Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to deal with a spun rod bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008 | 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default How to deal with a spun rod bearing?

I've done some research on this board and I believe that I have a spun rod bearing because:
  1. knock occurs approximately 6 times per second at idle
  2. knock is louder from below the car than above
  3. metal shavings on my drain plug
So, assuming I am correct... Is it possible to change rod bearings while the engine is still in the car? If so, can it be done as reliably as with the engine out of the car? Or does the whole engine need to come out?
Old 09-07-2008 | 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Cut a filter open and have a look. When mine spun a bearing it was full of trash.

You should take the motor out so you can do it correctly. It might be possible to roll a new set in while it's still in the car but IMO I'd rather take it out and put on a stand so you can go the the whole motor while it's out and make sure theres nothing else worng.
Old 09-07-2008 | 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

I have heard of some old mechanic tales of getting a new bearing and shim it with aluminum paper and get it back to the size it needs to be. In my opinion you need to pull the motor and just re-bearing the whole motor while you're at it put some rings on it too. You would most likely have some metal shavings embedded in the other bearings. Find another motor out of a wrecked car it would probably be faster to swap it out then trying to repair yours and you would have your old motor to build for a later date.
Old 09-07-2008 | 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

+3...pull the engine. The crank may have damage the conecting rod could be bad too. also put your hand on the oil pan while its running you'll be able feel if the bearing spun. hone it, new cam bearing, rod bearings, main bearing, and rings.
Old 09-10-2008 | 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

From: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work

Originally Posted by conan
+3...pull the engine. The crank may have damage.
Old 09-11-2008 | 04:34 AM
TECH Regular

i recently span a bearing and i'vce found traces of metal/bearing throughout the oil system so its worth taking it all out , to do it right and ensure all your oil hoses etc are flushed out and cleaned at the same time.
Old 09-11-2008 | 04:41 AM
TECH Addict

Pull the motor and do it right, do it once. It might take some more time and money but in the long run you will have some ease of mind knowing that you repaired it properly and checked everything over.
Old 09-11-2008 | 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds good, thanks guys. Its been a consensus, pull the motor.