Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAckfiring issues...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IT'S ALIVE!!!! and runs better than ever. Not one backfire. Broke plug was the problem. I'll race from a dig I don't care. Give me the hit since you're on tires and we can get it done! I can't go into 4th after racing a few gears tho, think it's the slave or pressure plate or somethin...****** sucks so ya a dig to top of 3rd is good for me.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RoDan
I just want to clarify something here, you have the O2's mixed up. The FRONT O2's are used for closed loop operation, they report to the pcm about fueling and are what ultimately affect the fuel trims, so DO NOT remove them. The REARS can be removed, as all they do is monitor the cats.

edit: also, NGKs are not just for imports, they are a copper core plug and will fire hotter than the iridiums or platinum plugs. They will also provide more performance. You really can't beat a copper core plug for performance, however they do not last quite as long as the others. This is not a concern though really, because the ignitions in these cars are so hot that the NGKs will last a very long time if your fueling is spot on. I know of people pulling them after 50k mils and they still look great.
I'm talking about the rear 02s on the exhaust end not on the engine end. I guess it would be the front 02 sensors on the engine end since everyone that removes the "front" 02 sensors on the exhaust end have to actually extend the "rear" 02 sensors to connect back up to the exhaust flange. Also, just about ANY plug will work for ANY car but I'm just recommending Bosch over NGKs. Anyone who's anyone knows NGK plugs are meant more for import vehicles than for domestic. In regards to copper vs. iridiums, the iridum plugs have been dyno tested and proven to have and edge over copper plugs. Go to their website and read their first paragraph before you try and shoot down stuff I say.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/product...s/wiresets.asp

"Our Spark Plug Wire Sets are built to meet stringent OEM tolerances for a variety of IMPORT vehicles"
Old 05-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Launching!

^I went with Bosch Iridiums
Old 05-26-2008, 01:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by squale iii
OK. Side note, basic NGK's were what was in the car already....are those factory?
no, they have AC Delco plugs from the factory! Glad to hear ya got it figured out!
Old 09-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Launching!

old thread, but just wanted to let you know since then i sprayed for a couple months....and the bosch plugs were ******* garbage. Replaced with NGK TR55 or w/e they're called.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Bosch plugs are ftl..... had them in the wife's 2v and they lasted all of 3 months before I pulled them. Now has autolite platinums and running better than ever. DO NOT BUY BOSCH.