Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TFS 215 Head MELTED!!!! WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 01:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
no gasket or spark plug will prevent that damage from happening IMO.

Every step colder in spark plug heat range lowers tempature 100-120*

So a colder plug would help, alot less timing will aslo.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brad8266
I agree 100%. It had to have been extremely hot in there to do that to the head. Did you log air/fuel by chance??

An 11:1 200 shot isnt very hard on a built 347, especially with the timing bumped way down like you had.

What would help then? your right you are...
Old 09-20-2008, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its a combo of all of your suggestions. Next time the stand alone is getting c16! The tune will be checked out just to make sure. Also I was just about to re-tq the head bolts before this happend. But this time everything is getting re-tqed a few times just to ensure that everything is perfect!!! Thank all you guys for the info.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
The plug heat range has nothing to do with that.
Probably not really anything wrong with the tune up either. Just a typical 4 bolt head with too much cylinder pressure.
I'd o-ring the heads.

Well ... We have run more comp. and way more gas on the same TFS heads with no problems at all. With that amount of nitrous I don't see the need for O-Ringing either. We have run .051 Cometics 11.5:1 comp. and a 400 shot on a LS2 with ARP Bolts on the heads with no problems at all !!!
Old 06-11-2024, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know this is a really old thread but I just ran into the exact end result with the same parts with the difference being mine is boosted. Anybody else experience this and have a known solution? Mine is also not showing any signs of knock. I have the log of the failure and it does not show signs of being lean. (.8 to .81 lambda) I'm gonna chase to theories, reinstall, and hope for the best unless you guys know of a permanent solution.
I'm gonna look very closely at the size of the bore bevel/chamfer at the top and see if the gasket is over hanging either the bore or combustion chamber at any point. I'm gonna have my injectors checked, cleaned, then re-checked in hopes of finding a semi plugged injector for cylinder number 5 which was the failure point on mine.

What would you guys do?

Last edited by ac house of go fast; 06-17-2024 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-20-2024, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 370 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by ac house of go fast
I know this is a really old thread but I just ran into the exact end result with the same parts with the difference being mine is boosted. Anybody else experience this and have a known solution? Mine is also not showing any signs of knock. I have the log of the failure and it does not show signs of being lean. (.8 to .81 lambda) I'm gonna chase to theories, reinstall, and hope for the best unless you guys know of a permanent solution.
I'm gonna look very closely at the size of the bore bevel/chamfer at the top and see if the gasket is over hanging either the bore or combustion chamber at any point. I'm gonna have my injectors checked, cleaned, then re-checked in hopes of finding a semi plugged injector for cylinder number 5 which was the failure point on mine.

What would you guys do?
I will give one bit of advice, replace the coil on that cyl. I have seen enough coils sorta lose control while running and get weird spark timing to cause major issues like yours Have bought used motors w/ one hole detonated to death and it ended up being the coil.
Old 06-20-2024, 02:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 493 Likes on 344 Posts

Since it was never asked all those years ago when this thread was started, I have to wonder what rpm people were trying to spray at. At 5000rpm, a 200 shot is no big deal, but at 2000 rpm a sudden spike in torque of over 500lbft will burn some **** down.
The following users liked this post:
DualQuadDave (06-20-2024)

Quick Reply: TFS 215 Head MELTED!!!! WTF???