Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen 3 Vs. new Dodge/Benz 350CI hemi

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Gen 3 Vs. new Dodge/Benz 350CI hemi

275hp through a truck drivetrain is not bad at all.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Anymore details on the Hemi that may or may not actually be a Hemi?

Seems like only the 5.7 gets the Hemi name but the small truck engines must share parts otherwise the cost would be very high.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Can anyone describe the shape of the combustion chamber on the Benz hemi? Are the valves at 90 degrees like the old hemis?
Old 08-21-2003, 09:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Can anyone describe the shape of the combustion chamber on the Benz hemi? Are the valves at 90 degrees like the old hemis?
Old 08-21-2003, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Well i believe in the new hemi the valves are not at 90 degrees. from what i have read dodge had a really hard time getting this engine to pass emissions due to the engine having a really low burn temp. As far as sharing parts with the other new dodge truck engine the 4.7l which came out a couple of years ago they really have nothing in common. the 4.7l is a SOHC aluminium block. and the hemi is a ohv design. just looking at the two engines the intake design is very different as well. My wife has the 4.7l in her dakota and frankly i'm dissapointed in its preformance so far it only makes 235hp and gets about 18mpg. it really needs bigger cams and ported heads and long tube headers. but if i had a choice i would much rather have a vortec 4.8,5.3 or 6.0. But a small truck with a V8 is still cool.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:28 AM
Teching In

here is a cut away of a hemi head http://www.dodgeboy.net/news/57hemi/...i_cutaway.jpgs
Old 08-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Its a real hemi. I dont know where anyone would have gotten another idea...

The valve angles are different from the older motors, but its still a hemi.

And I dont think the hemi shares anything with the 4.7L family.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the info, I know very little about the Dodge product line.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Teching In

I havent witnessed new hemi design heads from mopar but i can tell you there is low to no swirl from traditional hemi designs and chamber combustion is sluggish with lots of unburned areas by design. You havent seen it because its a step backwards in engineering kind of like adding 2 cylinders to a 318 to make aviper perf. engine. I will be willing to bet new"Hemi" design is more like a wedge than true hemi, at least if it is any good.
How do you explain the fact that the HEMI was outlawed by NASCAR, and still is, for the simple fact that it ruled NASCAR while it was used in the series. But I guess that cant happen when it is a step backwards in tech. Oh, and dont forget that every team in NHRA Poweraid series uses some form of the HEMI head on their motors.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:44 PM
wrencher

Now do the research & see who was the originator of the "HEMI" design.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I havent witnessed new hemi design heads from mopar but i can tell you there is low to no swirl from traditional hemi designs and chamber combustion is sluggish with lots of unburned areas by design. You havent seen it because its a step backwards in engineering kind of like adding 2 cylinders to a 318 to make aviper perf. engine. I will be willing to bet new"Hemi" design is more like a wedge than true hemi, at least if it is any good.
How do you explain the fact that the HEMI was outlawed by NASCAR, and still is, for the simple fact that it ruled NASCAR while it was used in the series. But I guess that cant happen when it is a step backwards in tech. Oh, and dont forget that every team in NHRA Poweraid series uses some form of the HEMI head on their motors.
Dude what are you talking about? Hemi design in the 60's ruled Nascar, than it was outlawed, thats true. It wouldnt do **** today though, legal or not. And for your info, only top fuel and funny car classes in Professional categories use aftermarket derivatives of Chrysler Hemi. Pro stocks are dominated by GM design wedges(Best Engineers today) That is the truest test of power making designs, not blown antiques with fuel that triples power output by chemistry alone! I still stand behind my first statements, why dont you go back to school and than attack my posts!
Old 08-26-2003, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Why do the top fuel cars continue to use the dodge/benz hemi design?

I thought the hemi head allowed the valves to be bigger....since they are at a 90 degree angle...

I read recent magizine articles about combustion chamber technology ...they said the hemi design is still the most effecient design....

...if you look at the head of a modern Jap 4 valve engine, I would describe it as a hemi head!
...that is, it is rounded (hemisherical) and the valves are at a 90 degree angle....

Old 08-26-2003, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hemis used for blown applications in top fuel, funny car, and alcohol classes. They use up to 40 psi of boost, and those heads work great for that application. Its true the Pro stock dodges are using what they are calling "hemi's"
my opinion is they are more like a efficient wedge or heart shape chamber than like anything "Hemi" from the past. Also they dont appear to be as powerful as The Johnsons or Greg Andersons Chevys, so if they are not a advantage than that backs what i have been saying here. As for Japanese 4 valve heads, they are tottaly different, yes they have centrally located spark plugs but that is where similaritys end.I am mostly unimpressed with DOHC motors, LS6 and even Vipers dont use them and they are more powerfull than most unblown DOHC or Hemi motors of late. My friend has driven New Dodge Hemi pickup, and he was very unimpressed, another friend raced one with his Chevy pickup with 4.8 and stayed right with one!Dodge is scratching and clawing for business, and using"Hemi" nameplate is a gimmick to try grab attention from people who have given up on Mopar and their clone FWD line of cars. If dodge had any ***** they would have competed in Fbod/mustang wars of the last 20 years, instead they just keep getting bailed out of bankruptcy by government,government, Mercedes etc. I will be retired by the time Chrysler buys a clue! LOL
Old 08-26-2003, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

As for Chrysler, I remeber when Lee Iacocca in an TV commericial said, "If you can find a better built car, buy it."

A few months later Chrysler bought the horrific AMC Motors Corp.

I've always said I guess Lee found a better built car.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:52 AM
Teching In

One of the reason that the HEMI trucks are sucking is bcuz of the ECU that is behind them. The ECU will only open the throttle blades to WOT under a load, like pulling a trailer. MOPAR is working on a upgrade ECU that is suppose to be able to be messed with and is an upgrade, performance wise, from stock. Remember the HEMI has only been out for a year or two. How many things where around for the LS1 or the Ford modular motors after that long? I saw just wait until they get the motors in the cars. I think there will be a big jump in an aftermarket for it.