Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PTV=Bent Push Rod. Is this piston okay? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by second_2_none
dont get me wrong, thats exactly why i came on here, and why i registered on ls1tech period. i understand your trying to help and put in your advice. but you dont see anybody else being an *** about it do you? way to be "that guy".
I'd rather be "that guy" than one more person commenting about the mark on the piston.
I guess reassurance that the mark isn't a problem is more important than preventing the same problem in the future?

Stock cam and over rev causes PTV contact. And whats the answer to this? Lets put in a cam with more lift, more duration, and rely on the new springs to keep it from happening again.
So you put this together with the new parts and didn't check PTV clearance?
I guess the general consensus of LS1tech posts says it's not necessary with that combination of parts?
All I'm saying is check the PTV clearance, thats it. It's not bad advice, it's free.
Take it or leave it but god damn don't ******* cry about someone trying to help.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 07-25-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

I lost a spring and the valve put a few of those eyebrows into the piston and I planned to just smooth it out and reuse it. I had the chromoly pushrods though and it didn't even put a nick in the pushrod. Instead the piston hit the valve shoving the pushrod down into the lifter shattering the lifter cup haha. But yeah check your valve. My valve was stuck in the head I had to use a hammer and chisel to get the damn thing out!
Old 07-25-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reagrding the quasi eyebrow, I would just hit with some 500grit to smooth any possible hot spots (doubt it even needs that) and get on with the rebuild. Ur fine....
Old 07-25-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
I'd rather be "that guy" than one more person commenting about the mark on the piston.
I guess reassurance that the mark isn't a problem is more important than preventing the same problem in the future?

Stock cam and over rev causes PTV contact. And whats the answer to this? Lets put in a cam with more lift, more duration, and rely on the new springs to keep it from happening again.
So you put this together with the new parts and didn't check PTV clearance?
I guess the general consensus of LS1tech posts says it's not necessary with that combination of parts?
All I'm saying is check the PTV clearance, thats it. It's not bad advice, it's free.
Take it or leave it but god damn don't ******* cry about someone trying to help.
obviously i had ptv contact because i over revved it w/ stock springs and floated the valve. so it would be smart to of me to put on prc springs so this doesnt happen again. as for the ptv clearance w/the cam and stock 241 heads, i have done many searches and talked to the guys at tsp. they have all said that it is fine. but like said before, it happen cause i floated the valve, not because any damn clearance issues. the valve was down when the piston came up, could happen even if you check the clearance and its good. it is good advise and thank you for putting your 2 cents in, but you have a serious lack of respect! i dont cry or get upset over stupid crap, and i sure the hell dont freak out when somebody is asking for advise. but im not going to play your little games or have some kind of pissing contest with you. for all the other ppl, thank you for your answers, comments, and advise!!! should be done tomarrow and will let you all know how it comes out.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Restricted User

Settle down? I'm trying to get through to you how important it is to assemble something properly.
OK now I didn't see anything about this being a stock engine at first. It reads what is going back in then says it was stock. I do see that it's being rebuild with an MS4 cam. Better check it, I bet you're not going to are you.
I'll calm down and let you guys waste more money, sound good? I thought you came here looking for help/advice.
I bet you scored low on the reading comprehension part of the SAT huh?

thanks for the advice, don't need to be an *** about it.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by socmguy
I bet you scored low on the reading comprehension part of the SAT huh?

thanks for the advice, don't need to be an *** about it.
Due to your dyslexia you said the problem, listed new parts, then listed old parts. Learn to write a sentence you toothless hick.

Guess who's engine is blown up and who's isn't. Yea yours.

Guess why mine isn't, because I don't over rev stock ****.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Banned

Piston looks fine, but flycut for the MS4.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black
Piston looks fine, but flycut for the MS4.

These two *** clowns have already bashed me for suggesting that, I'm just sitting back waiting for it to fail again. You know damn well they'll disappear from this board for a while when that happens.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Ms4 doenst require flycutting.....but i guess if u wanna have the extra insurance and the heads are already off u could do it.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Banned

I didn't read every post, but MS4 clearance is less than the minimum recommended, even with stock heads. You want to error on the safe side even more with hydraulic lifters, and DEFINATELY install with a degree wheel.. with machining tolerances, dot to dot is not the same for every engine. All these little things add up, and can close clearance down to almost nothing or worse. Flycutting is not a hard thing to do. If you do it, you can run a thinner gasket and mill the heads a bit as well. This will raise compression and get back some of the torque the big cam loses.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Banned

And I'd like to point out that I only recommend checking, and they can't even do that, they just throw it back together and bash me for trying to get it through their heads about how important it is to build it right.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

I didn't read every post, but MS4 clearance is less than the minimum recommended, even with stock heads. You want to error on the safe side even more with hydraulic lifters, and DEFINATELY install with a degree wheel.. with machining tolerances, dot to dot is not the same for every engine. All these little things add up, and can close clearance down to almost nothing or worse. Flycutting is not a hard thing to do. If you do it, you can run a thinner gasket and mill the heads a bit as well. This will raise compression and get back some of the torque the big cam loses.
Call me crazy but wouldnt milling and running a thinner gasket then just bring u back to ur original problem?.....U just flycut cause ur stock heads had clearance issues, yet now u wanna mill the heads and runner a thinner gasket?
Old 07-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GT Griller
Ms4 doenst require flycutting.....but i guess if u wanna have the extra insurance and the heads are already off u could do it.

Well, it fits, but by how much? If TSP said it didn't fit safely, they wouldn't sell as many as they do. But the fact is, the clearance is below the industry accepted standard. (iirc it clears by ~ .060 when recommended minimum clearance on the intake side is .080)

I'm not saying don't do it, I am saying flycutting would be recommended and allow you to run a higher compression to make the cam shine. Just make sure to be very very meticulous when dealing with clearances as tight as the MS4 is giving you, or any big cam for that matter.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Banned

Call me crazy but wouldnt milling and running a thinner gasket then just bring u back to ur original problem?.....U just flycut cause ur stock heads had clearance issues, yet now u wanna mill the heads and runner a thinner gasket?
Fly cutting removes material, removing material lowers compression, milling heads raises compression. You only gain reliability by doing all that, and more compression as well depending on how much is milled and gasket thickness.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Banned

You'd be suprised how much clearance is gained with flycutting. Obviously you cut deep enough to offset the increased compression. I'll have to look and find out what the max recommended cut is on a stock piston, but it's enough to run a smaller chamber and .040 gasket and stay on pump gas.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Banned

Fly cutting removes material, removing material lowers compression, milling heads raises compression. You only gain reliability by doing all that, and if you wanted more compression as well depending on how much is milled and gasket thickness.
You also gain compression. You don't end up at square 1. You are only flycutting where the valves would press into the piston, but milling down the entire combustion chamber. The overall chamber size is smaller, but where the valves would hit is relieved.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:11 PM
12 Second Club

Im not saying that flycutting doesn allow for more cleareance but u are off setting the clearance u just gained by milling down ur heads and running a thinner gasket....im not saying it cant be done but it puts u back at ur origianl problem....PTV clearance.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Banned

You also gain compression. You don't end up at square 1. You are only flycutting where the valves would press into the piston, but milling down the entire combustion chamber. The overall chamber size is smaller, but where the valves would hit is relieved.
Yea thats basically what I just posted isn't it?
Old 07-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Banned

**** I give up, some people just need to actually do it on an engine rather than predict what might happen based loosly on thoughts and theories and whatever else.

People will understand when they get into shooting for exactly 11.3:1 static compression, then flycut, measure valve relief volume/dome displacement, measure the combustion chambers, mill accordingly. Until you've done all that you'll never know reading a forum on the internet.

How many people do you see on here selecting a cam based ONLY on not having to flycut, thats not how you build an engine that runs up to it's full potential.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Banned

Yea thats basically what I just posted isn't it?
lol yes, I had to go back and reread it

I'm reading, posting, watching TV, and snacking..

Quick Reply: PTV=Bent Push Rod. Is this piston okay? (pics)