Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blue oil pump o ring

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got done replacing my o-ring this morning. A bit of advice to all those who get the Hi volume gm oil pump. Do not use the black o-ring that comes with the pump. Mine come with a black one and a green and recommended the black one for the f-bods the green one for the trucks. Bad idea to use the black one. I just got to take it back apart to put a blue one in. Save yourself the trouble get the blue to begin with. It had low pressure and after pulling the old one out there's nothing wrong with it. Just wasn't sealing good. The main thing you want to do when installing the o-ring is to lube the **** out of it. Grease and or petroleum jelly is your friend. Note that it should not be hard to put the tube back in. If you have to hold it closed and it has resistance on it somethings wrong. Try again.
To the OP I'm glad you got it worked out. Not something you want to do twice.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "bigger" o-ring is the one you want. The trick is to bolt up the pickup tube with the pump loose. The reason for this is because the pickup tube does not fit perfectly with everything tightened up. So if you tighten the mounting bolts for the pump and then try to attach the pickup tube with the o-ring, it pinches the o-ring and damages it. If you use the right o-ring, all you have to do is tighten down the pickup tube bolt before the mounting bolt for the pump. This way, the pump can "float" and not put the pickup tube and o-ring in a bind when you tighten the attachment bolt. Once the pickup tube is tight, you can then tighten the pump mounting bolts and any misalignment between the pump and the tube will be compensated for by the tube flexing. If you do it in the reverse, all of the compensation must be done at the point of insertion of the pickup tube, which will damage the o-ring and can lead to major problems because it will not have a good seal.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mine went in just fine 3 days ago. no issues at all. u will be fine.

Quick Reply: blue oil pump o ring