Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what cam?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what cam?

I have a 2002 z28(A4)and am wanting to get a cam. I have a lid, stainless lts, 3" ORY, flowmaster muffler, and a 3" E cutout. I also have a 160 thermostat that i havent put in yet. I am looking for a cam with a nice sounding lope to it. I dont have a stall yet, but i will be looking at that in the near future also. What would be a good cam for my setup? I havent tuned anything yet, so it seems like i lost some low end when i did the headers, ORY, and cutout. I was debating getting a TSP cam package, but im not sure which cam to get.Any suggestions?...
Old 05-15-2008, 01:02 AM
Teching In

that depends on what you are looking for in your cam. if i where you i would get all my supporting mods first. in you case that means a intake and tb. then do your research on a cam but supporting mods first always
Old 05-15-2008, 05:24 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would pick up a converter at the same time. Cam with stock converter may leave you slower in some areas. The dyno will probably suggest otherwise though.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vettewannabe
I have a 2002 z28(A4)and am wanting to get a cam. I have a lid, stainless lts, 3" ORY, flowmaster muffler, and a 3" E cutout. I also have a 160 thermostat that i havent put in yet. I am looking for a cam with a nice sounding lope to it. I dont have a stall yet, but i will be looking at that in the near future also. What would be a good cam for my setup? I havent tuned anything yet, so it seems like i lost some low end when i did the headers, ORY, and cutout. I was debating getting a TSP cam package, but im not sure which cam to get.Any suggestions?...
Dam! sounds like my car before my TC and cam. Forget about the thermostat you can just tune it so the fans come on earlier. I had the blowmaster when I put the cutout in I gained 30hp Make sure you get new valve springs,pushrods and LS2 Timing chain you already have the ls6 intake get a ported TB you want alot of air coming in as possible. If you need more info PM me.

Last edited by 02BEAST; 05-15-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if its just a daily driver i would go with a TR230, for that loud lope. That cam is a 111lsa so it will sound great, same as my torquer III, just a little smaller for daily driving. good torque band as well. as someone already siad make sure you get the good valve springs and at least a timing chain, an oil pump isnt a bad idea either.

as for the stall. Yank ss3600. any yank is a good converter, ask anyone on here, including me, but this ones pretty good for street too.

last thing is a tune, i think its a must have after a cam install, especially when a stall is involved. you car will drive better and be ALOT more street friendly.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done several 220/220 & 224/224 camshafts with stock verters. I'd hate to see you go anymore camshaft than that without thinking about a verter first. We typically see 35rwhp approx. from these size camshafts.

Here's the link with the single spring!
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=174&catid=49

Jason
Texas Speed
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 05-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Default thanks

thanks for all the suggestions. right now it will be either a cam kit or a converter. Would it be smarter just to get the converter first? Will i need to get a tune if i just change the stall right now? Is a 3600 stall too high for daily driver? thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vettewannabe
thanks for all the suggestions. right now it will be either a cam kit or a converter. Would it be smarter just to get the converter first? Will i need to get a tune if i just change the stall right now? Is a 3600 stall too high for daily driver? thanks
I don't mean to be rude but it is not even a valid question. STALL FIRST. The car will push and maybe surge at stoplights and be a dog down low to boot with the stock unit with a decent sized cam in it. I gained a little over .3 from a Yank SS 3600 alone after I kinda learned to launch it on street tires. On DR's some on here have reported .5 gains. Don't believe those on here though who say " my XXX converter drives like stock and I can't tell a difference CAUSE YOU WILL!!! But if you wanna go fast it's worth the slight comprimise in fuel mileage and drivability. Go into the AT section and search. Yank's website also does a good job of explaining the technical aspect of things so it is a good resource for converter info and jargon.