Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions regarding Yella Terra rocker install.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions regarding Yella Terra rocker install.

So I found needle bearings and a race in my oil last time I changed it so I decided it was time to upgrade my stock rockers to some Yella Terras.

I am reading the how to located here:
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=21

I still have a few questions though because I've never done this before and the instructions don't make sense to me.

1) How can I tell which cylinder is in a compression or combustion stroke using the guess method? The only thing I seem to be able to tell is which 2 rocker arms are parallel but not if the valvetrain is compressed down or not.

2)Do I need to do the preload procedure on every rocker I install? To me it makes no sense to just do it on one cylinder and then bolt down the others like normal. Plus I thought this didnt need to be done due to hydraulic lifters.

If it was up to me, I would install them this way:
1) Find out whether to use the shims or not
2) Bolt on all the rockers and torque to 22 ft lbs.
3) Be done with it.

Can someone who has done this provide some insight on this? I read another how to on installing the SLP rockers and it seemed like you can just bolt them on and go.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

2) The F-body method: Using a 24mm socket and a big wrench, you can turn the motor over by hand via the crankshaft pulley bolt in the center of the main pulley on the engine. While turning the bolt clockwise, you can watch the valvetrain move up and down. You'll see the exhaust valve spring compress......then it will come up and the intake valve will compress....and right after the intake valve comes back up the valves should stay shut for a bit. That will be a good place to stop turning the engine.
This is the procedure you need to use. You will know that both valves are shut by following this step.

you can also do this using the "starter method" if you have someone with you who can turn the key for you. Its not difficult at all.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Post 11... https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/970338-would-yella-terra-worth.html
Old 08-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jontall
That thread should be made a sticky.Good Info

Quick Reply: Questions regarding Yella Terra rocker install.