Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head/Cam swap tomorrow....WISH ME LUCK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_z28_m6
I agree with Predator. Damn your pretty fast.
Glad I'm not alone thinking that. Just taking off the old heads wiped me out. There's 30 bolts, 15 on each head, and the 20 M-11 bolts make you work. I didn't use an air tool, and I kept whacking my hand trying to get the bolts off near the firewall, blood was dripping down my arm. That was more than I wanted to do in one day. Once I get the gasket material off and bolt holes clean I can start putting the car back together.

How are you making out? You must be almost done I bet. You got your new heads on yet?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Predator
Way to go, you're kicking my butt. And here I am giving you advice, haha. It took me a long time just to get to the point where the heads are removed. You'll be driving around and I'll be wrestling with my headers.

BTW, you got any tips you learned about cleaning-off the gasket material and bolt holes? That's my next step. Great work!
I think it helped a lot by reading up on ls1howto.com and all the threads on how to do the head/cam swap. I pretty much didnt need to read the instructions once i got started!!!

Man that cleaning process probably did take the longest. At least a couple hours!! I did use paper towels to soak up the coolant in the holes and grinded a head bolt to clean the holes. To clean the gasket material off the block i used a mini air drill with a rubber pad that like hundreds on little "fingers" on them. This totaly cleaned the block surface without digging into the soft aluminum. I did try both plastic and metal scrappers, plastic working the best.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

haha. feels good dont it man. ive only done it once. and it wasnt really hard, just very time consuming and you have to be maticulous. im getting my engine rebuilt right now...not by me. and im goin with the prc ls6 stage 1 heads with an ms3. cant wait for the #s.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by badazz99ta
haha. feels good dont it man. ive only done it once. and it wasnt really hard, just very time consuming and you have to be maticulous. im getting my engine rebuilt right now...not by me. and im goin with the prc ls6 stage 1 heads with an ms3. cant wait for the #s.
Bittersweet.

The way I feel at the moment, I wouldn't want to do have to do it again, and I'm not even done with this install, about halfway. I'm hoping it's downhill from here though. At least I get to start putting the car together instead of taking it apart. I kind of dread torquing the new heads down, but maybe it will be easier than taking the old ones off.

Yes, it's been extremely time-consuming, but I've been taking my time too and being meticulous as you mentioned.

Congrats on your new H/C! Interesting that someone else is doing it. I wonder why.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tnmotown
I think it helped a lot by reading up on ls1howto.com and all the threads on how to do the head/cam swap. I pretty much didnt need to read the instructions once i got started!!!

Man that cleaning process probably did take the longest. At least a couple hours!! I did use paper towels to soak up the coolant in the holes and grinded a head bolt to clean the holes. To clean the gasket material off the block i used a mini air drill with a rubber pad that like hundreds on little "fingers" on them. This totaly cleaned the block surface without digging into the soft aluminum. I did try both plastic and metal scrappers, plastic working the best.
Excellent! Thanks for the tips. I decided I'm going to use a 3/8" air ratchet to run the cleaning bolt in the holes. That should help. I'll see if I can locate a rubber pad like you mentioned. Thanks!

I did all the reading too. I read Jmx's F-body head swap and cam and head swap a million times, plus every thread I could find, and I'm still WAY slower than you. I think some people have more of an aptitude for doing this stuff than others. You seem to be mechanically gifted, and that's awesome.

Keep us posted on your progress. I've enjoyed your thread especially since I'm doing a head install at the same time as you. Awesome!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, I'm just dropping in, but it's been a good read so far. Especially cause I'm getting ready to start on my own H/C/I swap. I'm trying to soak up all the hints! Thanks...and look forward to finding out how you finished up.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:04 PM
11 Second Club

yeah its not that bad once you just jump in and do it, it is very time consuming though! Your head/cam package is almost the same as mine. I have the same PRC LS6 heads but i think my cam is just a tad bit bigger. I'll keep you posted on my results.

Excellent! Thanks for the tips. I decided I'm going to use a 3/8" air ratchet to run the cleaning bolt in the holes. That should help. I'll see if I can locate a rubber pad like you mentioned. Thanks!

I did all the reading too. I read Jmx's F-body head swap and cam and head swap a million times, plus every thread I could find, and I'm still WAY slower than you. I think some people have more of an aptitude for doing this stuff than others. You seem to be mechanically gifted, and that's awesome.

Keep us posted on your progress. I've enjoyed your thread especially since I'm doing a head install at the same time as you. Awesome!
Glad i can help as much as i could with the little tips. If there is anything else that i come across that might be helpful i will let you know. Well actually here is a tip, have everything that you need ready!! lol. Im waiting for my gasket set from TSP so im at a stand-still right now.

Originally Posted by joesscamaro252
Yeah, I'm just dropping in, but it's been a good read so far. Especially cause I'm getting ready to start on my own H/C/I swap. I'm trying to soak up all the hints! Thanks...and look forward to finding out how you finished up.

Once you get started on your swap it should be all good. Just follow along the guide on ls1howto.com and post up on this forum if need any help. I keep posted on the results. thanks
Old 09-09-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Cool

<Well actually here is a tip, have everything that you need ready!! lol. Im waiting for my gasket set from TSP so im at a stand-still right now.>

I'm gonna pass you tomorrow.

Seriously, I got all my stuff. My new heads are all ready to go in, plugs installed, coolant sensor and block-off plug swapped over, coolant plugs installed (don't forget those), the bolts for stuff in back of the heads are in the right holes. BTW, that bracket on the back of the driver's side head is part of the AIR system, so you don't really need it, and it's one less thing to have to bolt-in behind the heads (if you didn't already know).
Old 09-09-2008, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

I'm gonna pass you tomorrow.

Seriously, I got all my stuff. My new heads are all ready to go in, plugs installed, coolant sensor and block-off plug swapped over, coolant plugs installed (don't forget those), the bolts for stuff in back of the heads are in the right holes. BTW, that bracket on the back of the driver's side head is part of the AIR system, so you don't really need it, and it's one less thing to have to bolt-in behind the heads (if you didn't already know).[/QUOTE]

lol, yeah today was a major setback. Only worked on the car for about 2 hours. Got the ls2 chain in, lined up the dots on the gears, did little more cleaning and also the head accessories swap. Basically i wasted 6 hours of just sitting home waiting today

Good luck on your swap and keep up the progress!! Im gonna go in work early tomorrow to HOPEFULLY have it fired up at the end of the day.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

<HOPEFULLY have it fired up at the end of the day.>

You're a mechanical wizard. There's no way in hell I'll be fired up by the end of the day, or even the next day, or day after that. Plus you're doing heads and cam which involves removing even more parts, including the radiator. My hat's off to guys like you.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

You're a mechanical wizard. There's no way in hell I'll be fired up by the end of the day, or even the next day, or day after that. Plus you're doing heads and cam which involves removing even more parts, including the radiator. My hat's off to guys like you.[/QUOTE]

thanks, yeah a few guys in the shop are kinda shocked im doing this work considering im there "lube tech". well i got my gasket and bolt kit from UPS last night. Im off to work to wrap it up. Next time i post up on here, i should be finished!?!?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

<thanks, yeah a few guys in the shop are kinda shocked im doing this work considering im there "lube tech". well i got my gasket and bolt kit from UPS last night. Im off to work to wrap it up. Next time i post up on here, i should be finished!?!?>

Maybe after you finish they'll be your lube techs.

I'm looking forward to seeing the engine together. Good luck! Have fun!
Old 09-10-2008, 09:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything looks great! Keep up the good work & get us a sound clip when she's all together!! The PRC Stage 1 LS6 & the LG cam should work really well together!!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 09-10-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
The PRC Stage 1 LS6 & the LG cam should work really well together!!

Any guesses / expectations on what she's going to put down when she's on the dyno ??
Old 09-10-2008, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

SHE'S ALIVE!!!!

Got it fired up and everything checked ok. No leaks or anything. Not even a check engine light (maybe because P0300 got tuned out from last time). Its sounds AWESOME and i will try to get a video clip up here shortly.

I think it is going to need a tune pretty soon though. It bucks a little from slow take offs and also when i try to give it full throttle it will sputter. I can ease up into the RPM's with no problem, just cant mash the pedal. Maybe because the bigger injectors and size of cam???

Anyways, im soooo happy i got it done. Im going to spend rest of the day driving it around and check for anytihng. Thanks again for all your guys help and to ls1howto.com!

Old 09-10-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Awesome dude! Congrats! Looks great too.

Looks like I lost , I just finished cleaning the block and the bolt holes. Took me 4 hours.

Have fun!
Old 09-10-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

congrats man. i wish i was somewhere where i could do my rebuild myself. but i cant. nonetheless im ready for that girl to get out of the shop.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like you did a good job. Fired right up, no lights on, no leaks...that's pretty awesome. Especially if it's your first time?! Get that sound clip up or a video or something.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

Awesome dude! Congrats! Looks great too.

Looks like I lost , I just finished cleaning the block and the bolt holes. Took me 4 hours.

Have fun!
Thanks. Good luck on your swap. After the cleaning of the block, everything else isnt too bad.

congrats man. i wish i was somewhere where i could do my rebuild myself. but i cant. nonetheless im ready for that girl to get out of the shop.
I hear ya. Im just fortunate to work at a dealership and have them let me use the shop. You'll be happy when its out of the shop. Love the camaro's!!

Originally Posted by joesscamaro252
Sounds like you did a good job. Fired right up, no lights on, no leaks...that's pretty awesome. Especially if it's your first time?! Get that sound clip up or a video or something.
Im doing nothing tomorrow so i'll see what i can do for some video clips
Old 09-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

quick question since we are on the topic,is it ok to drive it around with no tune as long as you don't race it?