Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam swap problem. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam swap problem. Please help

so i started my cam swap yesterday and ran into a problem. I was having trouble getting my stock crank pulley off. My brother decided to tap the outside of the pulley with a metal hammer. He endid up chipping the lip closest to the ratator in two places. The two chips are about 1/4 inch in lenght and are directly across from eachother. The chips do not interfear with the grooves for the belt. I was wondering if i could still use this pulley. I dont have the funds to buy a new one and I realy want to get it back together soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 06-30-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't re-use it. That is more that a pulley, it is the harmonic damper for the crankshaft. If you are short of funds, maybe you can find a low mileage used one. Don't use the crank bolt to push against when you remove it either, or you will have more problems. And finally, don't use a longer bolt for the re-installation.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:53 PM
9 Second Club

why would you not use a longer bolt for re- installation? I Pushed against my stock crank bolt to get the pulley off, and when it went back together I used the longer arp crank bolt. Infact, idk how i wouldhave done it without the longer crank bolt.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

I put mine in the oven on 300* for a few minutes it pecked rite on....

op dont reuse that....find a used one im sure somebody here has a cheap one
Old 06-30-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragkid1917
why would you not use a longer bolt for re- installation? I Pushed against my stock crank bolt to get the pulley off, and when it went back together I used the longer arp crank bolt. Infact, idk how i wouldhave done it without the longer crank bolt.
Do a search and find out how many guys have buggered their crank threads doing this. Probably the most popular thread "How do I fix my crank threads". You may have been lucky or you may find on next removal you have problems.

The ARP crank bolt is not longer either. You put it together with either the correct tool or you make a correct tool with threaded rod so that the entire threaded length in the crankshaft is engaged when you start pulling the pulley hub onto the crank. You remove by pushing on the end of the crank snout, not the threads.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would not re-use that pulley. When you do put one back on just put it the oven for 5-15 mins and it will slide right on.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

As everyone has said, don't re-use the balancer. But the other part about not using the crankbolt to pull it off stumbles me.

How the hell is it suppose to come off then?????
And what would be the point off buying the longer ARP bolt if not to re-install the balancer????