Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a new AC compressor what to do now.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got a new AC compressor what to do now.

My compressor went out sometime ago, so i purchased a new one. I did a search and didnt come up with much as far as what i need to do to reinstall this one. Can anyone direct me on what i am going to need other than a compressor.

thanks
jay
Old 08-21-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well after you get it replaced, you need to get someone to pull a vacuum on the system and then have them recharge it.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

do i need to change out the dryer and condensor and all that other stuff?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Teching In

You need to have someone pull the freon out of the system,
then unbolt lines and compressor,
next you must check the package of the compressor they often contain a packet telling you whether or not the compressor is shipped with PAG oil or if you need to add oil to it, bolt in new compressor,
check o-rings on the lines,
replace o-rings if necessary,
tighten lines,
have somebody pull a vacuum on the system and recharge it with the proper amount of freon.

Replacing the dryer is smart anytime you open the ac system, but not necessarily required.

finally enjoy cold ac, hopefully
Old 08-22-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default comp repl

alot of what needs to be done depends on what was wrong with the old comp- did it leak? or did it seize? the Orifice tube needs to be pulled and inspected for debris- the system should be flushed to clean out the contaminants/debris from a failed comp. replace the drier should be done- it could of failed and killed the comp. - kinda like a best practices thing you may get away cutting corners - you may not thats why parts stores dont give you crap for a warranty on a repl comp as most people dont do whats needed. I am ASE certified in a/c - I dont cut those corners cause I sure dont want to be doing it again. hope this helps - also make sure there is the proper amount and type of oil being used - stay cool
Old 08-22-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zman1969
alot of what needs to be done depends on what was wrong with the old comp- did it leak? or did it seize? the Orifice tube needs to be pulled and inspected for debris- the system should be flushed to clean out the contaminants/debris from a failed comp. replace the drier should be done- it could of failed and killed the comp. - kinda like a best practices thing you may get away cutting corners - you may not thats why parts stores dont give you crap for a warranty on a repl comp as most people dont do whats needed. I am ASE certified in a/c - I dont cut those corners cause I sure dont want to be doing it again. hope this helps - also make sure there is the proper amount and type of oil being used - stay cool

The last one just went out when my sway bar hit the bottom of one of those lines that goes to the compressor. Then i replaced it and it worked great. Now a year later i did that dye thing with the light and it looks like the leak is coming from the housing of the compressor. How do i replace the dryer & where is that part located.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6']['9
The last one just went out when my sway bar hit the bottom of one of those lines that goes to the compressor. Then i replaced it and it worked great. Now a year later i did that dye thing with the light and it looks like the leak is coming from the housing of the compressor. How do i replace the dryer & where is that part located.
This is a common problem with this compressor. I'm working on my 2nd one and looking for a 3rd.

A friend told me about a solid body compressor that does not have that problem. I need to look into it.
But you should replace the dryer unit if it has some miles on it. Can't hurt!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the dryer/accumulator is the canister looking thing just behind your radiator cap close to the passengers side shock tower.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

You need to flush your condensor, change the orifice tube, Dryer, and o rings. You can get every thing you need at Oriellys. make sure you have some one vacume pump the system after you get it sealed back up. you can buy the flush stuff in a can witha spray tube on it at oriellys also then jsut blow it out with air compressor. Make sure they vacume pump the system good when done.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just for clarification, by flushing the condenser, he is meaning clean the fins on the outside. i read this at first and thought you ment flush the inside of it. bad idea.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

If you don't flush the inside of the condensor How are you going to get all of the debris out the compressor let loose? They do sell flush solution in a can to flush the inside of the condensor as well as your lines. You just have to make sure to blow plenty of compressed dry air through it to get as much of the flush solution out as possible. Then pump the system really good. I did mine this way about 2 years ago and it is still blowing Ice cold with no problems. The flush solution they have evaporates really quickly.
If your compressor is just leaking skip the flush. But if your compressor was bad and released some debris in the system you will have to flush it or replace.