Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the best Cam for Stock Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stovebolter
Probably ditch the composite intake for something shiney (Polished Weind, Fast intake (polish myself)?). New to the whole tuning thing...in fact...fairly new to fuel injection. Plan on taking one of the on-line software/tuner coarses I've seen listed somewhere in one of these threads. So, I will learn to tune this motor. Have to.

With all of this said....I like the T-Rex but I'm concerned about the 4000 stall for street use. I would assume it would be constantly stalled anything below 4000 grand. There goes the gas mileage. LOL's. Just kidding not really all that worried about that. Just worried about overworking the transmission.

Dave
since you're obviously not putting this engine in an fbody, why not use a vic jr single plane intake? 4150 carb style tb on top and now you have better looks and more power than those weak crossover style intakes. have you had a 4k stall car? i did. it was very easy to drive. had 373 gears, car weighed 3600, it was a blast to drive (as much of a blast as an automagic can be). my car got 24mpg and consistently went 12.2 in the 1/4 on basically stock susp., stock longblock and still had a/c, cd player, etc etc. i would recommend at least a 4400 stall for the t-rex cam if you're concerned about performance at all. the 4k will make it driveable and that's about it. given that i don't know what car, gears, or weight we're talking, i am just giving my opinion based on the cam's behavior. also, this cam likes a 7k+ rpm shiftpoint, be prepared to spin it up to get the most out of it. with regard to tuning - 99% of an internally modified ls1 engine's performance is in the tuning. at this point - a t-rex cam is going to make a little bitch out of your tuning skills. i would recommend having a professional tune it. driveability and overall feel for the car will rely HEAVILY on the tune. and you'll save yourself a few hundred bucks as something like hptuners is not cheap.

if you're just wanting some overlap to make the damn thing lope, order a custom ground cam on a 106 lsa. if you want a cam that is going to get you down the track in a hurry and you're willing to do what it takes on supporting hardware, order the t-rex. bear in mind the t-rex is heavily dependent on setup. this cam is more sensitive to stall, gears, exhaust, etc.

but i'm just a n00b, what do i know?
Old 08-01-2008, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
since you're obviously not putting this engine in an fbody, why not use a vic jr single plane intake? 4150 carb style tb on top and now you have better looks and more power than those weak crossover style intakes. have you had a 4k stall car? i did. it was very easy to drive. had 373 gears, car weighed 3600, it was a blast to drive (as much of a blast as an automagic can be). my car got 24mpg and consistently went 12.2 in the 1/4 on basically stock susp., stock longblock and still had a/c, cd player, etc etc. i would recommend at least a 4400 stall for the t-rex cam if you're concerned about performance at all. the 4k will make it driveable and that's about it. given that i don't know what car, gears, or weight we're talking, i am just giving my opinion based on the cam's behavior. also, this cam likes a 7k+ rpm shiftpoint, be prepared to spin it up to get the most out of it. with regard to tuning - 99% of an internally modified ls1 engine's performance is in the tuning. at this point - a t-rex cam is going to make a little bitch out of your tuning skills. i would recommend having a professional tune it. driveability and overall feel for the car will rely HEAVILY on the tune. and you'll save yourself a few hundred bucks as something like hptuners is not cheap.

if you're just wanting some overlap to make the damn thing lope, order a custom ground cam on a 106 lsa. if you want a cam that is going to get you down the track in a hurry and you're willing to do what it takes on supporting hardware, order the t-rex. bear in mind the t-rex is heavily dependent on setup. this cam is more sensitive to stall, gears, exhaust, etc.

but i'm just a n00b, what do i know?
36 Chevrolet Low Cab, planned max 2800 lbs, 28" Mickey's, C4 IRS with 3.45's. Truth is....I want to learn to tune. Maybe LS1 Edit. Still mulling over the idea. Maybe I'll start out with something in the middle and learn to tune it. Your right....I am a noob. Have to start somewhere. Just wanted some insight in what to expect with the 4000 stall. No....never had one with an overdrive. Never modified anything with an overdrive.....thats why I was concerned. Had a couple 3500 stalls with a 400 turbo though.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-01-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stovebolter
Just wanted some insight in what to expect with the 4000 stall. No....never had one with an overdrive. Never modified anything with an overdrive.....thats why I was concerned. Had a couple 3500 stalls with a 400 turbo though.

Thanks,
Dave
i have some videos somewhere of me putting around town with the stall. let me look..

edit: apparently i removed them. anyhow - the 4k stall in a 4l60e isn't bad at all. OD and lock up are a great thing for gas mileage, and that 3.06 1st gear will get you off the line hard. in a 2800lb vehicle i think a 4k stall would be ok for the t-rex. not optimal, but much better than a 3600lb fbod haha.

Last edited by s346k; 08-01-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
i have some videos somewhere of me putting around town with the stall. let me look..

edit: apparently i removed them. anyhow - the 4k stall in a 4l60e isn't bad at all. OD and lock up are a great thing for gas mileage, and that 3.06 1st gear will get you off the line hard. in a 2800lb vehicle i think a 4k stall would be ok for the t-rex. not optimal, but much better than a 3600lb fbod haha.
Thanks. Its settled. On the list now: T-Rex V.2, Yank SS 4000, LS1 Edit, valve springs to match, PP intake, etc etc. Later I might go for the head swap. Thanks for the help.