Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Main

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main

Anyone have a quick write up on how to change the rear main seal? I did a search but i could not find any instuctions.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remove the flywheel. 2. Remove the crankshaft rear oil seal.
3. Gently pry the seal from the rear cover. * Tools Required
* J41479 Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal Installer

IMPORTANT: * Do not lubricate the oil seal inside diameter (ID) or the crankshaft surface.
* Do not reuse the crankshaft rear oil seal.

1. Lubricate the outside diameter (OD) of the oil seal with clean engine oil. DO NOT allow oil or other lubricants to contact the seal surface.
2. Lubricate the rear cover oil seal bore with clean engine oil. DO NOT allow oil or other lubricants to contact the seal surface.

3. Install the J41479 cone (2) and bolts onto the rear of the crankshaft.
4. Tighten the bolts until snug. Do not overtighten.
5. Install the rear oil seal onto the tapered cone (2) and push the seal to the rear cover bore.
6. Thread the J41479 threaded rod into the tapered cone (2) until the tool (1) contacts the oil seal.
7. Align the oil seal onto the tool (1).
8. Rotate the handle of the tool (1) clockwise until the seal enters the rear cover and bottoms into the bore.
9. Remove the J41479. 10. Install the flywheel.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Where do i get J41479 Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal Installer?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive done it with out the insteller. Just simply you make sure you get the new type of rear main seal that gm makes ( the lip is towards the tranny now instead of the engine which makes it much easier to not mess it up) it has a plastic thing in the middle which keeps it in place. Take the plastic thing off and put elec tape around it a few times then insert the seal back on it. This will expand the seal just enough so when you slide it over the crank is easier, just push the seal in between the opening of the rear cover and the crank, if you do it slowly you shouldnt have any problems. Just make sure that you dont crimp any part of the seal because then it will leak. Ofcourse the rear cover will be in place just make sure its clean. Its doable but like i said the most important thing is that you dont crimp the seal at all. good luck.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by pewter 01 SS
ive done it with out the insteller. Just simply you make sure you get the new type of rear main seal that gm makes ( the lip is towards the tranny now instead of the engine which makes it much easier to not mess it up) it has a plastic thing in the middle which keeps it in place. Take the plastic thing off and put elec tape around it a few times then insert the seal back on it. This will expand the seal just enough so when you slide it over the crank is easier, just push the seal in between the opening of the rear cover and the crank, if you do it slowly you shouldnt have any problems. Just make sure that you dont crimp any part of the seal because then it will leak. Ofcourse the rear cover will be in place just make sure its clean. Its doable but like i said the most important thing is that you dont crimp the seal at all. good luck.
Good call. You can also buy a rear cover which is pretty cheap from GM and it comes with the cover, gasket, bolts and a rear main already installed, you just remove the old one, drop your oil pan a little, put it on, line it up so it's square and bolt your oil pan back up. It's pretty easy.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
Good call. You can also buy a rear cover which is pretty cheap from GM and it comes with the cover, gasket, bolts and a rear main already installed, you just remove the old one, drop your oil pan a little, put it on, line it up so it's square and bolt your oil pan back up. It's pretty easy.
Would you happen to have the part #? The dealer cant seem to "find" it
Old 08-22-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by badaSS346
Would you happen to have the part #? The dealer cant seem to "find" it
I sure don't. Just have them look up rear main, there's a few options, the more expensive is the rear cover with the rear main installed.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There's a seal from GM that comes with install tool. It's a big white plastic disk inside the seal....it works
Old 08-22-2008, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
I sure don't. Just have them look up rear main, there's a few options, the more expensive is the rear cover with the rear main installed.
They told me that it is the cover only...no seal, gasket or bolts.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Raffman
There's a seal from GM that comes with install tool. It's a big white plastic disk inside the seal....it works

THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, WHAT YOU DO YOU PUT SOME ELEC TAPE AROUND THE DISC AND YOU PUT THE SEAL BACK ON IT SO IT EXPANDS. AFTER A WHILE ALIGN IT CLOSE TO THE CRANK AND SLIDE OFF THE DISC ONTO THE CRANK. JUST LIBRACATE BOTH WITH A LITTLE OIL AND YOU SHOULD BE SET, IF YOU CAREFULL YOU WONT CRIMP THE SEAL AND ITS ALL GOOD. THERES NO NEED TO BUY A NEW COVER OR BOLTS JUST THE NEWER TYPE OF SEAL THAT COMES WITH THAT DISC.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pewter 01 SS
THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, WHAT YOU DO YOU PUT SOME ELEC TAPE AROUND THE DISC AND YOU PUT THE SEAL BACK ON IT SO IT EXPANDS. AFTER A WHILE ALIGN IT CLOSE TO THE CRANK AND SLIDE OFF THE DISC ONTO THE CRANK. JUST LIBRACATE BOTH WITH A LITTLE OIL AND YOU SHOULD BE SET, IF YOU CAREFULL YOU WONT CRIMP THE SEAL AND ITS ALL GOOD. THERES NO NEED TO BUY A NEW COVER OR BOLTS JUST THE NEWER TYPE OF SEAL THAT COMES WITH THAT DISC.
I understand....but for $50 i would rather get it ready to slip on...no tape or anything.

Quick Reply: Rear Main