Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine tick/ knock only when hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have u bought an automotive stethiscope and went all around with it yet? those things are really good at finding internal problems.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Banned

I think you are getting the same noise I have. I thought it might have been a lifter since I'm running .644 lift on a 228 degree intake lobe and high spring pressure, but that checked out.. I thought it might have been a loose flywheel bolt that maybe didn't get Lock-tite when I had the new SPEC clutch put in.. but with the clutch in and idling, it doesn't change. The noise goes away when the rpm's go up with mine, so it's not bearing related, and likely not lifter related. Oil pressure is 60psi at cruise. I am 100% sure mine is an exhaust leak. I think the rear header bolt drivers side got stripped, and not to mention the collectors were slip-ons, that were attemted to be welded, but I'm betting a weld came loose with all the vibrating the engine does.

I've had the noise for almost 2 years now. I hear it in the same place, mostly under the car. I did notice the other day that there were some black marks coming from the passenger O2 bung on the Y pipe, so I really need to get that checked out if it's leaking there.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blueTA'00
oh, and juiced, yes that does sound very similar to mine, if you rev it a little it almost makes more of a knock than a tick but at idle its more of a tick, and if i rev it a little while driving then let it coast in gear i cant hear it sometimes, like the sudden oil pressure build up makes it go away for a second, and jjd49 i dont think think its tranny/clutch related because it does it doesnt change the sound any with clutch movement or gear engagement, which i wish it did so i could just take it back to the tranny shop that did my rebuild and tell them to fix it lol
Keep me posted when you can. I swear you issue is very close to what I had. Definetly let a professional look at it if you cant find the cause before making a decision. We waited a couple weeks before actually starting tearing mine down but never really let a third party listen to it. But that noise wasn't going away and I was sure it was a bearing. I didn't drive mine though for fear of it really letting go and tearing up the block and then I wouldn't have the stock one to reuse.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Launching!

oh, and juiced, yes that does sound very similar to mine, if you rev it a little it almost makes more of a knock than a tick but at idle its more of a tick, and if i rev it a little while driving then let it coast in gear i cant hear it sometimes, like the sudden oil pressure build up makes it go away for a second, and jjd49 i dont think think its tranny/clutch related because it does it doesnt change the sound any with clutch movement or gear engagement, which i wish it did so i could just take it back to the tranny shop that did my rebuild and tell them to fix it lol
sounds more and more like a exhaust leak, Hhhhhmmmmmm. Could it be a bad belt pulley. It just entered my mind that when my car had about 500 miles on it , it started to make a funny ticking / squealing sound . It would get louder as I drove. It was a belt pully.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:12 AM

Hey guys, sorry it has been so long since ive updated. I was racking my brain and spending hours and hours trying to find that noise and finally figured it out after buying one of those mechanics stethescopes. The only place you can hear it internally with the stethescope is from the bellhousing, but not a sound from the oil pan or tranny, so im thinking flywheel or clutch related, so im taking it back to the tranny shop wednesday to let them look at it and fix it since it never did that once before i took it to them, but god am i releaved its not my engine and i found that damned noise!!!!!! ill keep you posted as to what they figure out
Old 11-20-2015, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, sorry it has been so long since ive updated. I was racking my brain and spending hours and hours trying to find that noise and finally figured it out after buying one of those mechanics stethescopes. The only place you can hear it internally with the stethescope is from the bellhousing, but not a sound from the oil pan or tranny, so im thinking flywheel or clutch related, so im taking it back to the tranny shop wednesday to let them look at it and fix it since it never did that once before i took it to them, but god am i releaved its not my engine and i found that damned noise!!!!!! ill keep you posted as to what they figure out
I know this is old, but you didnt post what the problem was, how did it go? im having this issue.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I had the same problem here years ago in a old fbody, would drive her around and after 15 minutes or so it would start ticking. Oddly enough I swapped out the Fram oil filter I was using and it was gone. I believe the Fram was starving the car of oil.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:47 AM

Default Seriously I NEED YOUR HELP

I have I been mean the exact issue you have. I am so sure, please tell me what it was
Old 07-19-2021, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,356 Posts

OP hasn't been here for 13 years. You really need to check your post dates....
Old 07-19-2021, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by G Atsma
OP hasn't been here for 13 years. You really need to check your post dates....
Dude I did.. I mean it doesn't hurt to try. But thanks for the heads up lol
The following users liked this post:
scout2000 (07-22-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Never mind him that's just what he does.."No offense G". I'm fixing to go on a dead thread hunt and say what I have to say until the MOD squad closes them down or locks them up. That'll put an end to all of this real quick..LOL
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Never mind him that's just what he does. "No offense G". I'm fixing to go on a dead thread hunt and say what I have to say until the MOD squad closes them down or locks them up. That'll put an end to all of this real quick.. LOL
None taken, man. You are quite cool....

Quick Reply: engine tick/ knock only when hot