Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new motor, 2 psi of oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new motor, 2 psi of oil pressure

I ran it for about 20 seconds and it isn't clattering or anything at this point. I also did shim the oil pump a bit so I'm wondering if I screwed something up. I'm pretty damn sure I didn't pinch the o ring for the pickup either. Is there anyplace I can put a mechanical gauge other than under the intake to check oil pressure? Are there any plates/plugs etc. in the motor that could have been left out that could be affecting the oil pressure? Also wondering if maybe using my c5's pickup w/ the ls2 pan is affecting anything. I I highly doubt that though. Mains were at .0015" - .0020" and rods at .0025" - .0030" clearance. I rev the motor to about 2K RPMS and it'll get up to 13 psi or so and back down to 2 psi at idle. Anyone have any idea what the symptoms are if the guy who originally put this motor together forgot this "Barbell" galley plug? Any input is appreciated. The car is a C5 vette if that matters any.

***UPDATE*** I put in another oil pump I had lying around and I have the same issue. The front galley plug is also installed. Anyone know if I would see ANY oil pressure if the rear plug wasn't installed? How snug should that oil pump/pickup o ring fit over the pickup tube?

Thanks
Dave

Last edited by TT_Vert; 04-27-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, i have verified that the rear oil restrictor (barbell) is not in place . Wonder if I have enough room to pull the motor forward to get the bellhousing/clutch off in my c5.

Dave
Old 04-27-2008, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Wink

In my experience the motor will have to be partially pulled. You need about 3 inches to get in there ok.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just remove the torque tube to get to it? Would be easier than taking the engine out i would think.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

well to do that, the trans, rear end and everything need to come out. As of now, I have the front engine cradle out (engine supported by some figures I had made) and the front accessories are on. All i have to do is yank the headers, the intake and all the front wiring and pull it back out. Unless you know of a way to get the Torque Tube out w/o yanking the trans etc out?? Or at least unbolting it all and sliding it back.

Thanks
Dave