Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single or double chain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Default Re: Single or double chain?

1999, the poll looks really nice. I like the idea of checking the difference in the two chains as you mentioned. It would also be nice to check the difference in the chains after both had ~30,000 miles on them and see how much the changed. I'm guessing the difference in new vs new would be ~1 degree. As for personal prefrance on the chains, is that true for most of the mod's for these cars? TR224 vs C2 vs X1 etc
Old 09-03-2003, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's very true about the personal preference with these cars. To be honest Bird, that's one of the things I found so ironic about how you and I seemed to be locked in such strong disagreement. Our "personal preferences" seemed impossible to find middle ground on. However, the mods in your sig are almost EXACTLY the setup I chose for my daily driver car.

-TEA Stage 2 5.3
-Comp 224/224 .581/.581
-LS6 Intake
-Hooker Coated LT's

As far as checking the chain goes, I'm definitely going to follow through with that. I think it would make an interesting follow up to this thread.

For all the people reading this, I don't want to give you the wrong idea. I'm not a guy who thinks there's only ONE WAY to do something. I wouldn't refuse to install a part on a person's car if they really wanted the part.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:44 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey...it all comes down to YOUR DECISION.
some people have had good success with the stock one...some have not....
on my 426 hemi I had a single that broke....what a pain....my double never broke......granted I dont actually know what caused the chain to break..cause I wasnt inside of the engine...
But atleast with the double...If one goes...you still have a fighting chance to get it stopped before the other goes.....most likely..if 1 goes the other will too...but theres still a chance it wont...its a little tiny bit of piece of mind...
just my $.02
Make your own decision...you've got plenty to work with from this post.

besides the reason doubles are made is because somebody broke a single...and gears because somebody broke a double....the list goes on as they keep breaking...
Old 09-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Restricted User

I think a nice follow up would be getting one of these engineering guys in here to make a timing gear drive set!

Thats a nice follow up.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

I can't seem to justify not changing the chain. If I didn't and it broke, I's have to shoot myself. This way if I change it and it breaks or ***** up the bearings in 30,000 miles, then I only have to shoot someone else.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,006 Posts

It's very true about the personal preference with these cars. To be honest Bird, that's one of the things I found so ironic about how you and I seemed to be locked in such strong disagreement. Our "personal preferences" seemed impossible to find middle ground on. However, the mods in your sig are almost EXACTLY the setup I chose for my daily driver car.

-TEA Stage 2 5.3
-Comp 224/224 .581/.581
-LS6 Intake
-Hooker Coated LT's

As far as checking the chain goes, I'm definitely going to follow through with that. I think it would make an interesting follow up to this thread.

Well for the most part I like the parts in your H & C set up.

On another note, are you keeping the stock oil pump or going with an after market one? I think this is another one of the single vs double type topics, if you know what I mean...

Do your TEA's have the revised valve job that was mentioned a few weeks back?

Please let me know what kinf of power your set up makes after it's installed.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the problem with a timing gear set is:
1) there realy isnt any room for that
2) the noise would be too loud for the knock sensor.....
I've thought about it many times...and engineers have said the same 2 things I just listed.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Launching!

The jury's out on that valve-job deal... I had trouble getting a pathology on that one. It seems I could never turn up a date that was chiseled in stone.

As far as oil pumps are concerned, I went with a lightly ported/cleaned up replacement. I get spooked at the relief valve shimming, but I don't see how the inlet/outlet porting could hurt.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:21 AM
12 Second Club

Frome what I understand, the most important part of any afternarket pump is the slight polishing of the area around the valve so it will never stick. Thats the whole point of getting one. The LS1 doesn't need any more pressure.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:17 AM
Launching!

Why is everybody so defensive over a lousy timing chain they all work. It is just that the stock single doesnt allow you to get the best from your cam due to it being so slack.

The bit about the double rollmaster excasberating wear on your bearings is unfounded and I would like to see the engineering explantation on why this would occur.

Point in case my motor was fitted with a double rollmaster at 36,000k on my second camshaft change in May we stripped the motor for its next rebuild at 128,000k bearings chain and gears perfect. I believe at the time I was basically one of the first to install and run this equipment so it would have been the original specification.

Like any product you can buy the best for piece of mind and it could still fail for any reason from bad install to faulty manufacture **** happens.

I should know I went with 941's at 16,000k on a 570 lift ARE swore buy them pity comp didnt.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

My stock chain with only ~30k miles on it was slack enough to be retarding the camshaft 4 degrees. I installed a Comp cams single chain adjustable with my lunati 231/237 as with the stock timing chain the exhaust valve to piston clearance was an issue. The comp cams piece is very nice, but not cheap.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just spend the extra $20 and be done with it. I got one and i run the **** out of my car every time i drive it. It has not broke. Or you could be cheap and buy the singe one and maybe f up you motor. Then you have an excuse to rebuild it from the bottom up! Guys like to do stuff!
Old 06-16-2007, 12:22 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1
Just spend the extra $20 and be done with it. I got one and i run the **** out of my car every time i drive it. It has not broke. Or you could be cheap and buy the singe one and maybe f up you motor. Then you have an excuse to rebuild it from the bottom up! Guys like to do stuff!
Do you realize you just responded to a thread thats 4 years old?
Old 06-16-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats been happening allot lately, lets see who can pull up the oldest.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
When I asked myself the same question, I decided if your going to mess with the timing chain do the best chain you can. For $85 a heat treated 2x Rollmaster can't be beat. The non heat treated on is like $65. This is chickfeed compared to what it cost to fix an engine if a single chain breaks.
Exactly.

I didn't have to read very far in this thread to find exactly what I would have said.

I have a cam only 98 with an MS3 that I currently only run to 6800 tops...shift points at 6500...and it has a heat treated Rollmaster double. Why not spend a tiny bit more money on something like this?

What is with the old threads? I mean, this is over two years old!
Old 06-17-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess they must have fixed the search function.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DaveX
I guess they must have fixed the search function.

Dont get too excited itll only last a few hours knowing this place.

Someone said the rollmaster double and SLP are teh same chain just the SLP is priced twice as high. Is the chain the same? Just wondering cause i got the more expensive SLP chain!

Quick Reply: Single or double chain?