Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to properly install valve seals + rocker studs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to properly install valve seals + rocker studs.

My engine burns oil after a cam swap, have elite engineering pcv catch can. I am going to be doing a spring job so I want to make absolutely sure i install the seals properly. I am pretty sure I did it right, followed the ls1howto.com guide. Also i hear that oil can leak through rocker bolts. Do you have to do anything besides clean them and put some loctite on the threads to prevent this?

Anything else to look at while the springs are off?
Old 06-12-2008, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey man I'll talk to you more on aim later, but I just got done having my valve seals replaced like I told you about and now there's absolutely no smoke. 4/8 seals on the passenger side were not even seated, they just came off by hand! Hopefully you find something like this when you start taking springs off.

The guy that put mine on just put a socket over the top and hammered them down until they were seated, which you could tell by the change in sound. He didn't do anything w/ the rocker bolts, still no smoke. Hope this is the case for ya.

Bump for the experts.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have stock/unported heads oil leaking thru the rocker bolts is not an issue. It's on ported heads that the porting can uncover and make the runner expose the rocker bolt hole that is tapped in the head. This can allow a passage for oil to be introduced into the incoming air charge. Easily fixed with thread sealant.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just make shore if you put after market spring on your head that you get the valve spring kit ,seals retainers and springs. The after market springs like double spring wont work with the factory seals. But if you use the single spring like a beehive you can use the stock setup. If you order them from a sponsor just ask them for the correct setup.