Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the best heads for a stock cubed LS1????

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big D:

Very respectfully Big D, your question is what we call in in this world a highly 'loaded question'. Using the word "best", implies that the reader interpretation of 'best', is exactly what your definition of best means.

No disrespect to you, but you are pretty much guaranteeing highly argumentative and subjective opinions, that may not directly answer the true intent of of your question.

Obviously Trickflow has produced some very impressive results lately. Their setup though may require extra valvetrain components, which you may want to check out.

AFR's, PRC Terminators, Darts, all utilize smaller runners and higher static CR's. TSP 5.3's also offer higher CR out of box.

If I keep listing, I'll end up misssing one, and we will have another online 'head war'.

All sorts of defintions of 'best'. It would be like asking "which is the best U.S. state to live in". I'll say Colorado, and everybody who lives in the other 49 states will vehemently disagree.

I would politely ask that if you are as specific in what you mean by best, and let us know your goals, budget, total combinations, you might get exactly the answer you are looking for.

Hope you accept this response without offense.

Respectfully

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Patriots for 'bang for the buck'...

current numbers in sig with a Comp 224 .581 112lsa cam. pretty close to 450rwhp. no EWP, no U/D pulley, stock injectors, M6 w/stock gears/10-bolt...

dont jump on the 5.3L head bandwagon just for a slight bump in C/R when you can achieve the same and better results running heads (Ls6 Stage II w/a lower 'cc')...
Old 07-25-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ur might be wanting an pair of ETP with the 11 agle valve gives a chance to go with bigger cams without flycuting the piston. go for 215's and 59cc heads.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Its hard to beat the AFR 205's. I also think a darn good head (for a stocker) is still the TEA 5.3 stg 1.5 head.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:07 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think ..WeathermanShawn.. summed it up the best. People are going to get on here and get absolutely sideways to prove that the choice they made or suggest is absolutely the best one.

Here is something I don't think can be argued with. To get any sort of meaningful flow out of a stock casting you need to open it to around 230cc. The aftermarket castings are 205 to 215 cc. That is going to increase airflow by virtue of airspeed which means better cylinder filling and better drivability at low speed.

In the posters original question he asked about heads REGARDLESS of price. So, taking that into account you can leave every ported stock casting right there, and then look at aftermarket castings.

From there I will quote Tony Mamo
Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
What's my point....IMO any of the "big three" are capable of putting down a solid number (and they all obviously have). Once you toss out the differences in flow benchs and get rid of the advertising fluff there really isnt much difference between them all (when comparing similar sized runners). They are all very capable performers, enough so that other aspects of your purchase should start to be scrutinized to better decide (customer service, ease of installation, CARB # or do you care, more otpimized port volume for your particular application, etc. etc.) As far as the power goes, it will be the supporting mods and the attention to detail to the rest of the combination that will have a far larger impact on your dyno's bottom line...
Old 07-25-2008, 12:16 PM
MJD
12 Second Club

AFR 205's worked over by a pro is what I'd go with if I had the coin to do it.

Quick Reply: What are the best heads for a stock cubed LS1????