Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for comments on my new book...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fratsit
I did not realize the mag (GMHTP) had gone all color....my apologies....I guess I need to subscribe again and stop buying from the news stand.... I missed a few issues... I have every issue except for the past 2 and a 2 from 2005 going back to 1998... I like to go back a read the old issues... I just re-read the story about Tod Popper and his 1989 Firebird with the Summit Engine...

For the book...

I feel the HIGH QUALITY color photos really set it apart from others. The humor is good too.

Your descriptions are very well laid out and easy to digest. Hopefully as the LS(x) platform contines to evolve you will get a chance for 2nd and 3rd printings with updated info.

Keep up the fantastic work....your efforts are definately appreciated (by the book and through GMHTP)... I am off the GMHTP website to resubscribe.....

R/

Jeff
Yes, of course, Todd Popper... the November 1998 issue is where it all began for me ("Homemade Hauler")!

As to the photos, thanks... just imagine me setting up every shot on a tripod and timer. Thousands and thousands of times. Glad you think it paid off!

The basic, wide-ranging "rebuild" premise of the book dictates that it should have a long shelf life, and yes, any significant future changes to the LS family would be treated with a "2nd edition, revised and updated". That wouldn't be for at least a few years though.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

Got mine on Monday, up to page 80...good reading.
pg 79, top right, end of paragraph,
"information" was misspelled "infomration"
I am up too late reading this book, lol gotta go to bed.
Good so far!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pcmcobra
Good so far!
Nice catch - and so is "familiarize" in that same line. I have already submitted that to be corrected on the next printing. Thanks, glad you're enjoying it!
Old 08-10-2008, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for all the comments and interest in the book so far. Since it seems so many of you bought the book from amazon.com, I'd appreciate it if anyone who has 5 minutes could post a customer review on there, as there is only 1 so far.

Thanks again!
Old 08-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by pcmcobra
Good so far!
I caught the same thing last night while I was taking a dump!!!
Good bathroom reading btw.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WernerGMHTP
Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for all the comments and interest in the book so far. Since it seems so many of you bought the book from amazon.com, I'd appreciate it if anyone who has 5 minutes could post a customer review on there, as there is only 1 so far.

Thanks again!
Yeah Amazon keeps sending me emails. I will get a review done eventually.

Originally Posted by socmguy
I thought I was the only one that read it on the toilet! LOL
Old 08-11-2008, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by socmguy
Hey, that's where everyone's best thinking gets done, right??? Hope it helps you out in the garage too!
Old 12-15-2008, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to say that I'm happy to announce that my book has been listed in the 2009 GM Performance Parts catalog and can be had under GM Part Number 88958674.

Thanks to everyone for the comments!
Old 12-15-2008, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

Chris, do you have a Gen IV specific (this one seems more gen III oriented) book out yet? Or working on one? I'd be interested in having one of them too.

Been meaning to mention, I think a step should be added to the torquing of the heads. I torque almost daily at work and we never go up to another torque value until the current torque has stabilized or quit moving. You have us torquing the OEM head bolts one time through, then jumping directly to the angle meter gauge. IMO (and I did it myself), you should have the torque sequence gone through again as the centerline bolts will move quite a bit more before ever going to the angle meter gauge. Otherwise, I loved it.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by frito1
Chris, do you have a Gen IV specific (this one seems more gen III oriented) book out yet? Or working on one? I'd be interested in having one of them too.

Been meaning to mention, I think a step should be added to the torquing of the heads. I torque almost daily at work and we never go up to another torque value until the current torque has stabilized or quit moving. You have us torquing the OEM head bolts one time through, then jumping directly to the angle meter gauge. IMO (and I did it myself), you should have the torque sequence gone through again as the centerline bolts will move quite a bit more before ever going to the angle meter gauge. Otherwise, I loved it.
This book covers both Gen III and IV, it's just that most of the photos happen to be of Gen III LS engines. Gen IV-specific books (which apparently will cover various buildups and are not step-by-step like mine) are surely in the works... but they won't be by me, as I'm on temporary hiatus from the book writing business - this one about did me in!

I see your point on the head bolt tightening, but think about this:
(1) do the robots assembling these engines at the factory wait for the torque to stabilize / go through the sequence again before adding the angle? I doubt it, and I would imagine GM incorporated your concerns into the tightening methodology.
(2) your method probably ends up with the bolts slightly more stretched, and I'll bet still within design parameters... and remember, with-torque-to-yield bolts, you're yielding and therefore plastically deforming the bolt, and the force-to-stretch curve starts to flatten out in this area. I.e., more stretch usually will give more force to clamp with, but not as much as before the yield point was reached. And they will eventually snap when enough deformation occurs.

Thanks for the food for thought and compliments!
Old 12-15-2008, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

great book! i got mine in august.allmost worn out allready big help om my 370 project
thanks!
would like to see a how-to manual on tuning a ls specific modified fuel injected engines.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

excellent book! im using it right now on my engine build and its been great. lots of pics, detailed explanations, and good info. keep up the good work!

Quick Reply: Looking for comments on my new book...