Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR Heads....STILL getting the job done!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

that is a nice looking combo Tony. Another Great combo for AFR
Old 09-21-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did I miss what type of car this motor was installed in, and what transmission and rearend/gearing it has?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't mean for Tony to get in a pissing match but another thread in this section a guy asks what heads to put on a 408 stroker and some of them are knocking the afr 225's and telling him to put prc ls6 stage 2 heads and they are even claiming 10 more rwhp with a head change from the afr 225's to the tfs 225's. Then they are claiming 45 more rwhp from an afr 225 to a 235 tfs.

I am a diehard AFR fan and find it kind of difficult to claim these #s. Maybe from head to head but I can't see going up by 10 cc on the head to gain 45 rwhp.

Chime in on this on if can Tony but read the other thread.

I kinda feel like I work for AFR because I was getting a little disturbed when I read that thread.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I for one have been running the AFR205 heads for 2 years now in my 383 stroker w/Fast90. They were installed right out of the box, no porting or milling.

Last year I called Tony for a cam recomendation to match my 383 block and 205 heads. Needless to say, it was this same cam (234/238), which I bought and installed.

Unfortunetly, I'm falling a bit short of these numbers. :-(
After tuning the dyno spit out 480rwhp and 440rwtq.

Dont get me wrong, my car runs great, fun to drive, and kills most anything pulling up to me. But wow! with Tony's Head & Intake porting, and other trade secrets, his combo is pulling out an extra +50rwhp / +60rwtr.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLSS
Did I miss what type of car this motor was installed in, and what transmission and rearend/gearing it has?

Thanks
Its installed on a C5 Z06 (not sure what year)....6 speed of course with a stock 3.42 ring and pinion.

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
I for one have been running the AFR205 heads for 2 years now in my 383 stroker w/Fast90. They were installed right out of the box, no porting or milling.

Last year I called Tony for a cam recomendation to match my 383 block and 205 heads. Needless to say, it was this same cam (234/238), which I bought and installed.

Unfortunately, I'm falling a bit short of these numbers. :-(
After tuning the dyno spit out 480rwhp and 440rwtq.

Dont get me wrong, my car runs great, fun to drive, and kills most anything pulling up to me. But wow! with Tony's Head & Intake porting, and other trade secrets, his combo is pulling out an extra +50rwhp / +60rwtr.
There are only a couple of dozen variables here including the actual engine's shortblock and attention to detail within the build (I'm extremely **** when it comes to engine assembly and the proper machinework....perfectly round bores (and finish) as well as optimal bearing clearances). I could probably quickly walk you thru 75% or more of what you may have missed to get the results I have gotten...alot of which aren't part of the actual engine build (type of headers, exhaust, lightweight flywheel/clutch combo, heavy rims and tires hurting the numbers, how optimized a particular tune really is, type of dyno, rear end ratio, etc. etc.) Then we can talk about stuff that is affiliated with the combination....milling the heads for additional compression, degreeing the cam, porting the FAST intake and TB, porting the heads which I already stated was worth 10-15 HP and TQ, yella terra rockers worth another 5 RWHP.....start adding up all the variables and those 5, 10, and 15 HP gains add up in a hurry.

No different than a guy complaining his 224/228 cammed 346 with AFR 205's only made 430 HP (versus the 475-480 mine made on six different dynos in two different states). Combination is everything and if you missed alot of the details trying to compare one combination to another is a fruitless exercise but one that certainly shows just how important the right combination is. I feel one of my strengths is the ability to produce more with less (smaller cam, heads, etc) by carefully selecting the right components of a particular project. None of the people I have worked closely with have been disappointed....if your looking for more and willing to invest the time and money to do so, call me and I promise I can make a substantial improvement to your dyno numbers if your willing to fund the project. Because you have the same heads and cam is just scratching the surface but makes a great start for optimizing because the important essentials of the build are already in place...

Seriously....give me a call one of these days.

(661)257-8124 Ext. 109

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I don't mean for Tony to get in a pissing match but another thread in this section a guy asks what heads to put on a 408 stroker and some of them are knocking the afr 225's and telling him to put prc ls6 stage 2 heads and they are even claiming 10 more rwhp with a head change from the afr 225's to the tfs 225's. Then they are claiming 45 more rwhp from an afr 225 to a 235 tfs.

I am a diehard AFR fan and find it kind of difficult to claim these #s. Maybe from head to head but I can't see going up by 10 cc on the head to gain 45 rwhp.

Chime in on this on if can Tony but read the other thread.

I kinda feel like I work for AFR because I was getting a little disturbed when I read that thread.
If that were the case there should be quite a few combo's with the other heads mentioned putting up RWHP numbers that we dont normally see.....I know for a fact I haven't seen any to reflect those types of quoted gains. The cheerleader factor is everywhere and the difficult part for people trying to truly further their education or learn about what product really may (or may not) deliver is weeding thru all the BS.....unfortunately unless you have a fair amount of background in this hobby that's actually alot harder to do than it would seem.

If I get a chance I may visit that thread and I appreciate the heads up either way....

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 09-21-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conquer And Opress

WELL MORPHEUS I KNOW HOW IT IS DEALING W/THE CHEERLEADING POSSE! BUT THE WORK AND CRAFTMANSHIP OF THE AFR CREW IS 2nd TO NONE.AND I STAND BY UR SIDE! "PERIOD". I HAVE ACOUPLE OF THE SBC 227's AND A SET OF YOUR BBC 308's THAT YOU REDESIGNED! [OF WHICH BOTH ARE A SET OF THE FINEST CASTINGS I HAVE SEEN.]
MORPHEUS! I FOR ONE LOOK AT AIRSPEED,NOT THAT I DRAG RACE DYNOS OR FLOWBENCHES. BUT!!!!!!!!!! THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING! AND YES ITS TRUE AIRSPEED DOES FILL THE CYLINDERS AND THOSE BBC ARE SOME RAMMINMOFO's SO NOT TO WORRY MY BROTHA EVERY TIME I CALL YOUR HOUSE, UR BOY JASON HAS ALWAYS BEEN AT THE TOP OF HIS GAME WHEN IT COMES TO TAKING CARE OF ME AND MY POSSE!
I HAVE FOUND THE BEST THING TO DO IS WHAT I ALWAYS DO! AND THATS JUST..................BE WAITING FOR THEM AT THE FINISH LINE! AND THE LITTLE CHEERLEADERS BETTER. HAVE. MY. MONEY!
MORPHEUS YOU HAVE DONE AN AWSOM WORK IN THE REDESIGHNING OF THE WHOLE LINE. DONT EVEN RENT SPACE IN YOUR MIND TO THE FLIPFLOP POSSE! IF ANYONE THINKS THEY GOT GAME LET THEM BRINGIT! AND IF THEY DO CALL ME CAUSE I WANT TO BET ON YOU AND MAKE SOME MONEY![LMFAO]
Old 09-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Restricted User

Very Nice!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 04:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Tony, I didnt want to clutter your thread, so I sent you a pm
Old 09-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Launching!

Awesome write up and you basically just convinced me that AFR's are the way to go. I am currently building a 383 setup and in the market for heads. I was wondering what LSA this cam is? I recently purchased a Futral 239/246 112+4 for my engine. It is also going in a daily driver and now I am wondering if I went to big. Any thoughts?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRracing
Tony, I'm putting together a 383 and using my 205's from my camaro along with a T rex cam on a 110lsa, a victor jr/mighty demon 750cfm carb. The only accessories are an alternator. This will be mainly a drag car. I'm also using the YT ultra lites 1.7 adjustable as you recommended.

I'm expecting big results.
who sells YT adjustable ultra lites? no one list them
Old 09-30-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
LOL, sorry Tony. I'm on my laptop and it really isn't fun to type on

I admit it was a below par post...hehehehe

If typing was easier I would have gone into the setup you put together for me. As it was it was a shameless attempt to ride on your coat tails
That's a **** poor excuse. Don't blame it on the keyboard, it was a plug for your business. Plain and simple.

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
There are only a couple of dozen variables here including the actual engine's shortblock and attention to detail within the build (I'm extremely **** when it comes to engine assembly and the proper machinework....perfectly round bores (and finish) as well as optimal bearing clearances). I could probably quickly walk you thru 75% or more of what you may have missed to get the results I have gotten...alot of which aren't part of the actual engine build (type of headers, exhaust, lightweight flywheel/clutch combo, heavy rims and tires hurting the numbers, how optimized a particular tune really is, type of dyno, rear end ratio, etc. etc.) Then we can talk about stuff that is affiliated with the combination....milling the heads for additional compression, degreeing the cam, porting the FAST intake and TB, porting the heads which I already stated was worth 10-15 HP and TQ, yella terra rockers worth another 5 RWHP.....start adding up all the variables and those 5, 10, and 15 HP gains add up in a hurry.

No different than a guy complaining his 224/228 cammed 346 with AFR 205's only made 430 HP (versus the 475-480 mine made on six different dynos in two different states). Combination is everything and if you missed alot of the details trying to compare one combination to another is a fruitless exercise but one that certainly shows just how important the right combination is. I feel one of my strengths is the ability to produce more with less (smaller cam, heads, etc) by carefully selecting the right components of a particular project. None of the people I have worked closely with have been disappointed....if your looking for more and willing to invest the time and money to do so, call me and I promise I can make a substantial improvement to your dyno numbers if your willing to fund the project. Because you have the same heads and cam is just scratching the surface but makes a great start for optimizing because the important essentials of the build are already in place...

If that were the case there should be quite a few combo's with the other heads mentioned putting up RWHP numbers that we dont normally see.....I know for a fact I haven't seen any to reflect those types of quoted gains. The cheerleader factor is everywhere and the difficult part for people trying to truly further their education or learn about what product really may (or may not) deliver is weeding thru all the BS.....unfortunately unless you have a fair amount of background in this hobby that's actually alot harder to do than it would seem.

If I get a chance I may visit that thread and I appreciate the heads up either way....

Thanks,
Tony
I think this has to do with it than anything, your experience and attention to detail. There are countless threads where people don't make "great" power with AFR heads. I think you could make any engine run great! I even think you could build a killer engine with "another" brand of head.

As always Tony is right. It's the combination of parts, attention to detail and "tricks" that make the most power. People make killer numbers with 243 heads if everything is setup right.

Yes AFR's make great power but the type of builds you do are not replicated that often. I am no way bashing AFR, I have a set on my SBC 400!

Bump for a guy that has forgot more than I will ever know about engines.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a shame Tony doesn't post much on here anymore.....He has shared lots of great info in the past..

Haha!! Funny how as soon as you talk about somebody they show up

Good to see ya back on here Tony and looking forward to the results

Last edited by SOMbitch; 10-02-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:18 AM
CARTEK Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
what can say? and that is RWHP

with a relatively small cam for Cid size.

I keep saying "AFR 205 in a league by itself"

Stupid question...

Why does the dyno graph say "Torque Flywheel FtLb" ?

Awesome low end numbers no doubt!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the afr heads have always packed a strong punch.
nothing new here
Old 09-30-2009, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

wish I could afford some afr's, until then Im stuck with my junk patriots lol
Old 09-30-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great results. I'm loving my AFR 205's milled for 11.4:1 comp.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Any news on the AFR 215's ???????????? Can't wait for this information to break.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Any news on the AFR 215's ???????????? Can't wait for this information to break.
Maybe that's why Tony isn't posting much
Old 09-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
It's a shame Tony doesn't post much on here anymore.....He has shared lots of great info in the past..
I'm just spread a little thin these days and my focus on designing/developing new products recently has really limited the time I can spend here.

Look for alot more of my involvement when I start highlighting the new AFR 215 and 245 heads hopefully by the close of the year or sooner. Both are very exciting in there own right and should help hopefully to push the envelope a bit harder in cathedral design performance. I have a 407 CID (stoker LS2) build I will have on the dyno with the 215's and a 447 fire breathing monster that I will be fitting the 245's on (and ultimately installing in my C5).

Both combinations will privy you guys to engine (flywheel) dyno numbers and ultimately chassis dyno numbers as well which I think is very valuable information not usually made available to you guys. The 407 build which focuses on a very drivable, "user friendly" combination that can still haul the mail will also be installed in a C5 with a similar driveline to my own (essentially both are optimized so we are hoping for strong rear wheel/chassis dyno results relative to the type of build we are discussing).

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 09-30-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the update Tony

Quick Reply: AFR Heads....STILL getting the job done!