Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally fired the new motor up today! but...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moeZ28
I definitely agree...more oil pressure from thicker oil doesnt account for the lack of oil circulation, just that the pressure is higher due to the thicker oil being more difficult to circulate. Did you put the little plastic oil plunger in the back of the block under the rear cover, and did you put it in the right way??
Bingo. Thanks man. When I took it to the machine shop they told me that they would remove all plugs clean and magnuflux the block and reinsert all plugs. Turns out they didn't. I began looking through my old pictures of the rebuild as I was going through to figure the problem out and here is what I found.... I didn't even know it existed until you mentioned it. I had no idea. I looked it up and realized that I was missing it.

I circled the problem...

Old 06-23-2008, 01:15 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GOOD! At least you know where the problem lies and can fix it without so much guess work!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 06-23-2008, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All those problems cause of plastic. Let us know how it runs when it all get put back in. Reading all these threads it makes me that much more aware when i go and put the engine back in myself.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by white00ta
All those problems cause of plastic. Let us know how it runs when it all get put back in. Reading all these threads it makes me that much more aware when i go and put the engine back in myself.
That's why forums like this are so awesome. They help out so much. Just wish I was as aware as I am not prior to me putting the motor back in lol... This is the fourth time I'm taking this darn thing out...
Old 06-23-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bww3588
just an FYI, 10W30 and 5W30 are the same weight after about 5 minutes of idling.

How is that? isn't the first number the viscosity while hot? That would make the 5 weight thinner while hot.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
What are your clearances set up to? Check that o-ring yet? What clearance did you have pick-up to pan?

I don't like putting a thicker oil in to remedy this situation...it's like a band-aid on a bullet hole (similar to putting a higher amp fuse in when one's blowing).
I too agree, I was suggesting it as a step to finding the problem, that's why I said it should give you some information to work with.

Glad you figured out the plug issue, might be easier to pull the trans and rear cover than pull the engine again.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99345hp
How is that? isn't the first number the viscosity while hot? That would make the 5 weight thinner while hot.
No, the second is while hot. The first is initial (start-up) viscosity.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DaddySS
I too agree, I was suggesting it as a step to finding the problem, that's why I said it should give you some information to work with.

Glad you figured out the plug issue, might be easier to pull the trans and rear cover than pull the engine again.
I know, I fully agree with both of you. That's why I kept searching for the answer rather than just throwing diesel oil in it and calling it fixed...

And yes, you're right again, pulling the trans alone would be so much easier, however, I have solid Spohn motor mounts in it and you really can't pull the trans after those are installed with an auto. I found this out recently when I tried. You need the motor to tilt backwards like it will with polys or the stock rubber mounts. With the solids you cannot rock the motor backwards to get to any of the bellhousing bolts on top.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad you figured it out...seen that happen a few times on here and around this area. Let us know how it turns out the second time.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moeZ28
Glad you figured it out...seen that happen a few times on here and around this area. Let us know how it turns out the second time.
Will do, thanks everyone for the help!
Old 06-23-2008, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

what is circled? i dont get it

I would like to check mine while the engine is out though
Old 06-24-2008, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
what is circled? i dont get it

I would like to check mine while the engine is out though
The hole in the block. There is suppose to be a barbell looking plunger that fits into the hole. Compare it to this picture, you'll have to scroll to down. Send me, or post a picture, I'll tell you if you're alright or not.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=plunger+oil
Old 06-24-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Default Update!!

I pulled the motor today and installed the oil plunger. Oil pressure is now fantastic. 65 lbs @ idle! Big thanks to all those who helped!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
No, the second is while hot. The first is initial (start-up) viscosity.

Your right, my mistake.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Never trust machine shops to reinstall ****.. These kinds of things have happened to me twice, causing low oil pressure.. I always make sure to survey all plugs and take lots of pictures if im working on a unfamiliar engine to make sure some little plug doesnt go missing..