Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP! heads intake runner scratch affect anything?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The gasket sticks out pretty far when you first seat the intake. My thought is that if it was interfering with the o ring seal you could take it down a little with some sand paper and the tip of your finger and come up with a good seal. (not the best thing to do but this an intake seal.) You dont generally want to sand freely like that on sealing surfaces as you can create depressions or an uneven surface..... BUT this is the intake gasket and should be ok.

Permatex would help as well, but as stated from the others it looks like it will clear the o-ring. Great price for a 205, you could contact Tony Mamo and ask him what he thinks, I would probably not hesitate to buy them if it were me. You never see those heads for that price. How does the rest of it (the head) look?
Old 05-11-2008, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ill def ask tony mamo as well. i guess scince you wouldnt hesitate i wont either. im just not super farmilliar with the internals of an engine. im 18. and i was definatly waiting on confermation that they could be fixed. DEFINATLY a good sign. thank god.
here is the origional thred with all the pics. idk how to post them myself.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lsx-parts-sale/915612-afr-205cc-heads-sale.html
Old 05-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Banned

Welllllll talk to Mamo first. I dont have them in front of me and those pictures suck... bad
I would buy them under the agreement he takes them back if they're un repairable or he pays to have them fixed if Tony needs to work some magic on them.

ITS ALWAYS BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK!

How come no pictures of the chambers and valves? If he agrees to give your money back if there is something wrong beyond what you can see then ok I would do it.

He could have posted better pictures, the blurry stuff is useless and he should have known that and not being able to see the chambers and valves isnt cool.

He's been hammering them with nitrous and has a thread about a back fire. Who's to say the valves arent messed up? Not being able to see the heads better is slightly concerning. Valve springs? how old... what cam were they run on? Not a big cost to replace ... all in all your probably safe but dont quote me on that... this is an internet private sale. Its always at your own risk.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

oh SOB. now im sketching again. f it. that last bit of info you just gave me made me realize that i would rather just spend an extra couple hundred for a set of better used ones. or even another grand for some new ones. i didnt htinki too look at his past threads. THANK YOU SO MUCH. i would really hate to be jipped out of 1300 dollars. i guess even though they dont have the best rep it would be smarter to go with some patriot heads brand new for the same price.

i have a problem that i strive for PERFECTION so idk why i was considering them anyway... actually i do, the price lol, im also frugal as hell.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Banned

New 205's are about 1000 more. I dont sell them but there are quite a few vendors here who do including AFR themselves. Look at the big picture.. what could be wrong with them and what would it take to fix them. Say it has few less than desirable valves and needs new valve springs. What cam are you going with? PAC 1218's good to .600 lift are only $145 and 1518'2 good to .650 lift are $245. The valves are $19 each.

See if you can get some better pictures. $1300 is not that much money even if you have to re-do them you still save some money on the deal. The castings alone are 2053 from AFR.

Springs 145
valves 400
Thats $1845 what do new ones cost? Then you have to figure on shipping charges and stuff. Maybe have them inspected and hot tanked or something.

Or there might be nothing wrong with the valves at and for a set of springs you got a smoking deal.. need more pics..LOL