Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken timing chain question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 01:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Broken timing chain question.

o man just did my cam a tr224 and kept the stock chain. i hate toripe the car apart again
It's not that bad, just drain the oil/coolant, pull off belts and crank pulley, water pump, timing chain cover, loosen the oil pan, take off oil pump and you're there. Get a double roller chain, and don't worry. I had to do this during my cam install about 4-5 times (don't ask), so I can now do all this to about in about 1 1/2 hours.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Gears say rollmaster,chain says IWIS and its a clean break doesnt look like it twisted
Old 09-01-2003, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

377 RWHP is about 420 -430 FWHP. I'd go back to the shop that recomended it and let them know about it. At least get them to stop putting them on and go with the doubles. And if that chain is rated at something higher (there must be a rating system) then maybe you can get some money or help from them or IWIS. This **** aint gonna be cheap.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:36 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

im glad i picked up a 2x rollmaster. my car has almost 100k miles on it so whatever chain on there needed replacing anyway. plus im going with the TR230
Old 09-03-2003, 04:52 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

all I can say is ouch.....
I have been chiming in on the reasons to go with a double chain...and used this thread as an example....hope the other guy listens.....
definately try to convince the shop to start using doubles....maybe with a lawyer you can get them to build you a new motor for their lack of reasoning....and for not even offering the stronger option to you???
Old 09-03-2003, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have been chiming in on the reasons to go with a double chain...and used this thread as an example....hope the other guy listens.....
definately try to convince the shop to start using doubles....maybe with a lawyer you can get them to build you a new motor for their lack of reasoning....and for not even offering the stronger option to you???
Damn, you can't go sueing everyone because they sold you something that broke. When you want to go fast, sometimes unfortunately you have to pay. Its just one of those things. No wonder everyone's insurance is so high...sue happy attorneys. **** happens
Old 09-03-2003, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn, you can't go sueing everyone because they sold you something that broke. When you want to go fast, sometimes unfortunately you have to pay. Its just one of those things. No wonder everyone's insurance is so high...sue happy attorneys. **** happens
I agree this is a modded car that I do drive the hell out of anyone I know can atest to the way I run the car[only at the track though]if the car was stock it would be a different story though.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:32 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

Mike have you thought about getting some ported heads since you have to pulled the heads off anyway?

I have the flywheel tool if you want to borrow it.

I broke a Cloyes chain back in 2000.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

John got it all apart looks like all 8 intake and atleast 4 exhaust valves are bent cant afford a set of stage 2 heads but I am looking into options for a set of port and polished heads hopefully I can afford a set I really hate to put it back together stock Looks like I have all the tools for now Ill keep you in mind though thanks
Old 09-03-2003, 05:02 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im gonna be out of work for atleast 4 months starting in january for a kidney transplant dont need this right now.
Hey I know how ya feel man, last December I had a major crissis at my job, and my son's kidneys were failing at the same time so I had to have one of mine taken out to donate to him. It seems overwhelming now, but it will be better after you do it. Be sure to sign up for Medicare; a little known fact is they pay on Kindney transplant surgery as well as the imunosupressives (mainly Prograf) you'll be on afterwards.
Good Luck to ya!!
Old 09-03-2003, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im gonna be out of work for atleast 4 months starting in january for a kidney transplant dont need this right now.
Hey I know how ya feel man, last December I had a major crissis at my job, and my son's kidneys were failing at the same time so I had to have one of mine taken out to donate to him. It seems overwhelming now, but it will be better after you do it. Be sure to sign up for Medicare; a little known fact is they pay on Kindney transplant surgery as well as the imunosupressives (mainly Prograf) you'll be on afterwards.
Good Luck to ya!!
Thanks the hospital seems to be taking care of eveything as far as the bills right now unbelievable but my wife is compatible Hows you son doing?
Old 09-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My son's doing great, just have to stay on his butt to so he takes his meds on time. Hey tell your wife I said donating a kidney is the most rewarding thing I have ever done . . . it was great to see my son all healthy again. And after 2 or 3 months I felt totally normal again with no side effects. But don't even try to get into your fbody for at least a month after surgery! Now that's the hard part . . .

Quick Reply: Broken timing chain question.