Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will wrong valves seals do this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim_WS6
The set of heads Justin has is the set that TSP sent directly to me. Justin installed his older set he had bought from a friend on my car, then when the new set arrived from TSP, i gave the new ones to Justin, never went on a car or anything. This was the THIRD set they sent me because the first two sets were cracked. The first set i had installed with the 918 springs that came with them.
The first set was cracked and burned and smoked oil, this misled me to believe i had rings going out, so i bought a forged 347 from TSP, then i had the second set replaced. Then i got the third set on and went back to stock because the cracked heads had washed out the new rings on the new motor.
Then a couple weeks ago i had someone at my house who was buying the pistons from this setup, he pointed out that half of the pistons had major scarring on the skirts, and from only about 6k miles on them. He said it was an improperly built engine, the crank could've been off balance. But who knows, i'm done buying parts.
The blame is going all over place. This sounds like bullshit to me. The only answer I need is, WHO INSTALLED THE VALVE SPRING KIT ON THE HEADS?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PKC-Z71
That's exactly right....valve seals don't even contact the valve spring retainers or springs in any way, shape, or form. Justin, what the guy at TSP told you was complete and total BULLSHIT and if they have any sense of fair customer service whatsoever they should GLADLY ship you a replacement set of heads Next Day Air so you can get your car running and ready in time for our race this Saturday. Period. End of discussion.

Whether they do the right thing of course is completely and totally up to them.
I dissagree. I dont believe this was seal related but the seals do touch the springs. go to a parts store and look at a factory valve stem seal for a 2002 T/A. the spring seat is molded into the valve seal, its all one piece, not like an umbrella seal like the 99-01 models used. so technically your wrong when you say the valve seal never touches the spring.

if your seals on those heads have the spring seats molded into them, it could add to your coil bind issue causing what happened.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
The blame is going all over place. This sounds like bullshit to me. The only answer I need is, WHO INSTALLED THE VALVE SPRING KIT ON THE HEADS?
+ 1,000 on this!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

I can understand the carbon buildup on the head I sent you. Explain why the corners of the intake ports look different. This is what I was trying to tell you Jon after I pulled the intake off. The two heads look totally different. You guys have the one that looks like it was ported wrong in the pic.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mr. Tim glad to hear from you. I want to tell you as the owner of these heads that they were infact a brand new style ls6 heads built specifically with stock seal setup when they left here. Contrary to what was posted the heads are infact both identical & the double springs were NOT INSTALLED AT TSP.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 05-07-2008, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

I installed the springs not seals! The seals were on the heads from TSP. Like I said I have always installed them this way. Never had problems. I just dont see how a head can destroy itself over this. Then looking more into the cause, I find the port job on the heads look different. I sound like a broken record.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Take a look at the pics really closely Stangkilr. The two ports look exactly the same.

Please circle where the heads look different for us. When you installed the spring you should have installed the included seat & seal combo. It's that simple.

Why haven't you just called me to discuss this instead of hiding behind your keyboard. Every statement you've made I have clearly explained & yet you continue to ask the same question.

What does it take to make you understand what's occuring?

Originally Posted by Stangkilr
I can understand the carbon buildup on the head I sent you. Explain why the corners of the intake ports look different. This is what I was trying to tell you Jon after I pulled the intake off. The two heads look totally different. You guys have the one that looks like it was ported wrong in the pic.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:29 AM
FormerVendor

I tried to explain all this on the phone but apparently it wasn't clear enough. I offered to help you as much as possible on new castings but that was thrown back in our face. Even late yesterday afternoon when we knew this was NOT TSP's fault, we still offered to cover all the CNC work if you purchased the parts. Now you actually have nerve to post that no longer care to do business with us??? I can tell you this seems to be a frequently occurring issue here. Customer's try to hang sponsors on this board to get something for free and I am quite frankly sick of it. Your springs did not make it out yesterday. Since they did not, I will go ahead and refund that order to your credit card and ship YOUR broken head and components back to you today and you can go somewhere else. We are too busy to waste a whole morning defending ourselves against a YOUR lack of ability to install parts correctly.

Again, your order has been CANCELLED and you will recieve a copy of the invoice and a refund statement in the mail.

Jon Reynolds
Sales Manager
Texas Speed & Performance

All I can say is IM DONE buying stuff from you TSP. If I would have known to change the seals I would have. I just think its funny, the head that looks like crap in the pic of the two is the one that broke. You should replace the head for free because it was not the same as the other. I paid for the new dual springs just get the damn things sent to me so I can be done. I have another heads/cam combo that you guys just shipped out to install for a guy this weekend. Hopefully that the last person I have buy anything from you guys.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Your exactly right Jon, I dont see a head breaking like this over a valve spring issue. Im done doing business with you guys. I also called and talked with you before I posted anything negative. Talked with some people last night and lead me to believe this should not come out of my pocket.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

You guys need to send a notice to not install the dual springs on the factory LS6 valve seals then! The springs did not bind when I put them on the heads.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1itldo
Maybe you should try to blame them for your used MS4 camshaft being cut 360 degrees out..
Could be a problem if its measured in crank degrees like most cam measurements (except lsa). But I LOLed anyway.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

MS4 will be coming out too, I dont want to represent anything from them anymore.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We sent the proper parts for the install, the new seats & seals are included in the kit. Sorry I wasn't there to install them for you, but it really can't be blamed on me.

Please answer my post explaining how & where the cnc machine decided to change the program on your heads. Give us some pics because I don't see the difference... but what do I know I've only seen that head reproduced 300+ times...

You guys need to send a notice to not install the dual springs on the factory LS6 valve seals then! The springs did not bind when I put them on the heads.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Maybe you should learn how to install parts correctly. How could you miss something like this?

If i buy a new car, sell it to some other guy the warranty is viod, just like these heads.

If i was the owner of TSP i would say exactally what they told you. You changed the springs, there was a problem and the head broke. If TSP would have changed the springs, they would have done it correctly.

Looks like you made yourself look retarded by trying to bash a very well known sponsor for your F*CK UP.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:39 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

MS4 will be coming out too, I dont want to represent anything from them anymore.

Why do you still feel we somehow screwed you? The install was the issue & I assure you the heads are absolutely identical.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can't really blame it on TSP. I think they were going above and beyond by offering to send a new ported head for just the price of a core. I hate this for the original poster. Good luck with the new setup.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I just dont get how we're still discussing this. Look closely at this pic:

Notice how the spring is sitting on the stock seal. If you install the spring on the seal like this it will not bind up while just installing it. It will however bind up when your engine is running. You took .180" out of the total amount of lift the spring can run. By doing this you limited the spring to under .500" lift & then drove the car for 400 miles at .650" lift.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That is the stupidest thing I have read. Why in the hell would they send new ones if you could reuse the stock parts.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I absolutely never want to leave a customer SOL even if he didn't buy the parts from us.

The deal is guys shouldn't think of ls1tech as a place to bash until you get what you want.

When I installed my Spec clutch in my vette without the proper shim, I didnt bash Spec until they replaced the clutch & paid for the shim swap. I simply man'd up & stood behind what I caused.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Sounds to me like TSP tried to step up and help this guy out and he just doesn't see it.
Help me out, pay $800 plus shipping and send my old stuff back. One head is still great. No thanks. Im done though, I have work to do and sounds like TSP does too.

Quick Reply: Will wrong valves seals do this?