thank you sir
Old 07-01-2008, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered mine from Amazon.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not read it yet, but congradulations on the publication of it.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fratsit
You'll be able to build a complete engine with this book in hand. Grab a copy, you wont regret it.

R/

Frat
Dang you Frat!! That's going to cost me. Just ordered mine
Old 07-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Banned

/favorite
Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

well, I guess "review copy" was ignored...The gall!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went ahead a bought one on amazon, looking forward to it.
Might want to rethink strategy on looking for "public" reviews, at least give one book away here, you did mention "You'll also note that I mentioned ls1tech.com in the source guide and included it in the source guide of the book - which says a lot about how highly I regard the opinions of everyone on this site. Thank you in advance!"
Might get a little more traffic...and at least everyone here will know the book is out if they see free tech book thread, not sure how many have even looked at this thread.
Good luck, I'll post my findings, really looking forward to it!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by davered00ss
I'll have to pick up a copy, but I thought it was cheaper to buy a built forged shortblock than to buy the forged parts and rebuild yourself.
My 2 cents on this: there are some great short block deals out there, for sure. But durability at your horsepower goal needs to be kept in mind. In many cases, you can build an even stronger bottom end (i.e., with even higher quality forged components) for the same or less money than buying your average forged short block. All forgings are not created equal!

Plus, buying someone else's stuff means you miss out on the fun of putting it together yourself! Thanks for the response, hope you enjoy the book when you get it!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by falcon5619
Excellent "how to" book. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot.

I would love to see a book based on the installations most have done here. Engine in car cam swaps for f-body and y-body cars. Steps like how to remove the steering rack, valve springs swaps with heads-on engine, etc. Basically, an LS1howto.com in book format.
Agreed, and I would not be surprised if someone is working on something like that as we speak. The Will Handzel book covers a bit of that (e.g., during engine removal/reinstallation procedures). There's only so much one book can cover!

Thanks for the compliments!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fratsit
Its a great book. I ordered mine back in June and got it a few days ago.

Very well written. Each step is described in detail and has great pictures of each step.

The icons that identify a critical step, precision measurement, ect only show that you took the time necessary to do this project right.

I especially like Figure 2 in Appendix B. The layout of the book for me is spot on. Its easy on the eyes, and the color pictures are great.... (something I wish GMHTP would do with all pics.....) and the shear volume of pictures is fantastic.....oh...nice shot of you on page 84....good to see you place an emphasis on safety......

For me personally... I would have like to have seen more focus placed on the tuning aspect of this build, however, I realize this book was not intended to focus on that.

If your articles for GMHTP are the cake...this book is the icing.

Very well done.

R/

Jeff
Thank you Jeff, definitely appreciate the detailed review. Regarding the volume of photos in the book, rest assured, there were many more that did not make the cut (along with a not-insubstantial amount of text). Cramming it all into 152 pages wasn't easy, and I think the manuscript was something like 7-10 pages too long when I handed it in.

BTW, GMHTP has been full color for some time now... and yeah, when I signed on and heard the book wouldn't be plain old black and white, it was pretty exciting, as it's one of the first from any publisher on this type of subject matter to be printed in color.

That photo on page 84 is one of the few places I inserted some humor into the book. On that note, I must say it was a tough choice not to insert the same kind of wisecracks I'm used to putting into my magazine stuff, but I figured with how technical the book needed to be, it wouldn't have really have jived very well.

Thanks again!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pcmcobra
well, I guess "review copy" was ignored...The gall!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went ahead a bought one on amazon, looking forward to it.
Might want to rethink strategy on looking for "public" reviews, at least give one book away here, you did mention "You'll also note that I mentioned ls1tech.com in the source guide and included it in the source guide of the book - which says a lot about how highly I regard the opinions of everyone on this site. Thank you in advance!"
Might get a little more traffic...and at least everyone here will know the book is out if they see free tech book thread, not sure how many have even looked at this thread.
Good luck, I'll post my findings, really looking forward to it!
Actually, I didn't know exactly what you meant about the review copy thing, so had put off responding. Interesting idea, but I do have a few issues that would need to be resolved if I did such a thing:

1. I'd need some information on who would be the right person to do the review. Is there anyone on here who regularly does things like this?
2. "Product giveaways" might not fly very well with the moderators on this site. Although I am not sure on this one, I do know you need to be an advertiser to self-promote any kind of product on here. Hence my only mentioning the book being available from LS1Tech sponsors, and limiting my posts to requesting comments on the book, and not that anyone actually buy it!
3. I've already given away all of my copies to those who helped me with the book, so I'd need to pick some more up!

I do appreciate the suggestion...!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have always enjoyed your articles on gmhtp, and found them informative.
i have not had a chance to pick up your book yet, but im on it.
i would like to ask if you have any kind of a budget layout for LS based motors?
not everyone is need of a Callies, Hbeam rod engine.

i have built a few budget 6.0 based motors using hypereutectic pistons and replacement type rings, these pistons are less than 400$ including rings.
they are pressed to stock rods, are for use with stock crank, and rods.
these pistons are available in traditional over size, i.e. .030,.040,.060.
this build is based on a LQ4 engine, the pistons are replacements for 99-02
Vortec motors aka LQ4. OF course conventional machine work is needed for the iron 6.0 motors, the only slight detail is the the pistons have a 8-9cc spherical dish, i usually use 63-65cc chamber heads anyway for N/A builds.
usually i will also cut valve reliefs into the pistons for long duration, high lift cams. i would like to pass this bit of info. along, a setup that has worked for me in the past. for street type motors, 370ci, 375ci.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NemeSS
i have always enjoyed your articles on gmhtp, and found them informative.
i have not had a chance to pick up your book yet, but im on it.
i would like to ask if you have any kind of a budget layout for LS based motors?
not everyone is need of a Callies, Hbeam rod engine.

i have built a few budget 6.0 based motors using hypereutectic pistons and replacement type rings, these pistons are less than 400$ including rings.
they are pressed to stock rods, are for use with stock crank, and rods.
these pistons are available in traditional over size, i.e. .030,.040,.060.
this build is based on a LQ4 engine, the pistons are replacements for 99-02
Vortec motors aka LQ4. OF course conventional machine work is needed for the iron 6.0 motors, the only slight detail is the the pistons have a 8-9cc spherical dish, i usually use 63-65cc chamber heads anyway for N/A builds.
usually i will also cut valve reliefs into the pistons for long duration, high lift cams. i would like to pass this bit of info. along, a setup that has worked for me in the past. for street type motors, 370ci, 375ci.
Good point on the budget stuff... actually, one of the things I stress in the book is how good the factory GM LS crank and rods are. I think a lot of people are intimidated by the prospect of a rebuild because of the expense of aftermarket replacements for these, but the fact is, the majority of builds can get away with (and should!) use them. The story changes, of course, when one wants to go with more cubic inches and/or large amounts of boost.

And I completely agree with you on there being no need for forged pistons on the majority of N/A engines, either. As to mildly boosted or small-shot nitrous engines, I consider a stock crank paired with stock rods and a good set of aftermarket forged pistons to be an ideal setup.

Hopefully the more people realize these things, the the more likely they'll be to undertake their own rebuild rather than farming it out to someone.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Very nice Chris! I had no idea you could get away with stock rods and crank in solid built motor. As far as using stock rods, are you upgrading the rod bolts? I cant wait for my copy to get in! Im hoping to build a motor in the next year or two.
-Joey
Old 07-02-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

just ordered...
Old 07-02-2008, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
Very nice Chris! I had no idea you could get away with stock rods and crank in solid built motor. As far as using stock rods, are you upgrading the rod bolts? I cant wait for my copy to get in! Im hoping to build a motor in the next year or two.
-Joey
Good point on the rod bolts - they are an excellent idea to upgrade for any build, particularly on early Gen III engines (in the book, I mention the GMPP "LS6" rod bolts being a good choice, at the very least). Another consideration is that most Gen III rods are press-fit instead of bushed, and I get into that in the book as well. Yes, the stock crank / rods are very good pieces!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Chris, i gotta tell you im a new subsriber to GMHTP and i love the magazine, and im sure i'll love the book! Take care.
-Joey
Old 07-02-2008, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

I was looking at one my buddy purchased a month ago. he was excited showing it to me and raved about now he can rebuild one on is own. and wanted me to look at it for my opinion. I told him that is an awsome book!!! I need to get off my *** and order one now!!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WernerGMHTP
Actually, I didn't know exactly what you meant about the review copy thing, so had put off responding. Interesting idea, but I do have a few issues that would need to be resolved if I did such a thing:

1. I'd need some information on who would be the right person to do the review. Is there anyone on here who regularly does things like this?
2. "Product giveaways" might not fly very well with the moderators on this site. Although I am not sure on this one, I do know you need to be an advertiser to self-promote any kind of product on here. Hence my only mentioning the book being available from LS1Tech sponsors, and limiting my posts to requesting comments on the book, and not that anyone actually buy it!
3. I've already given away all of my copies to those who helped me with the book, so I'd need to pick some more up!

I do appreciate the suggestion...!
I hope you did not get a negative vibe from my comments...I did not intend that in any way!
Just offering a little insight for exposure.
You are probably right about the "product giveaway" idea, I'm not sure how this site operates as far as "promotion/advertising", good luck, amazon just sent me my tracking number, can't wait.
Good luck!
Old 07-02-2008, 07:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WernerGMHTP
Thank you Jeff, definitely appreciate the detailed review. Regarding the volume of photos in the book, rest assured, there were many more that did not make the cut (along with a not-insubstantial amount of text). Cramming it all into 152 pages wasn't easy, and I think the manuscript was something like 7-10 pages too long when I handed it in.

BTW, GMHTP has been full color for some time now... and yeah, when I signed on and heard the book wouldn't be plain old black and white, it was pretty exciting, as it's one of the first from any publisher on this type of subject matter to be printed in color.

That photo on page 84 is one of the few places I inserted some humor into the book. On that note, I must say it was a tough choice not to insert the same kind of wisecracks I'm used to putting into my magazine stuff, but I figured with how technical the book needed to be, it wouldn't have really have jived very well.

Thanks again!
I did not realize the mag (GMHTP) had gone all color....my apologies....I guess I need to subscribe again and stop buying from the news stand.... I missed a few issues... I have every issue except for the past 2 and a 2 from 2005 going back to 1998... I like to go back a read the old issues... I just re-read the story about Tod Popper and his 1989 Firebird with the Summit Engine...

For the book...

I feel the HIGH QUALITY color photos really set it apart from others. The humor is good too.

Your descriptions are very well laid out and easy to digest. Hopefully as the LS(x) platform contines to evolve you will get a chance for 2nd and 3rd printings with updated info.

Keep up the fantastic work....your efforts are definately appreciated (by the book and through GMHTP)... I am off the GMHTP website to resubscribe.....

R/

Jeff
Old 07-02-2008, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pcmcobra
I hope you did not get a negative vibe from my comments...I did not intend that in any way!
Just offering a little insight for exposure.
You are probably right about the "product giveaway" idea, I'm not sure how this site operates as far as "promotion/advertising", good luck, amazon just sent me my tracking number, can't wait.
Good luck!
No negative vibe at all. Let me know your comments after you read it!

Quick Reply: Looking for comments on my new book...