Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, heres a firestarter.... dyno numbers and manipulation...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Ok, heres a firestarter.... dyno numbers and manipulatio

You will never hear REAL racers bragging about dyno #'s. Its a devise used for tuning. The internet has made the dyno an extension of manhood for street guys. On a 400 rwhp car, you can manipulate at least 20-30 hp if you know what to do. I love it when I blast someone at the track and they say "dude, I dyno @ 420, you must really be making some power". Just a measly ole 331 I reply.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Ok, heres a firestarter.... dyno numbers and manipulation...

I find the dyno conversation always centers around "the" two camps. You have those that can and do race their machines and those who may race it, but may not be good drivers or have access to some of the famous "speed" tracks around the country. Anyway, to through my .02 at this, my WS6 was dyno'd on several different dynojets(in 3 different states) and a Mustang dyno. All the SAE corrected numbers for my car where within +- 1% for the dynojets, same mod levels. The Mustang dyno was very different and well over 15% lower than my average dynojet numbers. There may be some differences in the way each dyno is set up, but I believe +-1%(SAE numbers only, not actuals) is excellent for dynos in Tempe, Arizona versus Los Angeles versus Denver, Colorado. The Mustang dyno was the dyno Steve Cole used to tune my car on.

I know some shops have gotten pretty good at tuning on a dynojet, but I also believe that the Mustang dyno is the true choice for those looking to do tuning on a dyno. My car, in particular, was an excellent example. WOT on the dyno produced nice numbers, but I had a strange stumbling in gear on the freeway. Once Steve Cole put it on his Mustang dyno, he was quickly able to find it using the ability to load the drivetrain.

Anyway, just my .02. As far as bashing those who do tricks, I was present at each of the dynos on my car and made sure the car was setup the same each time(hood up, 4th gear pull, no ice or cooling other than a shop fan).

Todd
1998 TransAm WS6, 432rwhp/392rwtq through high flow cats, sold long ago(unfortunately)
Old 08-10-2003, 05:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

My dyno is faster than your dyno. Who cares?? Don't get hung up on dyno #s. Take it to the track.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Ok, heres a firestarter.... dyno numbers and manipulation...

Read my sig and now a 224/224 cam is a SMALL setup and I still put down 430 419
this is exactly my point, I dont mean to bash tea but its funny how jpr's heads seem to make alot of power along with gtp's, they have something in common they are not cnc. It just looks like to me you sacrifice performance going with a cnc'd head, mybe its just me. Im crazy. this is my opinion looking at the same posts you guys look at. ya you can say there alot of tea cars in the 11's but there is also alot of stock internal eng's in the 11's. I dont mean to make anyone mad Im just trying to help this guy find the power he wants
Old 08-10-2003, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

My dyno is faster than your dyno. Who cares?? Don't get hung up on dyno #s. Take it to the track.
I couldn't agree with this more.

Quick Reply: Ok, heres a firestarter.... dyno numbers and manipulation...