Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk Aluminum blocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't hurt to check with the machine shop for pricing on assembly. The machine shop I use only charges an extra $100 for assembling the short block.

I can't justify doing it myself anymore.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so this morning I called the machine shop & talked a little more in depth with them about what I wanted to get done. They told me this:

Jet wash block $40
Remove old cam bearings $12
Bore/hone cylinders $120
Align hone mains $150
Assembly $350
grind crank $125
balance internals $175

He also said that if I wanted him to handle everything from his shop he would only charge me "his" price from the racing shop that I would have balance my internals & grind my crank. So I'd save some money there goin that route b/c the price he quoted me was less than what the racing shop quoted me over the phone for the exact same services. All he requested was that I bring in ALL my parts for assembly & told me he would personally make sure we got the correct bearings on the crank after it being turned.

So I get a total of about $1000 for ALL machine work, balancing & assembly. I might just go this route. That way the machine shop & racing shop doin the crank & balancing can handle everything just between them & possibly cut down on any confusion that could occur taking parts from one place to another myself.

Sooooo, now that we got this figured out. What about the painting question?? Is there ANY negative side effects of painting the Aluminum block??
Old 04-23-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Good info guys. And yes, I had planned to button her back up with ARP main studs. So I'm guessing I need to buy those before taking the block in.
If you need to buy some main studs I have some brand new ARPs I didn't use on mine because I decided it would be overkill. Shoot me a PM if your interested.
Originally Posted by zman1969
The balancer is a moot point since it is not keyed and can go on in any position , if you want them to balance the flywheel - why not shouldnt add much to the entire balance job
my .02c
Balancing the flywheel is not a bad idea as long as they do just that balance only the flywheel. You don't want them to balance the flywheel to the internals because what happens when you decide to change clutches and need a new flywheel as well. Now your whole rotating assembly is off. Most good engine builds can and will balance only the flywheel but then again most good flywheels are already well balanced.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pist0lpete
If you need to buy some main studs I have some brand new ARPs I didn't use on mine because I decided it would be overkill. Shoot me a PM if your interested.
Cool.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Sooooo, now that we got this figured out. What about the painting question?? Is there ANY negative side effects of painting the Aluminum block??

So no one has any solid information on this particular question??
Old 04-30-2008, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

Mike what was the machine shop you are dealing with? Stanley Morton by chance in BA? he's good and well known just to let ya know
Old 04-30-2008, 08:13 AM
12 Second Club

Hey Ryan, it is Lucito's & Carbone Racing will be doin the crank turning & internal balancing.