Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cams??? what dose it mean

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cams??? what dose it mean

ya um I'm new to racing and building my motor but when I decide on a cam what do the #'s mean and whats good for power and the motor

I guess I want big lifts but not too big so that they're smacking the pistons but do I want the ex. opening more or the intake??

what dose the L/S degree do???

And what dose the duration mean???

I was thinking of a .562-.567 lift its not bug but better than stock, and a split dur. for nitrus, but how do I get the intake and ex. to open at the same times??
Old 08-12-2003, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: cams??? what dose it mean

To get the intake and exhaust to open at the same time get a custom ground cam with an LSA of 0... Go to some cam manufacturers webpages and read some FAQs or the archives of this site. Buy a book about performance engine building. The general principles are the same for all engines, so don't worry if it's not LS-specific. Most peeps on this forum aren't going to answer these questions. You have to learn on your own, only very specific and technical discussion really occurs around here. No one is going to write a novel to explain how to select a cam for you. There are persons who spend their lives in the business, that are still trying to get a few more horsepower, or more streetability out of a cam. Sorry if I seem harsh but at least I'm responding... A lot of these theads don't even get a response. If you try to educate yourself a little, and once you introduce yourself to the complexities of any engine, high performance or not, you will understand where I'm coming from with this post... and why you couldn't respond to it properly either!
Old 08-15-2003, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: cams??? what dose it mean

Thanks to jmX for the following link.
Scroll down until you see the cam selection.
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

I concur with EdmontonSS on reading up on basic engine building. The basics will remain the same over all engines. Once you have the basics covered you can get into more specific info about the LS1.

I have no clue why you'd want the intake and exhaust to open at the same time.