Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS4 Harmonic Balancer on a LS1

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS4 Harmonic Balancer on a LS1

I am putting an LS1 (04) into a 88 Fiero soon. I will be using a V8 Archie kit, and I will have to "notch" the frame for the motor to fit as is. But I am looking at a way to minimize the cutting. The big issue is the Harmonic Balancer on the LS1. It is the standard "two sets" of grooves, one for the A/C and the other for the Alt , PS system. I will not need to run anything but the Alt for my conversion.

The question is will a LS4 (5.3 FWD) balancer work on the front of the LS1 motor, or is there a reason it will not. If it will fit/work and not screw up the motor, I can make the Alt work with it, I will make a plate to mount up the alt in the correct place.

Thanks in advance

RJ
Old 08-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Teching In

OK, so I guess that no one is going to answer, im just glad i didn't get the "use the search funtion". I guess if I would have, I would have seen that the motor is internaly balanced, and the balancer is specific to the vehicle. So it is possible to put the LS4 balancer on the LS1, it just going to be up to me to make it work.

thanks

RJ
Old 08-11-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by qwikgta
OK, so I guess that no one is going to answer, im just glad i didn't get the "use the search funtion". I guess if I would have, I would have seen that the motor is internaly balanced, and the balancer is specific to the vehicle. So it is possible to put the LS4 balancer on the LS1, it just going to be up to me to make it work.

thanks

RJ

you act like so many people should know that answer.

That I am aware of the balancers are balanced, not offset weighted, so I would imagine you would be fine, but I do not have a definate answer. The crank snout should be the same diameter, honestly so few people do what you are doing you most likely will have to find the answer through trial and error.

if nothing else free bump for you.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by qwikgta

thanks

RJ
yes thats the kinda thing that u fund out with trial and error if nothing else order a new 1 from ASP Underdrive Pulley (SFI Approved) 25% Underdrive LS1 F-Body Street/Strip from lmperformance.com tghey have tons of conversion and other things hard 2 get
Old 08-11-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

if any doubt use the known correct one and do the required cuts. metal work is easy. sorry im a welder.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Sorry for sounding like an ***, I had just been asking in other fourms too for about a week and getting no looks.

I agree this is not something done all the time. I guess I should have asked a more specific question. Before I had done some more research I was looking for just a basic answer, like "yes, it will bolt up, yes it fits" I understand it may not have been done, but I was not even sure if it would fit on the crank. I was just looking for that small bit of info too.

I willl try it, and if it does not work, ill use the stock GTO one and do the cutting/welding.

Thanks

Rob

Quick Reply: LS4 Harmonic Balancer on a LS1