Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil Pressure, Not Oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hanzel69
The stock pump looked fine, I don't feel like putting it back in, I don't have the time right now. I've been driving it for 3 weeks about 200 miles and it's still going. I cut open the filter, and it looked clean... I don't know what to say. I'm just going to drive it till it blows, then it'll sit for a year or two till I put a stroker in it. Thanks for all the help, but I really think I'll just drive it into the ground and worry about it when the time comes. Either way I don't have the time or money to fix it right now so...
This is exactly what i said. Ive been driving it around for almost two years now in this condition. Just waiting for it to blow..... Then 402!!!!
Old 06-10-2008, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by veee8
You have to keep in mind that oil pressure was good, then all of a sudden it has taken a nosedive. There is going to be a reason for this. It is correct that even for an LS1 the min. spec is 8-10 psi per 1000 rpm. BUT the fact that it had great psi one day, then 10-20 the next has to be accounted for. Sure you could shim the pump, and it might get you some psi back. It might last 15000 like posted, but what if it doesn't what if it band aids it for 15 miles and it destroys everything? Like my earlier suggestion, first thing you should do is slice open the filter, preferably the one when the problem started, and the current one. It will tell you a lot. If it is full of copper looking stuff, there is no sense in taking it further. If it does not not look too bad, you MIGHT be able to limp it by. I believe you said that you put the melling pump on there? That is already going to have a bit more psi than a stock pump, and shimming might not do anything for you.
That's exactly what happened with mine. I lost pressure suddenly by about 20PSI across the board and saved the motor by shimming it and putting thicker oil.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This same thing happened to me last year. Next thing I knew I had a piston shoot through the oil pan.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so I know when the time comes, hopefully later then sooner, are then any good engine shops around Huntsville, Al?

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure, Not Oil Pump