Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dipstick issue please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dipstick issue please help

ok so heres my problem i finished my sts turbo install on my 98 ls1 ta and under boost i was blowing oil out my dipstick tube where it goes into the block. the reason for this (which i realized when comparing dipsticks) was that 3 inches of the original dipstick tube was still in the block along with the o ring. this was broken last year while doing a header install but not realized until now. so my question is, is there any way to get the remainder of it out with out dropping the pan? and if not can you get the pan out with the engine in the car and if yes then how?
Old 08-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Restricted User

i don't think you're going to be able to get it out without dropping the pan(which requires dropping the K member a little if you want to leave the engine in the car. I suggest you do that anyway to swap out your rod bolts if your bottom end isn't built.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Teching In

yea i would prefer to leave the engine in the car. what kind of rod bolts are a good replacement arp? whats the best way to drop the pan?
Old 08-01-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your main problem is too much crank case pressure. A vacuum pump may help you with this. I may be wrong but check in the forced induction section. And from what I heard stay away from using the ARP rod bolts. A lot fo spun rod bearings after installing the bolts. There is another type to use but I cant remember and when installing only do one bolt at a time and torque to specs.