Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam too big to pass smog in CALIFORNIA?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
What the hell is a CARB referee? Sounds like some kind of a diet guru.
LOL! never thought about that! In CA if a cop suspects you have illegal mods, he sends you to the guru(ref). The ref then checks your car out with a fine tooth comb.

I think CARB=California air resources board.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 67camaro
I think CARB=California air resources board.
CARB, California Air Resources Board.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No more CARB referee...?

Are you sure...?
Old 09-11-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by test only
Emissions testing is bs. Smog mandates are bs. Peoples vehicles should be smogged and taxed for the smog the vehicle produces. Almost like a smog tax. If we want to modify our cars, we pay the tax, instead of paying "Jose" at the local shop to either put our cars back to stock, and/or, take care of it for us.
Yeah I can see it now we following England's example and having people paying congestion charges if you drive anything other than a hybrid. Since they have camera's everywhere (Yes mayor big brother) they will ticket you if you haven't called into the city and payed your congestion charge with a credit card over the phone. What a Joke!
Old 09-12-2008, 02:29 AM
TECH Regular

So here's another question...what if your car is registered in a different state and county that doesn't have emissions regulations...then you drive it to California for a weekend and get pulled over for excessive noise, speeding whatever. What happens then? Do they have the right to tow your vehicle or do you get a fix-it ticket? I know CHP officers aren't trained mechanics and can't legally justify whether or not a car can or cannot pass smog. Anyone have any input on this? I wonder how probable cause can be obtained if the officer isn't a licensed emissions inspector...

Last edited by Halloran; 09-12-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joecar
No more CARB referee...? Are you sure...?
For the time being. Law enforcement is still on the lookout for vehicles that violate emissions laws or CARB mandates. Law enforcement will still cite anybody that is caught in violation of emissions laws. Each court handles CARB referee tickets differently. I would just fight the ticket.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

If law enforcement is on the lookout for cars that don't pass emissions then how could they tell? I mean unless my car was blowing huge clouds of smoke out the tailpipe then I could see how that would be enough to establish PC (Probable Cause) on violating emissions standards. However, I don't see how probable cause could be established on emissions just because of the way a car may "sound". I would fight the ticket too. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What if the CHP cop looks under the car and sees headers... if there's no referee to send you to, what does the cop write you...?
Old 09-14-2008, 12:30 PM
FormerVendor

Hey Bud,

I am running a cam special right now.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/983272-brand-new-custom-cam-sale-355-shipped.html

If you are worried about Smog, you should come out the the Westbound meet tonight at Ricky and Ronnies and I got a tip for ya.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Halloran
So here's another question...what if your car is registered in a different state and county that doesn't have emissions regulations...then you drive it to California for a weekend and get pulled over for excessive noise, speeding whatever. What happens then? Do they have the right to tow your vehicle or do you get a fix-it ticket? I know CHP officers aren't trained mechanics and can't legally justify whether or not a car can or cannot pass smog. Anyone have any input on this? I wonder how probable cause can be obtained if the officer isn't a licensed emissions inspector...
They have a couple ways, checking for headers being the first. Some of them also have a tailpipe sniffer, which can tell if you have functioning cats or not.

I've have 2 sound violation(modified exhaust is illegal in CA according to them) tickets in the past, the 2nd was on my firebird, which has LT's and Gutted cats. The cop asked me if I had cats and I said yes, it just passed smog 2 months ago for my smog inspection. He still wrote me up a fix it ticket. I never actually finished it by the date, then I got a letter in the mail that said if I payed the fines before a certain date, it was only $510, if I payed it anytime 10 days after that it would be $810. Pretty cool deal huh?

A lot depends on the cops you get, be respectful, I've been pulled over for speeding (infront of a school of all places), and let go after a few minutes of "car chat".
Old 09-14-2008, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

screw smog!

i just installed my g5x4 and love it! Yeah it wont pass cali emmisions.....but money will!!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:24 AM
On The Tree

i say just get the big cam if you want it. i wanted a big cam and smog never crossed my mind. there are always ways around it. my car passed smog last month with the mods in my sig
Old 09-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Teching In

If your vehicle is all stock and you know that it can pass smog inspection. What would be really funny is if you seafoam your engine. Wait for the cop to pull you over for all the white smoke..
Old 09-15-2008, 11:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The largest cam we have gotten to legally pass smog in CA is a 224/228 on a 114 LSA. It can be tuned to be a bit more emissions friendly for the test but that cam is pushing it. Now there are always ways around emissions testing...

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will do whatever I can get you fixed up!

Thanks!
Jon
Old 09-15-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't pass with the MS4 but get it anyway. A little extra money will get the job done. I passed smog last month with full bolt ons, catless true duals and a cam in the 230s duration LOL
Old 09-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by highgear
Florida does not even have Smog Tests. I'm packing now!
Been there, done that. Can't learn to deal with those darn hurricanes. I still prefer California over Florida.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28poweredlt1
They have a couple ways, checking for headers being the first. Some of them also have a tailpipe sniffer, which can tell if you have functioning cats or not.

I've have 2 sound violation(modified exhaust is illegal in CA according to them) tickets in the past, the 2nd was on my firebird, which has LT's and Gutted cats. The cop asked me if I had cats and I said yes, it just passed smog 2 months ago for my smog inspection. He still wrote me up a fix it ticket. I never actually finished it by the date, then I got a letter in the mail that said if I payed the fines before a certain date, it was only $510, if I payed it anytime 10 days after that it would be $810. Pretty cool deal huh?

A lot depends on the cops you get, be respectful, I've been pulled over for speeding (infront of a school of all places), and let go after a few minutes of "car chat".
no no no.

You have 30 days to register a car when you move. If you are visiting, have a DL and reg from another state there's nothing they can do.

Ive been over this with a few cops, cause I was gonna register my car out of state but drive it here and just have a separate DL. If the cop continually sees you driving around he's gonna eventually impound you or ticket you. But if you're visiting, have your DL / rig / ins from another state and weren't doing anything blatently stupid, you wont have a problem.

Quick Reply: cam too big to pass smog in CALIFORNIA?????