Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil pressure after cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil pressure after cam swap

I have a 2002 WS6 and I have recently installed a new cam. When I started it up for the first time after the cam swap there was no oil pressure. I was hoping that someone could give me some suggestions to help me fix this problem.

There is zero oil pressure, rough idle, and knocking.

I installed a new timing chain, push rods, and valve springs with the cam.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you put a new timing chain off it you must have pulled your oil pump off. When you pulled your oil pump off did you check the o ring on the pickup tube? It may have dropped into the pan, or got pinched inside the oil pump if you did not take it out of the pump and put it on the tube itself. If that oring is missing, or get's pinched. No oil pressure. No oil pressure equals knocking and a rough running engine.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by delsold
If you put a new timing chain off it you must have pulled your oil pump off. When you pulled your oil pump off did you check the o ring on the pickup tube? It may have dropped into the pan, or got pinched inside the oil pump if you did not take it out of the pump and put it on the tube itself. If that oring is missing, or get's pinched. No oil pressure. No oil pressure equals knocking and a rough running engine.
That pretty much sums it up!

You either pinched the O-ring, or dropped it in the oil pan without noticing.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:17 AM

I would either say the same as delsold, except for one more thing. Check to make sure that you didn't snap the oil pressure sending unit right in the back of the intake manifold. I snapped that and my car showed zero oil pressure. But by the sounds of what you are talking about I wouldn't be suprised if you didn't pinch or drop the o-ring in the pan. Make sure that you do not start or run the engine until you have checked the o-ring on the pump.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:37 AM
Banned

PM sent