaust system, but I haven't talked to one person (before cam, or after) that thought my car was a v6. Don't come on here, with a measly magnaflow muffler, and claim that these cars sound like "****"!

Now, to fix your problem heres what you do.
You need a full catback, and LTs headers don't hurt either. If its still not mean enough for you, then !cats. If that isn't good enough, cam that bitch. If that isn't good enough, lower the idle to about 7500. If that isn't good enough, well then maybe your expectations are too high or you don't appreciate the sound of raw power!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

But the thing is I've heard some true-duals that didn't sound that much better ,so why bother with the expense & loss of ground clearance ? Moral of the story - If you want a fast car that sounds like **** buy an LS1 , if you want a slow car that sounds killer buy a Ford .
You havent heard a good dual setup then because a dual system with the right mufler/bullets will sound better than any y pipe out there and will still have decent clearance. My car with duals sounds better than any other LS1 I have heard IMO, and even other ls1 owners say my car sounds great.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 85Iroc
I have to agree with the OP. I have yet to hear a LS1 that I thought really sounded like an american V8 should sound. They sound more like a foreign V8. Don't get me wrong, I love them, just don't love the sound, but that's only my opinion.

And to the person that said "I'm offended".......
Every one is entilted to their opinion. Unfortunately, yours is WRONG! I don't think that you have seen/heard cars that are setup correctly. These are great sounding cars.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not even sure how to respond to this. If yuo are worried about spending $700 on more then 1 system I already see the problem. Remember you get what you pay for. It SOUNDS to me like you are driving over to the muffler shop looking for a budget system. I highly recommend you buy a full system rather then replacing parts in the stock exhaust. this is not cheap but will get what you are looking for. If you want a nice well mannered Comp cam go to MTI. I have their G1 which is nice and my car is far from shitty sounding. With a set of QTP long tubes and electronic cutouts it sounds more like a 67 Chevelle on steriods, but it did not come cheap.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

longtubes ory cutout magnaflow and a cam people will look over and drool well thats what they do to me lol
Old 04-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by landonew
Every one is entilted to their opinion. Unfortunately, yours is WRONG! I don't think that you have seen/heard cars that are setup correctly. These are great sounding cars.
Oh yeah , right ! I'll just run out & spend about two grand and then MAYBE it'll sound good . And then again it might not . Maybe you'd like to loan me the $2,000.00 so I could see if it sounds as good as you say .
If it does I'll send you a check. Trust me ! Yeah , right ! And I promise not to come in your mouth .
Old 04-16-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GMMG. Problem solved.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by landonew
...lower the idle to about 7500...
i like my idle around 8500 RPM, just outside the powerband....lol
Old 04-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Teching In

first things first i think you can get any sound you really want with a decent budget out of any v8, to the people sayin ls1's don't sound good, well, open your f*kin ears lol

and whats wrong with gettin offended? i kinda did on my initial read of this, ls1's do sound different, stock for stock maybe not as good and as much as i liked my old tpi305, but i wouldn't be so close minded to just blurt out negative crap about anyone elses car let allone mine!

remember your on a car enthusiast forum, you want contstructive advice? be positive and generally nice around here and you'l find what your looking for hopefully before spending that $700 on crap you haven't even kept

my advice is to chill out, go on www.ls1sounds.com listen around, personally i love every setup on there, dun get me wrong some are better for daily drivers than others. if u have under 400 bux's, loud mouth 1 if your not altering anything else, but true duals and pacesetter longtubes with an x pipe sound the best, but the loud mouth is semi close to that sound, close for a catback system.

p.s. pull your f'kin cats out, or gut them, that has an impact on the sound to... also stop caring what any old shmuck sais about your car, its all about you baby!! lol

sorry for the rant... but i hate it when i smell rice
Old 04-16-2008, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1-DAN
You just have to accept the fact that your LS1 will never sound as good as a v8 stang, or even a LT1 for that matter. I think it has something to do with the firing order and aluminum block construction of the LS1. Don't worry you will have plenty of time to think about the sound of your LS1.....at the finish line!!
Im pretty sure my LS1 sounds ALOT better than my 1989 5.0 mustang did, even with its longtubes, x pipe, and flowmasters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2CB8nGU8IM

And the best part about my exhaust, is it didnt cost me anything, other than the time it took to rip it off.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Oh yeah , right ! I'll just run out & spend about two grand and then MAYBE it'll sound good . And then again it might not . Maybe you'd like to loan me the $2,000.00 so I could see if it sounds as good as you say .
If it does I'll send you a check. Trust me ! Yeah , right ! And I promise not to come in your mouth .
Well it sounds like you might want to get into something different. $2000 is way over kill, this summer im going LPP longtubes with TSP true duals with sweet thunders. it sounds great at idle and gets mean as hell when you get on it. ill be around 900-1000 and you said you already spent 700 swapping mufflers over and over, good choice in how to spend your money there the only shitty sound im hearing is all this bitching, so why dont you sell your car to someone who will appreciate it and get back in your 5.0 mustang...
Old 04-16-2008, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Default Sound

Man I got to do something about the sound of my Z . We pulled up at a restaurant the other day a this guy was staring / admiring my ride as I pulled up and when I got out he said " Man , that sure don't sound like no Z/28 " . He said it sounded more like a six cylinder with a flowmaster .It's an 02 pewter Vert with a black top & black leather , all stock except for a Magnaflow muffler . But he's right . My ole 94 Stang Vert with a 5.0 sure sounded better . But the thing is I've heard some true-duals that didn't sound that much better ,so why bother with the expense & loss of ground clearance ? Moral of the story - If you want a fast car that sounds like **** buy an LS1 , if you want a slow car that sounds killer buy a Ford .
I bet my Trans Am sounds 100x better than that POS mustang (come on guys this is an LS1 forum, I had to say it) and I have 700 in mine with off-road x pipe dynomax bullets w/turndowns and hooker longtube headers and it's a 3" system with plenty of ground clearance
Old 04-16-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

here is a website for ya www.ls1sounds.com go through there and check out the setups. personally with a z28 id go duals dumped, camaros just look good with dumped exhaust.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Mine sounds way better than a v8 mustang! Why would you even say that. I had LT headers and Borlas with a cut out and a mild cam. Just get the right set up and u will be amazed.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

call slp get a lm1 resonator, thats what i had and it sounded awesome!!!! course no i have lt's with a catless h and lm1 out the back . . . . sounds even better!
Old 04-16-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i agree with the OP, ls1s sound like ****. LT1s RULE!!!!

this will prolly bring the **** (covers head)
Old 04-16-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by King Nothing
call slp get a lm1 resonator, thats what i had and it sounded awesome!!!! course no i have lt's with a catless h and lm1 out the back . . . . sounds even better!
so ur runnin true duals with SLP LM1 resonators? got any clips?