Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pump o ring

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation oil pump o ring

Doing an ls swap in 67 camaro and removed oil pickup and had to do a little grinding and fabbin to get it to fit in pan after altering the front of it and was wondering when i put new oring on and tightened up bolt, the oring went in like it should but there is small gap on top side where there is no bolt is this a problem long as oring is in place? any input would be greatly appreciated..
Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jwilsonf
Doing an ls swap in 67 camaro and removed oil pickup and had to do a little grinding and fabbin to get it to fit in pan after altering the front of it and was wondering when i put new oring on and tightened up bolt, the oring went in like it should but there is small gap on top side where there is no bolt is this a problem long as oring is in place? any input would be greatly appreciated..

That damn "o"-ring has caused many a problem. You can install a bolt on that side as well. Here's a pic. You want to use a little larger plain washer to trap the pick-up tube flange & a lock washer to ensure she won't come loose. This way, there is no doubt about the seal. Just make absolutely sure that the "o"-ring isn't pinched & has completely entered the bore.
Attached Thumbnails oil pump o ring-miata-pics-018.jpg  
Old 09-16-2008, 09:27 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Should be using a BLUE o-ring if the pickups out of and f/y body car.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Cool oil pickup

the replacement in this kit is black there also two others that are bigger, the black is the replacement for the blue ... but will it matter long as it is in the bore if it is out just a lil on the one side?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:46 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

the replacement in this kit is black there also two others that are bigger, the black is the replacement for the blue ... but will it matter long as it is in the bore if it is out just a lil on the one side?
BLACK will work inplace of BLUE.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Default o ring

but will it matter if it has a lil space on the top side of the pickup? i have read several posts that says it shouldnt and some that says it does, i put the pan back on and want to do something be fore putting in the car...
Old 09-29-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Top side of what? Are you talking about the space between the pick-up tube & the oil pan or between the pick-up tube flange & the oil pump?

In reference to your question about the "o"-ring sticking out of the bore on one side; it should not.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Default o ring

the pickup flange to oil pump.. may just take pan back off and put bolt in top side with the bigger washer just to be safe...just didn know if it would be issue with the lil bit of gap in it..
Old 09-30-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the second bolt in for peace of mind. I am. You will always wonder about it in the back of your mind if you dont.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
Put the second bolt in for peace of mind. I am. You will always wonder about it in the back of your mind if you dont.

Yah, that's your best bet. Just make sure that the "O-"ring is completely in the bore (not sticking out anywhere) before you add the second bolt.