Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car has blown 4 valve cover (passenger side) gaskets in the past week

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Keep us posted on what you find out. Were you using the n2o when something happened? I know you said you didnt use it much, did you use it and then notice these things start developing? You dont say if your using a wet or dry? Sorry for your loss but there could be some good info gained from this thread, please keep us informed.
I'll be sure to keep you guys posted. Thank you all for your input.

The car has had spray on it since February. Car has roughly seen about 4-5 bottles. My kit; it's a Nitro Dave's plate Kit (78mm)/wet, 150 pill. I have 42lb injectors and a Walboro 255 lph.

I was thinking someone else could benefit from this as well like you mentioned.

Thanks for the kind words.

Last edited by AlexLs1; 06-26-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Resident

Damage Report: The # 4 piston has a whole in it.

So I need to replace that one bad piston, a new set of rings and I'am going to change my head gaskets since there already off.

I'am thinking the cause of this might be a bad injector just thinking about it off the top of my head.

What are you guys's thoughts to this happening?
Old 06-29-2008, 01:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

was the hole a melted hole or like some broke ? and was there any pitting to that piston ?

what do the rest of the pistons look like ?
Old 06-29-2008, 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A hole in a piston sounds like the wrong heat range spark plug(plug too hot) or you ran very lean. Need to go down one or two ranges toward the cold side or find the source of the fuel starvation problem. Are you running wet or dry? Blowby is pressure past the rings toward the crankcase(bottom end). What some people have described here sounds like reverse blowby(if there is such a thing) since his problem is the valve cover gasket("O" ring in a machined groove) being blown out(top end). The pressure to push that "O" ring out of that groove has to be considerable. Once you have a hole in a piston all bets are off.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by s/c'd cav
was the hole a melted hole or like some broke ? and was there any pitting to that piston ?

what do the rest of the pistons look like ?
The whole in the piston looks more like a burn whole. The rest of the pistons are fine.

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
A hole in a piston sounds like the wrong heat range spark plug(plug too hot) or you ran very lean. Need to go down one or two ranges toward the cold side or find the source of the fuel starvation problem. Are you running wet or dry? Blowby is pressure past the rings toward the crankcase(bottom end). What some people have described here sounds like reverse blowby(if there is such a thing) since his problem is the valve cover gasket("O" ring in a machined groove) being blown out(top end). The pressure to push that "O" ring out of that groove has to be considerable. Once you have a hole in a piston all bets are off.

Leaning towards a lean issue/related.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah sounds like you melted the piston. Unfortuneately, nitrous is not very forgiving with an improper tune-up in the car. Believe me, I know! Best bet would be to get the car on the dyno and check the fuel as well as the timing. A TR-6 plug should suffice for a 150 hit, no problem. Be sure to look over the rod and cylinder head prior to reassembling the engine.

You should have the new pistons and misc. parts tomorrow. Let me know if you have any other questions and concerns and we'll get you fixed up!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
Yeah sounds like you melted the piston. Unfortuneately, nitrous is not very forgiving with an improper tune-up in the car. Believe me, I know! Best bet would be to get the car on the dyno and check the fuel as well as the timing. A TR-6 plug should suffice for a 150 hit, no problem. Be sure to look over the rod and cylinder head prior to reassembling the engine.

You should have the new pistons and misc. parts tomorrow. Let me know if you have any other questions and concerns and we'll get you fixed up!
Thank you very much John.

Yes, I just got back High Output Engineering; the shop doing the work and we talked about all these things.

I know as far as timing I have 21-22 degrees. My Air to Fuel ratios are: NA 12.5 and on N20 its 11.5-11.7.

Thank you for all your input and Texas Speed. These guys never let me down not to mention the great prices they have along with great service.

Thank You John and everyone else at Texas Speed, John thanks for the fast parts and great service. You were a huge help to say the least.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Banned

Burned electrodes on the plugs is a sure sign of detonation usually caused by a lean condition...the hole burn't in the piston is the result. Usually #'s 7 & to a lessor extent #5 will be the first to incure damage in the LS based engines, so you could have an injector issue where your overall A/F ratio looked safe but one or two pistons were still lean. Where did you place the wideband O2 for the tune reading? While it is apart, I suggest getting the injectors flow-tested & matched. There are a few shops not far from you that can do it reasonable.

As TSP has stated, the TR6 plugs should be cool enough for the spray so you need to find what caused the lean-out (keep an eye on fuel pressure at the high RPM range as well) or you will repeat it.

Good Luck!

Tracy
Old 07-06-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
Burned electrodes on the plugs is a sure sign of detonation usually caused by a lean condition...the hole burn't in the piston is the result. Usually #'s 7 & to a lessor extent #5 will be the first to incure damage in the LS based engines, so you could have an injector issue where your overall A/F ratio looked safe but one or two pistons were still lean. Where did you place the wideband O2 for the tune reading? While it is apart, I suggest getting the injectors flow-tested & matched. There are a few shops not far from you that can do it reasonable.

As TSP has stated, the TR6 plugs should be cool enough for the spray so you need to find what caused the lean-out (keep an eye on fuel pressure at the high RPM range as well) or you will repeat it.

Good Luck!

Tracy
Thank you Tracy.

I appreciate your input.

I met you yesterday at your dyno day. I was with Adam, pewter bolt on SS with black wheels, his friend.

A pleasure to meet you and thank you for the shop tour. Very impressive.

Thanks again for the advice.

All is being addressed.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AlexLs1
Thank you Tracy.

I appreciate your input.

I met you yesterday at your dyno day. I was with Adam, pewter bolt on SS with black wheels, his friend.

A pleasure to meet you and thank you for the shop tour. Very impressive.

Thanks again for the advice.

All is being addressed.
Ahhhhhh, now I regonize the signature! Bob from Precision had the street tune perfect as evidenced by the dyno.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
Ahhhhhh, now I regonize the signature! Bob from Precision had the street tune perfect as evidenced by the dyno.

Yeah yeah, for Adam's car; had the street tune by Bob, the Pewter Bolt on M6 SS.

I have a full motor and nitrous dyno, street and track tune from Bob.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would have that head checked out!!! Thats alot of heat on them valves when burning pistons
Old 07-08-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

What it looks like some uncontrolable crank case ventilation, when I take the precautions to prevent such a thing, as well as a lean condition with that one bad injector (replacing 2 of them just to be safe); resulting in burning cigar size hole in 1 piston......caused this nightmare and extensive money dissappearence.

Despite if there's more to it or not, I have to look on the brightside in a situation like this. Who I orginally wanted to build my motor is now doing it (see sig). At the time Dave Graves, owner of High Output Engineering, was unoperational. Nothing against Texas-Speed, I'd recommend them for anything LSx related. Great guys, just preference. Texas-Speed did build me a great motor, it shouldn't of lasted as long as it did, despite my tune.

Last edited by AlexLs1; 07-08-2008 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Car has blown 4 valve cover (passenger side) gaskets in the past week