15.69%
Other, follow up with a post of what/why
19.61%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Broken PRC ls6 heads... What to replace with? MS3 Cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008 | 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Cartek are NOT budget... I would see what it would cost to get a set of ls6 hand ported by a reputable shop. And you might want to check out the for sale section.

Eric
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28poweredlt1
I see where you are coming from. But at the same time, these guys dont make the heads themselves. They're just a distributor.

We'll see what happens though.
Yeah you are wrong there. TSP=PRC=TSP. Just like both your left and right arm belong to you, they are both TSP...
Old 09-10-2008 | 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW!!!! Look how little material was under the rocker after all the porting they did. No wonder those heads were breaking there. It looks paper thin!!
Old 09-10-2008 | 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
how much did you pay for tyhe heads if you don't mind me asking, and what do they flow?
Not sure about the orig flow numbers, their new stg1 ls1 heads are like 305(intake) @ .600 lift.

I got a really good deal on heads/cam/kooks LTs/intake/underdrive pulley and basically everything needed to the swap from a board member. Lets just say the whole set-up cost me less than a set of TFS "as cast" heads. The only other real things I needed were lifters, injectors, and that beautiful tune Job that George(12secSS) did for me.

TSP made it up to me on the replacement heads. They werent completely free... But to good to pass up, and with a warranty this time.
Old 09-10-2008 | 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
Yeah you are wrong there. TSP=PRC=TSP. Just like both your left and right arm belong to you, they are both TSP...
Whoops! Well, ya live some ya learn some right?
Old 09-10-2008 | 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Not sure about the orig flow numbers, their new stg1 ls1 heads are like 305(intake) @ .600 lift.

I got a really good deal on heads/cam/kooks LTs/intake/underdrive pulley and basically everything needed to the swap from a board member. Lets just say the whole set-up cost me less than a set of TFS "as cast" heads. The only other real things I needed were lifters, injectors, and that beautiful tune Job that George(12secSS) did for me.

TSP made it up to me on the replacement heads. They werent completely free... But to good to pass up, and with a warranty this time.
Thanks man! You know I got your back Mark when you are ready.
Old 09-10-2008 | 11:51 PM
12 Second Club

hey man what are u doing with those heads that are broke?
Old 09-11-2008 | 12:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Thanks man! You know I got your back Mark when you are ready.
You know it George!

I'll probably end up getting it re-dyno'd to after we get everything done, I want to see any differences these heads make. I remember my LS6 heads made slightly more than Billy's 5.3 heads, and he had a fast 90/90 on it.

So even if it hurts me a little, no biggy. So long as I get some more mid range torque out of it!
Old 09-11-2008 | 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by whitew01ws6
hey man what are u doing with those heads that are broke?
Selling them, or parting them out and selling them.

I need the rockers, and the little rocker shaft thing(don't remember the name of it).

Come buy them.
Old 09-11-2008 | 12:09 AM
10 Second Club

There is not enough material, that is way too thin esp. for dbl springs and high revving. Manufacturer should hook you up with a great deal on a revised casting. Those heads are junk.
Old 09-11-2008 | 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sooo my PRC stage 1 ls6 heads decided to take a nose dive. One of the rocker collums broke and opened up the intake port to the rest of the head lol.

So I'm trying to decide which heads to replace these with. I'm HOPING TSP will throw me a bone as they told me these were from a bad batch in 05, they arent going to send me free heads or anything but you know some gaskets and free shipping would be great!

Basically I need to know the real differences between the stg 2.5 5.3 heads they offer, and the stg 1 ls6 heads(Much revised since my version) they offer now.

I've done my searching and what not, I want to know if people are making more low end torque out of the 5.3 heads, or more power across the whole board including peak?

Or is there another budget head out there that I should be considering? Keep in mind this is a bang for the buck job, I already bought heads once, I wasn't planning on buying the same heads again to replace them. Nor to I want to spend 2k on a set of non-GM castings.

Anyone had any luck with the trick flow as cast heads? Flow numbers? Dyno sheets? If I'm lucky a dyno sheet with an MS3 cam?

Thanks in advance.

-Mark
Niot to add spice to an allready hot dish, but..

TSP was/is well aware of the issue and it happened way more than once. Your situation just happened to be delayed. They even revised their CNC program to reduce amount of material taken away during CNC from 230cc to 227 cc to avoid this issue and re-enforced the rocker area.

You are actualy lucky to have lasted that long and with no other serious damage.

IMO TSP should send you an equal new set of heads (revised) because the fault is in their CNC program and not in the casting.
Old 09-11-2008 | 12:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Niot to add spice to an allready hot dish, but..

TSP was/is well aware of the issue and it happened way more than once. Your situation just happened to be delayed. They even revised their CNC program to reduce amount of material taken away during CNC from 230cc to 227 cc to avoid this issue and re-enforced the rocker area.

You are actualy lucky to have lasted that long and with no other serious damage.

IMO TSP should send you an equal new set of heads (revised) because the fault is in their CNC program and not in the casting.
I'm afraid, it doesn't quite work that way. People don't just throw around money like that. the truth is I really only personally payed another board member about 400 bucks for these with 200 miles on them in perfect working order. So I can't really expect them to give me a free $1200 set of heads you know?

They still DID help me out with the 5.3's, I don't want to say how much for their sake, but lets just say it was worth it at this point. I'm not gonna squeze free heads out of them. I worked in shops for 5 or 6 years and I know how business goes.

Thanks Pred, I apreciate your help with all of this. But I can't help but ask, is it me or is there some animosity between you guys?
Old 09-11-2008 | 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you are satisfied,that is what matters, I didn't pay attention that you were not the original owner. I guess you are right. I withdraw my comment then.

We have some history, mostly politics, had to do with opinion differences. had some issues as a customer as well (in the begining of PRC birth, when the operation was in someones garage)

But I have no beef with them, just when I see something not right, I voice my opinion. I am not behind the maketing bandwagon.
Old 09-11-2008 | 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
If you are satisfied,that is what matters, I didn't pay attention that you were not the original owner. I guess you are right. I withdraw my comment then.

We have some history, mostly politics, had to do with opinion differences. had some issues as a customer as well (in the begining of PRC birth, when the operation was in someones garage)

But I have no beef with them, just when I see something not right, I voice my opinion. I am not behind the maketing bandwagon.
Predator Z,
JFYI, PRC was never in someones garage. Where did that come from?
Old 09-11-2008 | 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

PRC was a separate entity that TSP used to subcontract to. I forgot his name. That is before TSP brought the operation in house, that was in the very begining, I own a set of those heads. The garage meaning garage shop. There was many issues about quality. Mine had a blocked water passage and a retainer lodged in a runner. Not to mention my heads never flowed the advertised 300 cfm.
But that is past and a long time ago. TSP has gone ages forward now, the minute they brought PRC inhouse.
As I said I have no beef with them.
This week, I dissagree with the AFR comparison to their 215 5.3L heads, the thead speaks for itself and in another, running 59c 5.3s, .040 gasket and TR224 112 (too much DCR)
Both threads tech related and no bashing (from my part at least).
Old 09-11-2008 | 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have installed prc stage 2.5 5.3 heads with ms3 and T2 cams on a few cars and they and all make 440-470whp A4-m6. One of the A4 cars put done 441whp on a mustang dyno and a yank ss3600 stall!
Old 09-11-2008 | 02:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Predator: That's incorrect. PRC has never been in a garage. It didn't always have its built building and had to share shop space in the back with the techs. But they never machined a single head or part at a home. They have been on our premises since day 1.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-11-2008 | 03:06 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Predator: That's incorrect. PRC has never been in a garage. It didn't always have its built building and had to share shop space in the back with the techs. But they never machined a single head or part at a home. They have been on our premises since day 1.
He didn't mean out of a home, he ment "In-house"
Old 09-11-2008 | 03:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Got it. Sorry I mis-read that!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 09-12-2008 | 02:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
It came back, 2004, Terry @ Racetech, he is the one who used to work on the PRCs, those were the ones I got (still have but been massaged since ).
That is where PRCs came from and due to serious delays and some quality issues (like mine), Jason (IIRC) pulled the operation in-house to TSP). He also hired a guy (forgot his name), who was a SAM graduate (pretty good at what he does) and PRC took off in a brand new and exciting direction.
Come to think about it, TVWilkes you should know, back in the days when Gomer went 10s with a PRC set and pretty much set the motion for a good alternative to Patriot heads (only budget deal then).

Man that all brings back memories

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 09-12-2008 at 03:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Broken PRC ls6 heads... What to replace with? MS3 Cam