Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP SLP 402 rear main ??? problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 05:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up HELP SLP 402 rear main ??? problems

Ok here is what i can say so far..Motor is SLP 402 cast iron block with 3,800 miles on it. Frist time i had a problem was just after install had the rear main seal in upside down (lots of oil leaking). Then around 2,500 miles i was out of town (about 1,200 from home) was messing around on the street and had the slave go out and had it fixed at a dealership. He said the pilot bearing was mising and caused the problem and that the rear main seal was also bad from that so i had the dealership replace all 3 parts. Now about 1 k miles later i let my car sit after driving and it leaves huge puddles of oil on the ground. I am going to assume that its the rear main seal again because its makeing my clutch slip very badly. Now the question is would it have anything to do with a bad bottom end or am i just not getting the seal ligned up properly ( even from a dealership) or could it even be something to do with the transmission (had trans rebuilt and installed same time i put in the 402). I have a textrlia on the way and i cant afford to buy another one anytime soon ive been riding my pedal bike and nurseing the crap out of the car since its the only one i have right now. Any advice or info would be great since nothing is under warrenty anymore and i cant find my sales reciept for the work done by the dealership thanks for the help!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

well someone sugested if might be a loose cap or soemthing in the bottom end ??
Old 06-06-2008, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

If its leaking oil jack it up and check it out for yourself.. We aren't psychic! lol Sounds like the oil pan or front/rear cover could be leaking. It could also be the plug that goes in the end of the crank behind the pilot bearing.. Shouldn't be anything wrong with the engine itself, but there will be if you don't fix the leak..
Old 06-12-2008, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

I have also heard that the new rear main seal design sucks *** and people have been having problems with it...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=seal+main
Old 06-12-2008, 08:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be the eagle crank....some older ones leaked from the plug at the end of the crank in the pilot area. My last one did...new one doesnt. I sealed the old one with some jb-weld
Old 07-17-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes its all tore down now and it is the plug