Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 vs C5ZO6

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the GM T1 suspension on my coupe. so stiffness is not a problem.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:37 AM
TECH Regular

My vote it to make your TA faster, think about how fast you could make it for the cost of another car, insurance, and mods on another car...
Old 06-10-2008, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

The Zs are a little lighter, but if you work at it carefully you can easily bring the weight down below a stock Z. (Rims & tires, rotors and calipers, carbon fibor hood, lighter battery, fixed headlights, LTs, cat back) The coupe's have less drag at top end due to their design shape, and their top speed is higher given the same HP. If you go 02' and newer the blocks have the same windows cast into them as far as crankshaft venting through out the lower end. The Zs have an excellent PVC system that is much improved over the standard LS1.The LS1 PVC system puts too much oil/ oil vapor back into the intack track resulting in the computer retarding the spark advance and reducing the power out put. But if you are going Heads and Cam then just change the valley cover to a ZO6 cover and be done with it. Common mod around here. The M12 has closer gearing than the M6 and will give you an advantage at the drag strip. The M6 is better for open road racing though. Seems like 6 of one half a dozen of another?
I love my coupe, along with the targa top! Awesome at night! Just a heads up, there are s few Zs that have been modded to have targa tops. But that is another story.
PS If you go with a good set of aftermarket Heads and a cam with full bolt ons and some weight reduction you will end up with a car that has the same or better power to weight ratio as a stock C-6 ZO6. Enjoy the ride.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by krobinson123
My vote it to make your TA faster, think about how fast you could make it for the cost of another car, insurance, and mods on another car...
Trust me the thought has crossed my mind! I think I am gonna start a new thread based on the differences between the trans am and a C5 vette!
Old 06-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by twospeed
The Zs are a little lighter, but if you work at it carefully you can easily bring the weight down below a stock Z. (Rims & tires, rotors and calipers, carbon fibor hood, lighter battery, fixed headlights, LTs, cat back) The coupe's have less drag at top end due to their design shape, and their top speed is higher given the same HP. If you go 02' and newer the blocks have the same windows cast into them as far as crankshaft venting through out the lower end. The Zs have an excellent PVC system that is much improved over the standard LS1.The LS1 PVC system puts too much oil/ oil vapor back into the intack track resulting in the computer retarding the spark advance and reducing the power out put. But if you are going Heads and Cam then just change the valley cover to a ZO6 cover and be done with it. Common mod around here. The M12 has closer gearing than the M6 and will give you an advantage at the drag strip. The M6 is better for open road racing though. Seems like 6 of one half a dozen of another?
I love my coupe, along with the targa top! Awesome at night! Just a heads up, there are s few Zs that have been modded to have targa tops. But that is another story.
PS If you go with a good set of aftermarket Heads and a cam with full bolt ons and some weight reduction you will end up with a car that has the same or better power to weight ratio as a stock C-6 ZO6. Enjoy the ride.

Thanks for the great info!